Goat hunting (NZ)

Houseplant

Finally found some goats after a dry spell. Unlike most New Zealand hunters, I treat them with respect rather than a pest or target practice and am somewhat restrained in how many I shoot.  They aren't the most difficult animal to hunt, but can get a bit spooky if they receive a lot of hunting pressure. Regardless, they are a great resource for young and novice hunters. 7mm08 did the business at 60 - 100 metres. 

I harvested the back legs from the two larger animals and prepared the smaller animal for a spit roast.

Pictures to follow...

Edited by Houseplant

7 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Finally found some goats after a dry spell. Unlike most New Zealand hunters, I treat them with respect rather than a pest or target practice and am somewhat restrained in how many I shoot.  They aren't the most difficult animal to hunt, but can get a bit spooky if they receive a lot of hunting pressure. Regardless, they are a great resource for young and novice hunters. 7mm08 did the business at 60 - 100 metres. 

I harvested the back legs from the two larger animals and prepared the smaller animal for a spit roast.

Pictures to follow...

They look delicious 👍.

This might be a daft question , with a very obvious answer , but why do you only use the back legs , and not the whole carcass? .

It's a good question. With a larger calibre centrefire and classic shot placement, the shoulders are often destroyed. Goats have very small backstraps and are just not worth the effort. The smaller animal shown in the second picture was selected for cooking whole, so that was a headshot at 60 metres. It was field dressed on the spot as you can see, and is now hanging in my chiller. 

Goat is going to be cooked by an American friend. He is a BBQ wizard and will cold smoke it before spit roasting low and slow. Last time he cooked for us, everyone preferred the goat over the venison 😲

I went for another goat hunt yesterday. No goats, but got a turkey. That will be cooked the same way and added to the feast.

Hunting-Turkey1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Sad to say, no need. You pretty much just walk up to them and shoot them. Very stupid birds. Can't see why our American friends get so excited about turkey hunting. 

Agree.  I was taken on a turkey hunt down in Texas and as long as you sat still they would walk right up to you.  The CANNON I was loaned would have been over the top for goose shooting on the wash.  I was not ungrateful for the opportunity obviously and tried my best to show how I had enjoyed it.    On a couple of occasions when down there I saw them flushed from a ridge and that would be slightly better fun.

004.JPG

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Agree.  I was taken on a turkey hunt down in Texas and as long as you sat still they would walk right up to you.  The CANNON I was loaned would have been over the top for goose shooting on the wash.  I was not ungrateful for the opportunity obviously and tried my best to show how I had enjoyed it.    On a couple of occasions when down there I saw them flushed from a ridge and that would be slightly better fun.

004.JPG

I have watched a few vids of Turkey shooting in the US and have always wondered why they enjoy it so much. No different to shooting pheasants with an airgun in your back garden!

I asked once why they don't just use a rifle and apparently in a lot of states that's illegal.   

On 29/11/2020 at 08:00, Houseplant said:

Sad to say, no need. You pretty much just walk up to them and shoot them. Very stupid birds. Can't see why our American friends get so excited about turkey hunting. 

Fair enough.  I suppose there might be some sort of sporting element to be made out of it, if habitat/methods made it a bit more favourable for the birds, but it doesn't sound too much of a thrill!

Heya Houseplant - where in New Zealand are you from?  I am originally from Piha, but have been living in the UK for the past 20 years - the hunting here is pretty good, and the pigeon shooting can be outstanding depending on your location - bit hard to translate that back to NZ quarry as the old kererū would be tasty, but very frowned upon 🙂

I took my Dad out on the pigeons over standing wheat here a couple of years ago and he had a ball - he had never experienced shooting like that before 

Personally, I cant wait to get back to NZ for a hunting and fishing holiday - I had planned to bring my boy (6 at the time) back to NZ in April this year, but the bloody 'rona ruined that.  I hope the borders open soon, as we will be back in a flash 

Thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, Trenta said:

Heya Houseplant - where in New Zealand are you from?  I am originally from Piha, but have been living in the UK for the past 20 years - the hunting here is pretty good, and the pigeon shooting can be outstanding depending on your location - bit hard to translate that back to NZ quarry as the old kererū would be tasty, but very frowned upon 🙂

I took my Dad out on the pigeons over standing wheat here a couple of years ago and he had a ball - he had never experienced shooting like that before 

Personally, I cant wait to get back to NZ for a hunting and fishing holiday - I had planned to bring my boy (6 at the time) back to NZ in April this year, but the bloody 'rona ruined that.  I hope the borders open soon, as we will be back in a flash 

Thanks for sharing!

I'm from the UK. Been in NZ for 8 years. Based in Northland.

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Why would any fella want to come to the UK from NZ.  Got to be a woman involved somewhere my guess:yes:

5 hours ago, GingerCat said:

There's always a bloody woman involved.

Most likely a woman. Otherwise, people seem to want things in life that they haven't already got. I'm no different. Human nature.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi houseplant when reading about your hunting in New Zealand I thought of my dad telling me how good the country is. Dad served in the New Zealand navy during the war, he talked of good shooting and the best countryside in the world. He always said we should all go there. He served on a ( corvette) the Kiwi , in 1943 it rammed and sank a Japanese submarine of the Solomon Island’s ,the code books found on the submarine lead to the shooting down of admiral Yamamoto plane. When they got back to Auckland the crew was treated with a parade and a meal at the ( Town Hall) we came across the menu and photos that he had kept and sent them to the New Zealand navy museum . Dad didn’t talk of the navy , my brother looked it up , but he told me about the country and the hunting . I’m sure he spoke of shooting from helicopters , he would have had a go at that. Enjoy your shooting..