Is eco mode a con ?

30-6

While just normal, shopping etc, I drive my Duster in eco mode. On a motorway, I switch it off. But I seem to feel the petrol gauge drops quicker on eco than when it's off. Is this due to the shorter driving conditions ?

This is on a 1.6 petrol 4wd, driving in 2wd.

I turn eco mode off the second I get in the wife’s smart car, the only plus side to it in my eyes is the cheaper tax, I also think it’s dangerous having the engine cut out when you come to a junction/roundabout etc and not having the instant power as you go to pull away. On the fuel side of things...... it seems to go on forever on a tank of fuel but that could be due to its size and engine size though. 

had a Renault  capture on hire in ireland a couple of years ago  900cc 3 cylinder    didnt drive too bad then realized kph     wet ****  on the flat  up hill ?  4 people flat and caning the loud pedal  one day found the eco button  it was like putting a 50cc engine into a 400cc motorbike frame      my fuel bill at the weeks end was more  than my Toyota privia 2.4 auto petrol i had there the year before  all from mothers house running about days out etc wouldn't be many miles in the difference as seeing outlaws  

older son had his a4 est remapped  more horses less on fuel

younger son  bmw 1series remapped more horses less fuel 

i had a3.9  soft dash r r fitted a 300tdi   better intercooler and wound the pump up from 26 to 32mpg and more responsive 

in my opinion its a con less responsive more fuel not running efficient but under emission levels 

Edited by Saltings

Having moved many a vehicle up and down the country as a trade plate driver, I have found that in the main you get more mpg in sport mode with a light right foot than you get in eco mode with a heavy right foot.

Eco mode in the main is to reduce emissions which is why most cars default to it on startup so you always have to switch it off. Think legal emissions cheat device.....

I had an Audi S3 with eco mode, it used to disengage the gearbox when coasting which was irritating. BMW M140i had eco mode too, that just dumbed down the throttle unless you pushed it too far and all of a sudden it would set off like a stabbed rat. I coded the BMW start/stop to always be off when the car was started.

20 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

This makes no sense whatsoever.

It might not, but that's the facts.

Going to work in the morning when I've had the roads to myself the best I've ever had was around 74mpg on the trip.

Eco mode just seems to labour the engine the whole time, constantly having to use more throttle than you know you should need.

Edited by Farmboy91
Spelling

Eco mode in my manual Hilux alters the sensitivity of the throttle settings. Takes more movement of the foot peddle to get the same output. Seems to work pretty well and the full performance is there should you need it. 

The eco mode on my wifes auto disco sport seems to alter the upshift and the throttle response. It makes a significant difference to economy but it dents the performance as you have to give the throttle a full boot to get back to the full engine performance, should you need it. I prefer driving the auto in that mode as it's much more relaxed and the throttle response better suits the car. 

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

It might not, but that's the facts.

Going to work in the morning when I've had the roads to myself the best I've ever had was around 74mpg on the trip.

Eco mode just seems to labour the engine the whole time, constantly having to use more throttle than you know you should need.

To be fair VW have created a name for themselves around dodgy calibrations so anything is possible, is it a GTI or R by any chance?

I thought exactly the same thing, I've not trusted any manufacturers claims in the past.

It's a 2.0 diesel blue motion, by the fuel receipts it averages in the mid 60's most of the time.

Clarkson said it best, it's not what you drive it's how you drive.

I don't drive slow by any means, I just don't use the brakes unless I have to, always look far enough ahead so you don't have to slow down when passing someone on a duel carriage way, over taking cars that are moving too slowly because sitting behind them burns more fuel than over taking, it all adds up.

This car really is ridiculously good on juice.

I tend to only use eco mode on long motorway journeys. The biggest difference you’ll feel is the lack of response from the throttle which I really dislike during day to day driving.

My Disco Sport eco mode also turns down the AC and will turn off heated seats if they’re on, for example. It’ll basically turn off non essentials in an effort to save fuel. 

In some vehicles with auto boxes it will disengage the gearbox and coast when you take your foot of the pedal which I found annoying in my Golf and 3 Series. Doesn’t do it in the Disco Sport though.