SpheroTung 15.. 20g

Looking at recipes for the above from BP inc,  Im seeing a Cheddite and Lil Gun recipe @ 32grains lil gun and 13/8 oz  7 shot. This seems a bit excessive in a 6lb 20bore, My question is has anyone any experience of this load or similar and if so has their shoulder healed yet or am i being a total wuss..🙂

Edited by islandgun

Hi l couldn’t say what the recoil would be but that load would be a long range load. I’ve loaded TSS shot for 28gauge 18 grams and 12gauge up to 36 grams . I will be loading 24 grams for 20gauge.  I loaded 28 grams of HW13 for 20gauge ,the gun weighs five and a half pounds . With TSS it’s the same price as other heavy types of shot and you can use half the weight of shot.For flighting geese  I would use 28 to 32 grams In 20gauge. With TSS it’s recommended to use the cartridges the same size as the chamber. That’s a lot of packing in the wad. The US is way ahead of us they have TSS in .410 and after market chokes to match. When I loaded with Maxam CSB o powder l could have a  fast cartridge with low recoil. 

BPI also do 20-Gauge • 23/4" Length • SpheroTungsten Original-15 Shot • Fold Crimp

20 Cheddite Ched209 Longshot 22gr wad NC20 CSD20 (3)14C28packers in base 3/4oz 328grains 10195psi 1425fps
20 Fiocchi Fio616 Lil Gun 35gr wad CSD20 (4) 18CW28 packer in base OS20 1oz 437grains 5650psi 1300fps

Guest cookoff013

The key with this stuff is quality loading data. With low density steel, we shot it faster and faster, then after a while it got acceptable for 1400fps loafs with 1-2 and bb as standard.

These t15 and t18 are better performers, at any speed. My recomedation would be to shoot 1250-1300 max, and let the shot do the work. Given that speed and decent payloads or duplexing material means more powders become an option. 36g tungsten can be shot with A1 !. I would use steel shot as a filler. 

Shotguns were never designned to shoot 1600 -2000fps. 1100 is fine with big shot. In the respect of t 15 t18. Smaller shot becomes viable. At 1400fps mv #9 t18 is the same as #2 lead at 40 yards or meters..... Makes you think eh?

Thanks for the replies gents, from bpi's manual the 3" case loads for the 20g start at 11/8 oz and go up to 11/2 ! !,..speeds 1255 and 1010 respectively, with the 1/18 load requiring [4] 18cw as packing, I dont get the opportunity to use many in the season [although Im out often enough.😄] so Im happy to spend a bit more per bang.. I just wondered about anyone else's experience regarding recoil

Edited by islandgun

38 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Hmm.. That has never occurred to me, what would happen when you reduce the charge to suit the 28g load but still use the original 20g wad

You still use 20ga data the idea behind the 28ga wad is to save on packer's .

Personally i load smallest steel load wad again so less under shot packer's. For me 70mm case lil-gun powder 1oz of Hevi-Shot - PWS - HW15 - TSS15 or TSS18 and you will have a very very capable long range Goose load if the shot ( as all other types of shot ) in placed on the Goose right. I've been killing Geese effectively with a 20ga for nearly 50 years. Good luck with your quest keep us updated please

15 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

You still use 20ga data the idea behind the 28ga wad is to save on packer's .

Personally i load smallest steel load wad again so less under shot packer's. For me 70mm case lil-gun powder 1oz of Hevi-Shot - PWS - HW15 - TSS15 or TSS18 and you will have a very very capable long range Goose load if the shot ( as all other types of shot ) in placed on the Goose right. I've been killing Geese effectively with a 20ga for nearly 50 years. Good luck with your quest keep us updated please

cheers, So if i load the 28g tps wad load with just under an 1 oz [355 grns] and use the 20g measure of lil gun to suit the 1 oz load [35 grns] i should be good to go ?

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

cheers, So if i load the 28g tps wad load with just under an 1 oz [355 grns] and use the 20g measure of lil gun to suit the 1 oz load [35 grns] i should be good to go ?

I believe it was 28ga tps wads my mate gave me to load some 28 gauge TSS18 and i had to put .410 cork wads inside to get a good crimp finish. As for the 20 ga load you should get 1oz in the 28ga wad easily  and yes use a 20ga 1oz TSS powder charge. You could also use a Mylar Rap which could use up a bit of space. My loads i just use cork cut/punched from from sealed cork tiles inside a 21 gram steel wad and they certainly kill foreshore Pink's well

3 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Is the load number 180726-10113 

The 20g 1 oz 2/34" is, what do you think ?

3 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I believe it was 28ga tps wads my mate gave me to load some 28 gauge TSS18 and i had to put .410 cork wads inside to get a good crimp finish. As for the 20 ga load you should get 1oz in the 28ga wad easily  and yes use a 20ga 1oz TSS powder charge. You could also use a Mylar Rap which could use up a bit of space. My loads i just use cork cut/punched from from sealed cork tiles inside a 21 gram steel wad and they certainly kill foreshore Pink's well

thank you i will look into it and if you dont mind be in touch