Sir Lewis Hamilton?

B725

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Well, maybe I’m in the minority. I think he should get it. If tennis players, cricketers and football managers get them, this fellow is a cut above that crowd. It’s not just a question of driving a fast car. Some on here may think they can handle a fast car, but none will have a clue about what it’s like to travel in one of those vehicles. He has consistently been lead the pack and you can talk about how good the engineering is and how safety has improved but you still can’t take away from the fact that he is the best F1 driver of our time. I may not agree with all this taking the knee malarkey, which I personally think is bandwagon hype, but when he drives he is the best.

I think if most people devoted most of their spare time and money to driving competitively since the age of 8, they’d be pretty darn good.

knighthoods are supposed to be for extraordinary public service I believe?

what public service is driving a car around? Unless it’s a taxi?

The honours system recognises people who have:

• made achievements in public life
  • committed themselves to serving and helping Britain

They’ll usually have made life better for other people or be outstanding at what they do.

https://www.gov.uk/honours

People who don't follow F1 closely have absolutely no understanding of the dedication, sacrifice and plain hard work it takes for a driver to even GET TO Formula 1, let alone win races... let alone win a world championship... let alone win SEVEN world championships.  When a knighthood is awarded to a sportsperson, it is for carrying the British flag to the highest level in their sport.  Lewis has done that, with bells on.

Many people try to detract from his achievements by saying "It's not him, it's the car".  Even if you have the tools you still have to put them to best use.  Would you all shoot more pigeons with a hand-built pair of Purdeys?  Or, to put it another way, if you were a decent shot it wouldn't matter if you shot a £5k English work of art or a battered old Baikal, you'd bring them down just the same.

Mercedes have built a championship-winning car for seven seasons in a row, and two drivers race for each team.  How many times in those seven years has Lewis' team-mate taken the championship off him?  Once, and that took so much out of Rosberg he immediately retired!  For several of those seven seasons, Hamilton was strongly challenged not only by his team-mate but by several other opponents, most notably Vettel in 2017, who eventually crumbled and couldn't hold up to the relentless pressure of Hamilton's consistency.  And that's a four-time world champion who just couldn't hold a candle to Hamilton.  He has a unique gift for driving a four-wheeled spaceship faster than anyone else around him.  People just have to come to terms with that.  He's a once-in-a-generation talent.  Deal with it and give him the credit he deserves.

As for his off-track persona and activities... I don't really care for them at all.  I'm not into all that fashion malarkey and I'm not sure if he's really going to cut it in the music scene although he's been flirting with a few high-profile artists with rumours of some sort of collaborations in the future... I think it's just PR for both parties tbh.

All the BLM stuff.... maybe he hasn't thought out the connotations fully - but maybe he hasn't got many other viable options if he wants to speak out for equality and use his place in the spotlight to send a message to the world.  The trouble with BLM is that it isn't purely a "human rights" movement... it has political foundations.  That, I feel, is the sticking point, because it mixes up one thing with another.  I, too, am uncomfortable with this "taking a knee" thing because I feel it's an act of pledging political allegiance... it's not an act of solidarity with your fellow human in a bid to strive for equal rights.  But what else in the current world has he got to go along with, if he wants to be someone who influences the people of the world to be more accepting of people who might look a bit different from themselves?  The FIA's own equality initiative is a bit lack-lustre.

I'm slightly aghast at a few of the comments here and on other platforms across the web.  There really is some blatant racism going on.

The Monaco situation.. I don't know about the technicalities of that.  Maybe by living there he has excluded himself from eligibility for an honour.  But that's not really here nor there, nobody can take away his achievements and anyone who belittles his dominance in the most competitive form of motorsport is, in my opinion, acting out an agenda different from simply judging him as a "sportsman".

Alf Garnett is dead, in case anyone was wondering.

2 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Well, maybe I’m in the minority. I think he should get it. If tennis players, cricketers and football managers get them, this fellow is a cut above that crowd. It’s not just a question of driving a fast car. Some on here may think they can handle a fast car, but none will have a clue about what it’s like to travel in one of those vehicles. He has consistently been lead the pack and you can talk about how good the engineering is and how safety has improved but you still can’t take away from the fact that he is the best F1 driver of our time. I may not agree with all this taking the knee malarkey, which I personally think is bandwagon hype, but when he drives he is the best.

You are correct most of the people on here wouldn't even get the tyres up to temperature if they drove Lewis Hamiltons car. 

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

If he is judged on his contribution to motor racing - give it to him.

If he is judged on his loyalty to the UK - forget it.

If it is judged on his character - complete with his questionable standards - forget it.

im with you  snotty  brat         loyalty to his dad and step mom / partner  who spent absolutely everything  to get him there      discusting    sacked his dad as manager       seriously  lacking    his dads sacrifices everything inc his partner house        got him there            i have friends in motorsport industry         rallyart  and others       who say if you can do the job the best  you have it   tec or driver       ethnicity dont come into it and never will        as any country employs the best driver  the best tecs mechanics      you got to be the best      every day        however put an average driver in the best car today      and put  him in an average car   its anyone's  trophy        hes in the best car and team   to date             what has he done for his dad and stepmom  to repay the years of going without   to afford his lifestyle                            he is a taker                           nigel  manse sacrificed everything  e mortgaged  his house      cleaned windows  and every  day  bloke     a win found his wife in the crowds  every time  every    time        hugged her     before  fore       all others                 not like today arm candy    today     fake tits 

Edited by Saltings

5 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I dislike the man, I don’t know why. If he deserves a knighthood then so be it, but he should be paying his due taxes in the UK. 

better people who do good inc charitably without monetary reward  or recognition  deserve this better than lewis h  many others steps up to help a comunite every day 365  with no reward  celebs turn up for a day or two  bs  solves nout  they feel better 

6 minutes ago, Saltings said:

better people who do good inc charitably without monetary reward  or recognition  deserve this better than lewis h  many others steps up to help a comunite every day 365  with no reward  celebs turn up for a day or two  bs  solves nout  they feel better 

the  new  system edit like  submit  a bitch 

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

https://www.gov.uk/honours

People who don't follow F1 closely have absolutely no understanding of the dedication, sacrifice and plain hard work it takes for a driver to even GET TO Formula 1, let alone win races... let alone win a world championship... let alone win SEVEN world championships.  When a knighthood is awarded to a sportsperson, it is for carrying the British flag to the highest level in their sport.  Lewis has done that, with bells on.

Many people try to detract from his achievements by saying "It's not him, it's the car".  Even if you have the tools you still have to put them to best use.  Would you all shoot more pigeons with a hand-built pair of Purdeys?  Or, to put it another way, if you were a decent shot it wouldn't matter if you shot a £5k English work of art or a battered old Baikal, you'd bring them down just the same.

Mercedes have built a championship-winning car for seven seasons in a row, and two drivers race for each team.  How many times in those seven years has Lewis' team-mate taken the championship off him?  Once, and that took so much out of Rosberg he immediately retired!  For several of those seven seasons, Hamilton was strongly challenged not only by his team-mate but by several other opponents, most notably Vettel in 2017, who eventually crumbled and couldn't hold up to the relentless pressure of Hamilton's consistency.  And that's a four-time world champion who just couldn't hold a candle to Hamilton.  He has a unique gift for driving a four-wheeled spaceship faster than anyone else around him.  People just have to come to terms with that.  He's a once-in-a-generation talent.  Deal with it and give him the credit he deserves.

As for his off-track persona and activities... I don't really care for them at all.  I'm not into all that fashion malarkey and I'm not sure if he's really going to cut it in the music scene although he's been flirting with a few high-profile artists with rumours of some sort of collaborations in the future... I think it's just PR for both parties tbh.

All the BLM stuff.... maybe he hasn't thought out the connotations fully - but maybe he hasn't got many other viable options if he wants to speak out for equality and use his place in the spotlight to send a message to the world.  The trouble with BLM is that it isn't purely a "human rights" movement... it has political foundations.  That, I feel, is the sticking point, because it mixes up one thing with another.  I, too, am uncomfortable with this "taking a knee" thing because I feel it's an act of pledging political allegiance... it's not an act of solidarity with your fellow human in a bid to strive for equal rights.  But what else in the current world has he got to go along with, if he wants to be someone who influences the people of the world to be more accepting of people who might look a bit different from themselves?  The FIA's own equality initiative is a bit lack-lustre.

I'm slightly aghast at a few of the comments here and on other platforms across the web.  There really is some blatant racism going on.

The Monaco situation.. I don't know about the technicalities of that.  Maybe by living there he has excluded himself from eligibility for an honour.  But that's not really here nor there, nobody can take away his achievements and anyone who belittles his dominance in the most competitive form of motorsport is, in my opinion, acting out an agenda different from simply judging him as a "sportsman".

Alf Garnett is dead, in case anyone was wondering.

This is a really good balanced post to answer another post about Nigle Mansell I met him and his family some years ago and believe me he had attitude a plenty to be at the top of the sport you have to have attitude as Carl Foggerty once said " I can't believe some of the things that I've said and done to become world champion. 

13 hours ago, Gordon R said:

If he is judged on his contribution to motor racing - give it to him.

If he is judged on his loyalty to the UK - forget it.

If it is judged on his character - complete with his questionable standards - forget it.

^^^This, as a driver he is outstanding, as a person he is a.... I can't finish as it will get me banned.

Edited by Newbie to this

I do hope they see sense and never give him it.

All he has done is ditch the UK to save on his tax bill, yes I'd do the same but wouldn't be after a knighthood.

All his bend a knee for BLM whilst in F1 stinks. F1 should never be a platform for anything other than motor racing.

Sir Sterling Moss was great ambassador for motor racing and done lots for the sport and lived here, same with Sir Jackie Stewart. If in a few facades Lewis is still involved and doing his bit then consider him for a knighthood.

Beckham had academies to bring young ones on in football. Lives here pays his dues. Not political or outspoken, still can't get one.

Edited by figgy