Sir Lewis Hamilton?

B725

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

just for old times sake i chuck'em in the tumble drier and breath in that heady aroma.........

ooooh the good old days eh...

We all need a hobby Simon,  theirs much worse things that we could be doing mate . We could be nicking skiddy undercrackers like dave 😅

22 hours ago, AVB said:

As far as I can recall there are only four people associated with motor racing who have been knighted. Two drivers, one owner and one designer. Jacky Stewart and Sterling Moss, Frank Williams and Patrick Head. Regardless of your thoughts regarding Hamilton’s behaviour outside of the race track or his political views does anybody not think his achievements at least match any of those four? 

No I don't, the four above put many many years in to the sport. Even after retirement put many years and a lot of time and effort into promoting and being ambassadors for the sport. Lewis is still racing, wait another twenty years see how he does then offer him a blue Peter badge.

Knighthoods are for extraordinary public service. 

Surely there are nurses who do far more for the public for far less reward.

A massive list of people who do more fore the public, binmen, bus drivers, all those who volunteered in the floods, the elderly soldier who walked round his garden, the list goes on. Just because Lewis is famous doesnt make him worthy...

14 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Knighthoods are for extraordinary public service. 

Surely there are nurses who do far more for the public for far less reward.

A massive list of people who do more fore the public, binmen, bus drivers, all those who volunteered in the floods, the elderly soldier who walked round his garden, the list goes on. Just because Lewis is famous doesnt make him worthy...

That might be what you what the criteria to be but the official line is that ‘the person nominated will have made a major contribution to the country at a national or international level; their work and achievements will be viewed as an inspiration to others; and they may have influenced their peers, industry or the nation through their sustained and outstanding commitment to their chosen area.’

30 minutes ago, AVB said:

That might be what you what the criteria to be but the official line is that ‘the person nominated will have made a major contribution to the country at a national or international level; their work and achievements will be viewed as an inspiration to others; and they may have influenced their peers, industry or the nation through their sustained and outstanding commitment to their chosen area.’

Oh. It wasn’t my criteria, I had read it somewhere. 

But still, how has Lewis made a major contribution to the country? 

I suppose f1 fans might say he has, like football fans might say beckham has. But I still believe that there are many who have contributed more, but just don’t get tv time or newspaper columns because they earn less than £30k rather than millions. 

The lads done well, regardless of what advantages he had, if any. He is arguably the best driver at this moment, maybe the best ever in an F1 car.

He chooses to live where he wants to. Pays what taxes are due. If I had his money, I don’t think I would stay in the UK. I’m sure lots of people wouldn’t.

He hasn’t asked for a knighthood. He was put forward for one. There will be thousands of people likely more deserving of one but that’s simply how the system appears to be. 

You can’t blame a guy for being successful, especially when supported by the best team. He’s done the best he can.

I can’t say I much like him, but then I don’t know him and I’ll never move in the circles he does.

It’s good we have a British world champion though, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, Duckandswing said:

The lads done well, regardless of what advantages he had, if any. He is arguably the best driver at this moment, maybe the best ever in an F1 car.

He chooses to live where he wants to. Pays what taxes are due. If I had his money, I don’t think I would stay in the UK. I’m sure lots of people wouldn’t.

He hasn’t asked for a knighthood. He was put forward for one. There will be thousands of people likely more deserving of one but that’s simply how the system appears to be. 

You can’t blame a guy for being successful, especially when supported by the best team. He’s done the best he can.

I can’t say I much like him, but then I don’t know him and I’ll never move in the circles he does.

This. 

8 hours ago, Duckandswing said:

That's not the point, the point is, he's done nothing to deserve one. No one on here has said he's not a very talented f1 driver.