Renewal times

kingsy18

My club FAC has been with Durham since April. 

Had an FEO visit almost 4 months ago, then sent a variation form (which I hadn't asked for) to complete a month ago.

I emailed the licensing manager 2 weeks ago requesting an update on the situation and have not had the courtesy of a reply.

They are currently issuing an automatic 8 week extension for Fac & Sgc renewals if not completed before expiry of the existing license. 

I've also had copies of letters/emails sent to our members adding a further 6 month extension for Sgc renewals still not completed within the 8 week extension.  This should be a documented Section 7 certificate but nothing has been supplied in writing.

Of course Covid is getting a lot of the blame for this but in truth even back last December they were having around a 3 month delay. 

According to BASC back in February (so pre-Covid) the forces with the greatest deterioration in firearms licensing service were Durham, West Midlands and Lancashire.

Edited by phaedra1106

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Mate has had his renewal back after 8 weeks, his S7 ( which they seem to issue as a matter of course nowadays ) expired at 7 weeks. That’s Cumbria. 

It does seem strange that before Lockdown you hardly ever saw a S7 issued, they always claimed they were too busy!

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It does seem strange that before Lockdown you hardly ever saw a S7 issued, they always claimed they were too busy!

At last renewal around four years ago now, my FEO brought a S7 with him when he came to inspect my security, so it’s maybe just a thing with Cumbria? He even offered to give me my expiring but still current tickets back if I needed ammo.
I have no criticism of Cumbria licensing so far, they’ve always been fair enough with me. 

Just now, Scully said:

At last renewal around four years ago now, my FEO brought a S7 with him when he came to inspect my security, so it’s maybe just a thing with Cumbria? He even offered to give me my expiring but still current tickets back if I needed ammo.
I have no criticism of Cumbria licensing so far, they’ve always been fair enough with me. 

Wow! What an enlightened approach from Cumbria Firearms Licensing.:good:

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 15:43, samboy said:

Applied for my coterminous in July. I rang them 3 weeks ago and they said it is in hand. Mine runs out

in December but they have given me an extension until February. I'm with the Met and have had no

problems with them in the last 39 years.

For the first time ever, same here in Devon & Cornwall (plus Dorset for firearms/shotguns). My application went in in good time for a December renewal and have just been told that I have the Section 28B 8 week extension. As I renewed manually as opposed via the internet my cert's were sent off so I've asked for my FAC back as I have a new rifle hopefully just about to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned Devon & Cornwall (Dorset based myself) and checked processing times. I applied for SGC for the first time early November.
Woman said they are prioritising renewals and still haven't picked up where they left off in March when the first lockdown happened and the were forced to down tools.

She was helpful and polite - but can't help but wonder why FEO's dont need to carry on like all the other public services and trades. If masks are worn and things done sensibly I don't see it being less risky than a carer/plumber/chimney sweep etc. But I understand FEOs want to form a solid and careful opinion of that individuals living situation and stability to possess a shotgun - think im probably a little bias and eager to get back to shooting.