A days fishing

Farmboy91

My lad has asked me if I will take him fishing, he wants us to have a day out together and fishing had piqued he's interest.

Aside from a trip on a mackerel boat and one carp I pulled out of one of the ponds where I used to work (purely by chance) I know nowt about fishing nor own any gear. 

He's not overly keen on shooting and I'm not going to push him into to but if he takes to fishing that would be fine with me so, Is there anywhere anyone on here knows of where a days fishing, kit and maybe a bit of guidance can be had? 

Suffolk area ideally but Norfolk/Essex would do too.

Cheers all. 

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

My lad has asked me if I will take him fishing, he wants us to have a day out together and fishing had piqued he's interest.

Aside from a trip on a mackerel boat and one carp I pulled out of one of the ponds where I used to work (purely by chance) I know nowt about fishing nor own any gear. 

He's not overly keen on shooting and I'm not going to push him into to but if he takes to fishing that would be fine with me so, Is there anywhere anyone on here knows of where a days fishing, kit and maybe a bit of guidance can be had? 

Suffolk area ideally but Norfolk/Essex would do too.

Cheers all. 

Hello, been there myself but many many years ago, is there a local Angling club near you ? Some fishing lakes businesses hire tackle, even catch your own trout, you can buy a kit cheap enough, my advice is a local pond or lake and a few hours with lots of hot tea, shame you so far , good luck

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, been there myself but many many years ago, is there a local Angling club near you ? Some fishing lakes businesses hire tackle, even catch your own trout, you can buy a kit cheap enough, my advice is a local pond or lake and a few hours with lots of hot tea, shame you so far , good luck

Ps you could start with a good fishing instruction book👍

i would book a couple of places on a charter boat,they hire gear out for the day,skippers are usually very helpfull and have local knowledge of fishing grounds,and they they want you to come back again,its in their interests for you to have a decent day,try an see how he likes it,and you get to eat what you catch,assuming they,re are legal sizes of course.

It’s important for him to catch something and have a good experience picking a nice day is going to help 

proberably catching a undersized fish will help that’ll teach him how to catch and release safely not so easy with a bigger fish 

I’m sure there’s a member near you that will recommend a good pond lake area sea wall pier ect 

usually take the kids to a bay/ sea wall near me and catch wrass measuring each one and adding the total = longest fish it’s a good bit of fun for the top of the tide 

best of luck with your new hobby 😊😂

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Ps you could start with a good fishing instruction book👍

I did spend a little time looking on Google, there's a big lake in near Bramford that I will give a call after the lockdown is finished.

Ill keep an eye out for a book, do you have any suggestions? should it go well ill look for some basic second hand gear too, thanks for the suggestions and reply 👍

1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

i would book a couple of places on a charter boat,they hire gear out for the day,skippers are usually very helpfull and have local knowledge of fishing grounds,and they they want you to come back again,its in their interests for you to have a decent day,try an see how he likes it,and you get to eat what you catch,assuming they,re are legal sizes of course.

I did look at charter/day fishing trips last night, there's on in Lowestoft which is something like 8.30-5.00 at £50 pp which is a bit much if he decides after an hour he's hand enough. I'll keep an eye out for a half day one too. He did mention cooking and eating what we catch which is a positive thing to me, he's always been keen to have a try of whatever I've shot in the past.

Thanks for your reply 👍

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

It’s important for him to catch something and have a good experience picking a nice day is going to help 

proberably catching a undersized fish will help that’ll teach him how to catch and release safely not so easy with a bigger fish 

I’m sure there’s a member near you that will recommend a good pond lake area sea wall pier ect 

usually take the kids to a bay/ sea wall near me and catch wrass measuring each one and adding the total = longest fish it’s a good bit of fun for the top of the tide 

best of luck with your new hobby 😊😂

When he first said about it I did say to him it's called fishing and not catching for a reason 😂 

But yeah I would definitely like him to catch something and feel that excitement of a tug on then line. I did get taken fishing off Weymouth pier once for mackerel too but never caught anything, wish I could remember more of it now but the bloke I was with did most of the rod related bits. 

Thank you 👍

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I will do some research on a book as so many and let you know, cheers

Cheers 👍 as I said I litteraly know zip on fishing haha.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Are you close to water that can be fished 

licence is required for freshwater (depending upon age) 

it would be a help to know what type river pond canal estuary sea wall 

There's a couple ponds close and the river that runs through the local town but it all belongs to the same fishing club. 

I'm not fussed what we fish and I don't think my lad is either, think he's just looking forward to a day out with he's dad more than anything. Travel around the local counties isn't a problem if I can find somewhere that will supply the gear etc 

As said above  don’t fall foul of the licensing for freshwater fishing, you can get a day licence from the post office website I think it’s about £8.

Dependant on what part of Essex you are I could possibly loan some gear and give some pointers (obviously once lockdown restrictions are lifted). 

if you google local day ticket fishing it will bring up plenty of local facilities. Or have a look at these links :- https://anglingtrust.net/go-fishing/get-fishing/

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/lets-fish/find-a-free-fishing-event

Small children don’t need a rod license as far as I know. 

Quantity over quality keeps children interested. 

I posted this on another thread a while ago but thought I’d copy and paste as it may be of interest to you:

We were on a trip in Staffordshire last year with my sister and came across a little fishing pond, we started pond dipping with their cane handled net. My oldest two boys (then aged 4 & 2) saw the fishermen and wanted to have a go catching with a line themselves. I quickly made a rod from a twiggy reed, found some cast off old line and hook, then begged a handful of sweetcorn from another angler. My boys loved it and together caught and released 42 Rudd, I gave them no instruction it just came naturally to them even striking when they felt a nibble.

973A9CD7-8677-410C-899C-9AC0A62B26D4.jpeg

29ED9FE6-0F53-4DCF-89D1-C94BA1A2C9AA.jpeg

1F3A77FB-9B21-4D7E-B266-59A663982FC0.jpeg

84255F0D-F0D5-4DC1-91F0-BC98CDEB0259.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

As said above  don’t fall foul of the licensing for freshwater fishing, you can get a day licence from the post office website I think it’s about £8.

Dependant on what part of Essex you are I could possibly loan some gear and give some pointers (obviously once lockdown restrictions are lifted). 

if you google local day ticket fishing it will bring up plenty of local facilities. Or have a look at these links :- https://anglingtrust.net/go-fishing/get-fishing/

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/lets-fish/find-a-free-fishing-event

Lovely old job, thank you for the pointers 👍

Thank you for the offer too, I'm about 20-25 minutes from Colchester.

I'm probably going to hang on doing it till next year anyway, weather reasons more than anything else, I don't think he'll enjoy it if he's cold and it's miserable out and I don't want to risk putting him off. 

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Small children don’t need a rod license as far as I know. 

Quantity over quality keeps children interested. 

Definitely, I know he likes the idea of catching something and cooking it up but once he's got a fish in the line I don't think he'll care what it is lol.

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thank you for the offer too, I'm about 20-25 minutes from Colchester.

I'm probably going to hang on doing it till next year anyway, weather reasons more than anything else, I don't think he'll enjoy it if he's cold and it's miserable out and I don't want to risk putting him off. 

I’m in Witham, so not to far at all, my offer is open ended so feel free to drop me a pm anytime you like 👍🏻 

46 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Cheers 👍 as I said I litteraly know zip on fishing haha.

There's a couple ponds close and the river that runs through the local town but it all belongs to the same fishing club. 

I'm not fussed what we fish and I don't think my lad is either, think he's just looking forward to a day out with he's dad more than anything. Travel around the local counties isn't a problem if I can find somewhere that will supply the gear etc 

Hi Farmboy91, don't want to put down or trump anyone's offers, but if you ever need any "starter" tackle, I've got plenty I'd be glad to pass on to you if and when you need some. Everything but a rod and landing net handle,,,, as mine are probably too long for a youngster to use. Apart from those, everything else you're likely to need 😉 Just message me on here 🙂

Also, try contacting your local clubs, as some offer assisted days to help youngsters into the sport. No harm in asking 👍

46 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I’m in Witham, so not to far at all, my offer is open ended so feel free to drop me a pm anytime you like 👍🏻 

12 minutes ago, JKD said:

Hi Farmboy91, don't want to put down or trump anyone's offers, but if you ever need any "starter" tackle, I've got plenty I'd be glad to pass on to you if and when you need some. Everything but a rod and landing net handle,,,, as mine are probably too long for a youngster to use. Apart from those, everything else you're likely to need 😉 Just message me on here 🙂

Also, try contacting your local clubs, as some offer assisted days to help youngsters into the sport. No harm in asking 👍

Thank you both 👍 more than happy to drop a few beers as a thank you in return. 

I'll see if I can grab the bloke who runs one of the ponds in the village and see what he says, hopefully by the time the weather is better I'll have something sorted for him.

Hello, under 13 do not need a licence, 13 to 16 do but it's free anyway, I can still remember taking my 2 sons in the  1980s 

11 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thank you both 👍 more than happy to drop a few beers as a thank you in return. 

I'll see if I can grab the bloke who runs one of the ponds in the village and see what he says, hopefully by the time the weather is better I'll have something sorted for him.

Well done 👍

I would wait until its warmer to take him freshwater fishing. Farm pond, keep it simple. Match rod, reel or telescopic whip. Simple tackle. Landing net disgorger, tin of sweetcorn n don't forget to get pic of his first fish. The Bramford lakes you mentioned Farmboy is Suffolk Water Park.Park. They do teach ins. Half day £80.00 two peps. All in. They also do cracking all day breakfast there to.😉 If he like it G.A.P.S and Gipping Valley Angling Clubs good, have plenty of waters and have junior sections. Plenty of gear on car boots. Youtube got plenty of instructional vids. If sea/beach Plenty of whiting at Dunwich/Felixstowe and few cod at Aldebrough at mo.          NB 

Maybe a bit off the mark here, but perhaps a put and take trout fishery would be a good choice. If youngsters can see fish in clear water, then it gets them fired up, plus no issues with bashing a fish on the head and taking it home for dinner. It can be expensive, but a lot of places do junior tickets. You may even get a bit of tuition thrown in for free if you explain the situation. 

If you have no knowledge or kit yourself look for a local fishing coach. A quick google gave me this but there will be lots about. 

https://www.wassfishingtackle.co.uk/angling-coaching-initiative/

Many of these guys are top match anglers and do coaching for a living. They provide the kit, sort the venues out and will get your lad catching loads of fish straight away.

Will be more expensive but better than buying rubbish kit yourself because you dont know what your doing, failing to catch because you dont know what your doing - and putting him off for life.

11 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

I would wait until its warmer to take him freshwater fishing. Farm pond, keep it simple. Match rod, reel or telescopic whip. Simple tackle. Landing net disgorger, tin of sweetcorn n don't forget to get pic of his first fish. The Bramford lakes you mentioned Farmboy is Suffolk Water Park.Park. They do teach ins. Half day £80.00 two peps. All in. They also do cracking all day breakfast there to.😉 If he like it G.A.P.S and Gipping Valley Angling Clubs good, have plenty of waters and have junior sections. Plenty of gear on car boots. Youtube got plenty of instructional vids. If sea/beach Plenty of whiting at Dunwich/Felixstowe and few cod at Aldebrough at mo.          NB 

Suffolk water park, that's the one couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

I'll keep them in mind too, I did have one of those breakfasts before and wasn't well after so that put me off lol. 

Shame the two ponds on my perm haven't got anything in really because they would have been ideal. 

Thanks NB 👍

11 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Maybe a bit off the mark here, but perhaps a put and take trout fishery would be a good choice. If youngsters can see fish in clear water, then it gets them fired up, plus no issues with bashing a fish on the head and taking it home for dinner. It can be expensive, but a lot of places do junior tickets. You may even get a bit of tuition thrown in for free if you explain the situation. 

Cheers, I'll have to have a look and see if there's anything like that round here for the future if he enjoys it.

Thank you 👍

1 hour ago, MirokuMK70 said:

If you have no knowledge or kit yourself look for a local fishing coach. A quick google gave me this but there will be lots about. 

https://www.wassfishingtackle.co.uk/angling-coaching-initiative/

Many of these guys are top match anglers and do coaching for a living. They provide the kit, sort the venues out and will get your lad catching loads of fish straight away.

Will be more expensive but better than buying rubbish kit yourself because you dont know what your doing, failing to catch because you dont know what your doing - and putting him off for life.

Thank you, to be honest I didn't even know where to start looking. 

It's one of them things where not putting him off is the biggest thing for me. 

Apologies for the late reply, neglected to check the thread!

Thanks for the suggestion @Westley I'll have a look for a copy next time we're shopping.

@Dave at keltonwhen I was in my teens a few of the lads I used to hang about with fished, went down to the rivers and pond that's local and watched a few times but never took any serious interest, wish I had now haha. 

I am pretty sure you can still go sea fishing from Yarmouth , but I think it would be a day and not half a day .

I used to take parties out on a Sunday with my brother and to be honest I wouldn't advice taking your lad in the Winter , you would need to book up a few days ahead and not knowing what the weather is going to be like on the day , apart from a strong N / Easterly wind we would be out in most conditions , if you had a gale from the West then you stuck close to the beach to get the protection from the cliffs , the roughest bit would be going out of the harbour with the big rolling waves .

Sitting in the boat for up to eight hours in freezing sleet is not every ones ideal way to spend a Sunday , if we had a party of eight we didn't have enough room on deck to fish ourselves so we would stay in the cabin brewing a cup of tea and reading the News Of The World , now that is going back a bit .

Both my brothers were at the time in the lifeboat crew and Sunday was a training day , one Sunday we had a youngster who wasn't feeling that great , normally if they were only sick they would have to stick it out till we pulled up anchor around 4pm , on this day the lifeboat was already out at sea training so my brother called my other brother on the radio to pick up this lad and take him back in when they were finished what they had to do , no sooner had he put the radio down you could see the main lifeboat lift out of the water in the distance and was heading towards us with the Blue on during a good rate of knots , talk about going over board ( excuse the pun ) , anyhow they soon drew alongside and the lad was transferred over and he got a lift back in a lifeboat which made his day .

Sea sickness could put your lad off fishing for life , Beware  ,   GOOD LUCK

47 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am pretty sure you can still go sea fishing from Yarmouth , but I think it would be a day and not half a day .

I used to take parties out on a Sunday with my brother and to be honest I wouldn't advice taking your lad in the Winter , you would need to book up a few days ahead and not knowing what the weather is going to be like on the day , apart from a strong N / Easterly wind we would be out in most conditions , if you had a gale from the West then you stuck close to the beach to get the protection from the cliffs , the roughest bit would be going out of the harbour with the big rolling waves .

Sitting in the boat for up to eight hours in freezing sleet is not every ones ideal way to spend a Sunday , if we had a party of eight we didn't have enough room on deck to fish ourselves so we would stay in the cabin brewing a cup of tea and reading the News Of The World , now that is going back a bit .

Both my brothers were at the time in the lifeboat crew and Sunday was a training day , one Sunday we had a youngster who wasn't feeling that great , normally if they were only sick they would have to stick it out till we pulled up anchor around 4pm , on this day the lifeboat was already out at sea training so my brother called my other brother on the radio to pick up this lad and take him back in when they were finished what they had to do , no sooner had he put the radio down you could see the main lifeboat lift out of the water in the distance and was heading towards us with the Blue on during a good rate of knots , talk about going over board ( excuse the pun ) , anyhow they soon drew alongside and the lad was transferred over and he got a lift back in a lifeboat which made his day .

Sea sickness could put your lad off fishing for life , Beware  ,   GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the reply MM, (throughly enjoy reading your posts like that)

I know he likes the idea of sea fishing as he wants to eat what we catch, I agree though I know neither of us want to be out on a boat that long or in bad weather 😂 when we went mackerel fishing down in Devon we was out for around 2 1/2 hours and that was plenty. After about an hour he said he felt sick, then the bloke whipped the cool box out with the cans of drink and bars of chocolate and he decided he was hungry instead 😂 

I remember when I was younger and used to stay with my stepdad in Felixstowe on the weekends and there would be people fishing off the beach but I haven't been back for a while now so not sure if people still do?