Forwards planning overall funeral costs.

Dave-G

I think most elderly people like to plan ahead for their funeral funding to avoid causing any financial burden for their kids.

Of course we don't anticipate it happening any time soon but would like to know a rough idea of what we should be setting aside for a no frills service, cremation and small room hire for a little send off at today's approximate prices if anyone can offer advice. This would be in the midlands to take regional cost of living/business rates etc into consideration.

Hello, paid for mine years ago Dave, was standard cost at the time, did same with my mother, I paid £2000 back then and it was years on when mum died but the up to date cost was about £4000, mines just a basic no frills contract, I just did not want to burden my 2 sons when the time came, but like you say there's still life left in us oldies 🙄😁

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, paid for mine years ago Dave, was standard cost at the time, did same with my mother, I paid £2000 back then and it was years on when mum died but the up to date cost was about £4000, mines just a basic no frills contract, I just did not want to burden my 2 sons when the time came, but like you say there's still life left in us oldies 🙄😁

Bless - I've had a quick look and a simple cremation with the Coop in Leicester is about 2K ish so I'm thinking budget £3K.

We have both decided we don't want corteges etc - just a simple meet at the crematorium for a small service then away we go really.

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

Bless - I've had a quick look and a simple cremation with the Coop in Leicester is about 2K ish so I'm thinking budget £3K.

We have both decided we don't want corteges etc - just a simple meet at the crematorium for a small service then away we go really.

Hello, must be more expensive around here, I seem to remember paying around £2000 with the Co op but Son has the paper work, yes same here on simple 😁 

My mom did a bit of research,  and has given me an envelope with 4k , and instructions for her funeral and ashes.  I've assured her that I will spend the 4k on a new ferreting spade so that I can bury her in the garden , and I'll be spending the rest of the money on a new gun.

9 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

My mom did a bit of research,  and has given me an envelope with 4k , and instructions for her funeral and ashes.  I've assured her that I will spend the 4k on a new ferreting spade so that I can bury her in the garden , and I'll be spending the rest of the money on a new gun.

Hello, new gun and ferreting spade mel 😁 my mum use to joke about this but when all said and done I was glad I pre paid like myself as well, 🤔😁

51 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

:lol::good:

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I will be making my own willow coffin and will dig a hole down the bottom of the croft [if i can find a dry bit] any cash can go on drink 

Well if its peaty ground you will be well preserved, just for a bit of fun you should get buried in oilskins, with a few flint tools and a bow and arrow, that will have them scratching their heads when they dig you up in a few thousand years. :)

39 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well if its peaty ground you will be well preserved, just for a bit of fun you should get buried in oilskins, with a few flint tools and a bow and arrow, that will have them scratching their heads when they dig you up in a few thousand years. :)

lol, oilskins, bow and arrow, thats my day to day stuff

Around 3.5 k is the average, I asked the funeral people. 

Now with cremation oy services and hearse no cars it can be much cheaper. 

I'm happy if they wrap me in a sheet wheel me in a handcart and just burn me, I'm gone and don't want money wasting when I'd rather they enjoy it.

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

I will be making my own willow coffin and will dig a hole down the bottom of the croft [if i can find a dry bit] any cash can go on drink 

You are not planning too long an illness then?🤣 1. Wake up feeling a little under the weather 2. Dig grave and make coffin 3. Have lunch 4. Climb into coffin 👍

40 minutes ago, figgy said:

Around 3.5 k is the average, I asked the funeral people. 

Now with cremation oy services and hearse no cars it can be much cheaper. 

I'm happy if they wrap me in a sheet wheel me in a handcart and just burn me, I'm gone and don't want money wasting when I'd rather they enjoy it.

+1 

I nearly took out plans for my wife and myself. After thought, I told my two boys to cash in our premium bonds. 6k each, so no interest, any more will have to be found via our estate. I hope that we are going to be around for a bit, but I think that would cover it.

It's money we saved especially for this and hopefully we won't have to dip into it.

I bought a funeral plan from the Co-op a few years ago, I'm sure it was £2100 for a cremation but you can specify what you want. The price is going up all the time and I would advise anyone to pay for what you want now, then that's it.

Much better than £10 a month as advertised on the tele.

8 hours ago, clangerman said:

why give anyone the chance to rip you of with a funeral told the kids to take the cash and chuck me in the nearest skip 

I hope you were joking, because if you don't have enough money your children will have to pay for your funeral.

20 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i will be disappointed if they do my money is for them not some greedy funeral scam everyone involved in funerals has their hand out 

Bit of a sweeping statement 

bit like saying all car dealers are robbers 

not a job I’d want at the moment or anytime 

I found local undertaker incredibly good and helpful worth every penny 

My parents bought funeral plans from the COOP. At the time they cost £1100 each. When my Mum passed her funeral would have cost £2000. When Dad passed it would have been £2800. We bought funeral plans from the COOP for us.  They cost £3000 each, but that price is now fixed for what we chose. Its peace of mind knowing that its all paid for and no extra costs needed. If the family want a party after they can have a bbq.

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

You could also donate your body to medical science then they dispose of the body all free 👍when your brown bread who cares 😂

there's been a post about that on here before ,if memory serves, it was about bodies being left out in woods to study how they decompose and some ones dog running about with human arm !