Intelligence and Experience are the key.

Clodhopper

Sadly JDog and I have neither!

This morning we decided that our daily exercise (meeting one  other) would take the form of flighting some pigeons coming out of a large softwood plantation. A good wind was forecast which should channel the birds along a stream and enable us to intercept them. JDog had seen upwards of 1000 pigeons using this route only yesterday so we were mildly excited.

We social distanced ourselves about 50m apart on a lovely laid hedgerow adjacent to small stream. Of course the birds did not take this route but  opted to fly along the valley of a ploughed field on the western edge of the stream. We moved to get nearer the line. JDog hid in some willows and I stood in the stream amongst the willow herb. 

We were still not quite on the line but a few birds passed near enough for a shot. We only managed 1 for around a dozen shots between us.

However we did see a Stonechat loitering  amongst the dead Thistles and Long Tailed Tits that came dancing around the willow tree that the Dog was concealed in.

I also found out that I had a hole in my left boot. JDog also had a hole in his boot but experience told him not to stand i the stream!

A very pleasant morning despite that lack of shooting and we both confirmed the fact that we still know naff all about pigeon shooting.

In reality , what we know is very little when it comes to what we need to know to get the maximum out of our sport in reducing the pigeon population , after many , many years of devoting most of our spare time and time that wasn't spare we are still no nearer of working out how a Wood Pigeon thinks . in a way it's a good thing as it give our brain something to do while if the reports are right the Pigeon population is as high , if not higher than it have ever been .

Nice report by the way , give it another go when you think it is hardly worth it , then if it was a success , try and work out why , if it wasn't , well it was one of those rare times you got it right :hmm:          MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

In reality , what we know is very little when it comes to what we need to know to get the maximum out of our sport in reducing the pigeon population , after many , many years of devoting most of our spare time and time that wasn't spare we are still no nearer of working out how a Wood Pigeon thinks . in a way it's a good thing as it give our brain something to do while if the reports are right the Pigeon population is as high , if not higher than it have ever been .

Nice report by the way , give it another go when you think it is hardly worth it , then if it was a success , try and work out why , if it wasn't , well it was one of those rare times you got it right           MM

For me the big draw of pigeon shooting is trying to work out the birds and then formulate a cunning plan. More often than not I am out smarted. I think that’s why I try first thing in t he morning when the birds are still half asleep!!

2 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

For me the big draw of pigeon shooting is trying to work out the birds and then formulate a cunning plan. More often than not I am out smarted. I think that’s why I try first thing in t he morning when the birds are still half asleep!!

So what your saying is an half asleep bird brain pigeon can still out  smart you🤪🤪🤪

1 minute ago, JDog said:

The Stonechat and 24 Long tailed tits within 5m were the highlights of our session.

As we met in the dark the Landowner pulled up thinking we might be quad bikers. We might be scruffy disreputables but never quad bikers.

Well your Saturdays  improved by one bird  😜😜😜every pigeon I see flying seems to be at an astronomical height even on windy days ... can’t see me having a better day tomorrow but it’s worth a go

6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Nice day out 👍😊

and the moral of the story is if you’re shooting by a river have some good boots 😂😂😂😂

My right foot had a good day out. Only the left was disgruntled. 

Next Saturday will see me in the local Agric. supplier purchasing a new left boot😁😁🤣.

52 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

So what your saying is an half asleep bird brain pigeon can still out  smart you🤪🤪🤪

It really doesn’t take much.  😁🤣.

However my hunting did improve this afternoon as I managed to sneak up on some Leeks in my allotment, got 5 in the bag in no time at all.

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Will you get the cheapest one at coulor coordinate 

or a by one get one free offer 

The buy one get one free offer is the way I will go, but it never seems like much of a saving.

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

i went today expecting to blank wasn’t disappointed and used dead birds need some cold weather or the acorns to run out back to watching and waiting glad i give farmers good scotch for this game 

I was out feeding pheasant this morning and saw the most amazing line of pigeons. I stood and watched for around half an hour. Must have had 3-400 birds over me, all within shootable range. Of course I had left the gun at home. I left them to it and will return another day when I get time.