Do you fancy a classic Range Rover?

harrycatcat1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned three.  One back in the 80s, then another with a 3.5 Nissan diesel in it and finally a CSK which I stupidly sold for more than I bought it for but in tip top trim today would be worth six figures.  Beautiful motors  .   I drove 166H a factory developement vehicle in the International Police Rally in Belgium back in 1972. The same Range Rover which won the first Hill Rally run that same year in Wales by Roger Craythorne and that was on the Sunday prior to our taking it out to Belgium on the Friday following.  The factory totally rebuilt it for us in that week !!!!  If I had the readies, one would be the first Classic I would purchase.

I believe the 2 door versions are very rare. A mate had one a few years back he planned to restore, with the help of a few mates, but he couldn’t afford to keep up the costs of the restoration and his mates grew tired of funding the project, so it just languished in his parents back yard for a few years until they got sick of the sight of it, and then it was sold for breaking. Great shame. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I believe the 2 door versions are very rare. A mate had one a few years back he planned to restore, with the help of a few mates, but he couldn’t afford to keep up the costs of the restoration and his mates grew tired of funding the project, so it just languished in his parents back yard for a few years until they got sick of the sight of it, and then it was sold for breaking. Great shame. 

Hardly anybody bought a 2 door once the factory 4 door version came out. I think that was in 1978/9. Or it might have been 1981? To be honest I can’t remember without researching it.

had a "L" reg one in white............loved it........that was when fuel was a good price and i could fill up for £20 quid

it had a superb heater and if you put your coffee on the vent near the windscreen it would keep it hot..:good:

Edited by ditchman

I was lucky, mine was a very early one on a J reg and in the early days they had no emission control carp fitted. Mine would do 20 mpg mostly with circa 21 on a steady run. They fitted the strangulation kits from L reg if I remember correctly. My next V8 was in a 110 Station Wagon strangled to death with factory fitted emission control and that did 11 mpg mostly, best ever was 12.2 with down to 9 on a bad day in winter.

The first RR I had was a standard 3.5 on Strombergs and if I was a good boy and kept my foot off the loud pedal I could get 20mpg. A long overnight run up to north Scotland I did a little bit better.  In 1984  Land Rover kindly arranged for me to have one of the two Rangies in the USA at the time and I was to drive it from Wyoming right down the Houston , obviously showing it off as best I could.  I was sorely disappointed with the performance with all the emision controls.  My present Landy has a 3.9 V8 fitted, standard Strombergs and IF I drove it sensibly I believe I could get  18 -19mpg on petrol but I run it on LPG at 75p a litre and I love the sound of those two Cherry Bombs:yahoo:

You only live once.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 18:31, jd2130 said:

Currently restoring a 1 owner with 27000 miles 1988 3.5 efi model and loving it

Its a slow process had it for 12 years but other projects get in the way

Should be ready for MOT next week 

It’s it the opus dizi version with the flap air flow ? Spent some time fiddling and fault finding with them ?

Agriv8 <~ yep that’s where the username comes from !

• 2 weeks later...

all of you that remember early Range Rovers were the lucky ones, Gramps bought an XJ6 or 12 (cannot remember) Jag in the 70's just because he always wanted one, the number stood stood for the number of months spent back at the dealers trying to get it to run. It had 2 fuel tanks, one for getting to the end of the road and one for getting home.