Brexit with eyes held wide open?

bavarianbrit

I went back to Germany through Dover Eastern docks yesterday on the 4am ferry and there is a huge TV screen located in the parking area doing advertising for P&O & DFDS plus the ports info (the port info stated that on Thursday 19th Nov they trafficked 4499 trucks, 114 cars and 8 buses through the port). I just thought it would bring some reality to what we actually import to support our needs, it did not break down as to if the trucks that had left were full of exports or empty. Of course the lockdown was the cause of the few cars shown. I wanted to see the number of dinghies they landed but that was missing.

Hi M, those figures obviously highlight the necessity for continued movement of products and produce. Are those numbers for just that day or a timescale leading up to that day ? And,,,, is that for incoming, outgoing or both ?

And do I detect some cynicism at the end of your post ? 🤔🤭

Also, on a personal note, hope that the reason for your trip is successful and without issues 😉👍

C

55 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

I went back to Germany through Dover Eastern docks yesterday on the 4am ferry and there is a huge TV screen located in the parking area doing advertising for P&O & DFDS plus the ports info (the port info stated that on Thursday 19th Nov they trafficked 4499 trucks, 114 cars and 8 buses through the port). I just thought it would bring some reality to what we actually import to support our needs, it did not break down as to if the trucks that had left were full of exports or empty. Of course the lockdown was the cause of the few cars shown. I wanted to see the number of dinghies they landed but that was missing.

There is a trade deficit in the EUs favour of something like 100 billon plus we pay something in the region of 34 billion for the privilege. We're like a giant customer, but we can shop elsewhere. You don't see tesco charging an entry fee, if they did, we'd shop elsewhere! 

I am well over Brexit twit. This was an informative heads up for the great unwashed on here about what is happening outside of the bbc"s persistent covid reporting to the exclusion of most other news.

I have lived in Germany now fulltime since 2002 and on and off have worked over there the same as many UK brickies did since 1973, I was working in a different trade though. My main home will never be the UK again and you can blame my Irish grandmother and Canadian father for blocking in me a blind patriotism for England. I try to see a bigger picture of the world without allowing petty nationalism to fog it up.

Amazing how some readers read something into a post that is not intended. I just thought folks on PW would like to know how lockdown is affecting travel for one and two the amazing number of trucks needed to keep UK fed/clothed and supplied with electronics from wherever. My UK residence is in Dover so the impact is starting to become apparent down there with the massive truck jams expected in 2021 Dover BTW voted leave.

53 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

I am well over Brexit twit. This was an informative heads up for the great unwashed on here about what is happening outside of the bbc"s persistent covid reporting to the exclusion of most other news.

I have lived in Germany now fulltime since 2002 and on and off have worked over there the same as many UK brickies did since 1973, I was working in a different trade though. My main home will never be the UK again and you can blame my Irish grandmother and Canadian father for blocking in me a blind patriotism for England. I try to see a bigger picture of the world without allowing petty nationalism to fog it up.

Amazing how some readers read something into a post that is not intended. I just thought folks on PW would like to know how lockdown is affecting travel for one and two the amazing number of trucks needed to keep UK fed/clothed and supplied with electronics from wherever. My UK residence is in Dover so the impact is starting to become apparent down there with the massive truck jams expected in 2021 Dover BTW voted leave.

Your clearly not over brexit as you've posted about it several times, as your worried the british gravy train is about to dry up, enjoy Germany and don't expect the British to fund you and the rest of Europe. 

14 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Your clearly not over brexit as you've posted about it several times, as your worried the british gravy train is about to dry up, enjoy Germany and don't expect the British to fund you and the rest of Europe. 

I worked my *** off for nigh on 50 years and now own 9 houses so what gravy train are you meaning?

Let’s keep it civil 👍

BREXIT is a done deal so let us not allow it to continue to divide us and shape the way we relate to each other. 

Anyone who continues to see people as a “remainer” or “leaver” is blinkered to the wider issues in society and the common purposes that unite all us British. 

33 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Let’s keep it civil 👍

BREXIT is a done deal so let us not allow it to continue to divide us and shape the way we relate to each other. 

Anyone who continues to see people as a “remainer” or “leaver” is blinkered to the wider issues in society and the common purposes that unite all us British. 

Here, here.

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Let’s keep it civil 👍

I feel exactly the same and that was part of the very point I was making, I'm sure those that voted leave would love to do just that, get on with it, leave the EU and forget all about it, the problem is, many (obviously not all) who voted remain simply will not leave it go and those in power will simply not concede, as it appears president trump could be doing (if what he's claiming is proved false of course) 

7 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I feel exactly the same and that was part of the very point I was making, I'm sure those that voted leave would love to do just that, get on with it, leave the EU and forget all about it, the problem is, many (obviously not all) who voted remain simply will not leave it go and those in power will simply not concede, as it appears president trump could be doing (if what he's claiming is proved false of course) 

👍