Children and guns

Teilky

Hi I like to think I know most things about shooting and certs ect , but I anit really got a clue on this . I think I know but not for definite,  so could yous guys keep me right.

my son want to apply for his own cert, he's 15. 

1 I work away sometimes and won't be there , so can his mother take him up to the farm and shoot she not got a licence to supervise him?

2 gifting guns and cartridges.  Can I pay the shop and they can gift a gun and carts to him or do I need to buy one on my cert and gift it to him?

3 who can be his referee?

Anything I not thought off as well please. I would have asked my local shop but its shut covid thing

Thanks in advance

Also, the legal answer and responsible actions may not be the same. I shoot with a friend’s 16 year old and have done for the last 3/4 years. Is he a good shot? Yes? Does he understand gun handling, safety and target identification? Yes. Would I want him wandering around our permission outside of the direct supervision of a responsible, adult SGC/FAC holder. No. 

By all means get him a SGC, but I would keep the keys to the safe to myself and let him take an air rifle to the farm if he wants to get out whilst you are away. 

Just my opinion, not fact and you know your son best. 

I am just wondering about the law is there any point of him getting a cert. He not interested in airguns , he's been shooting shotguns for about 2 years. I though I would just ask here firearms licencing not open at the weekend. He asked me this morning , he would not be going hunting himself his mother and him would just be shooting clays, the wife on the trap lol , but if he needs a cert holder ie me  there , then its just a waste of money. Thats why I asked. I don't even kown if licencing is open with this covid thing

There is no minimum age for holding a shotgun certificate. 
Must be over eighteen to purchase gun and ammunition themselves.
Over fifteen years old can have their own shotgun and use it unsupervised. 
Under fifteen can have own certificate but must be supervised by someone over twenty one who does not need a certificate but obviously preferable.

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Under fifteen can have own certificate but must be supervised by someone over twenty one who does not need a certificate but obviously preferable.

This. I was going to comment earlier but it’s been a while since my nephew was in this age range and couldn’t recall the specifics. 
If I recall he can’t buy cartridges under 17 but can have them gifted to him, there again I could be talking out my bum. 🙂

Just now, Scully said:

This. I was going to comment earlier but it’s been a while since my nephew was in this age range and couldn’t recall the specifics. 
If I recall he can’t buy cartridges under 17 but can have them gifted to him, there again I could be talking out my bum. 🙂

I have a feeling the 17 has been raised to 18? Blame the EU!

Just now, London Best said:

I have a feeling the 17 has been raised to 18? Blame the EU!

You’re more than probably right, sorry; I obviously didn’t take in that part of your post. 
I recall my nephew cycling to work at the farm after school, with his slipped gun over his shoulder......with Beretta emblazoned on it in big bright colours! 🙂

Just now, Scully said:

You’re more than probably right, sorry; I obviously didn’t take in that part of your post. 
I recall my nephew cycling to work at the farm after school, with his slipped gun over his shoulder......with Beretta emblazoned on it in big bright colours! 🙂

Just as we did in the sixties.

I dont think it's a waste of money, if nothing else it will teach him responsibility and once granted keep him on the straight and narrow. As a teenager with a SGC I was very aware of not doing stupid teenager things that would risk losing it, so stuck to cheap lager on the park and girls 👌

On 21/11/2020 at 21:42, London Best said:

A guy brought this argument up in a pub and won his bet as he said the referee must know the person applying for certificate more than two years so  a young child under two cant apply for a certificate only what he said 

Edited by Rim Fire

1. get him to apply for his liecence
  2. choose the gun and buy it with him
  3. enter the gun onto your liecence
  4. store it in your cabinate
  5. only let him use it under your supervision...until he is old enough to have his own cabinate and keys....you are happy with his safety and handling and have the gun transferred to his certificate

end of

this is something between you and him........just think if there was some sort of accident whilst you were away and he was with someone else

3 hours ago, ditchman said:
  1. get him to apply for his liecence
  2. choose the gun and buy it with him
  3. enter the gun onto your liecence
  4. store it in your cabinate
  5. only let him use it under your supervision...until he is old enough to have his own cabinate and keys....you are happy with his safety and handling and have the gun transferred to his certificate

end of

this is something between you and him........just think if there was some sort of accident whilst you were away and he was with someone else

THIS!

On 27/11/2020 at 12:09, kennett said:

I dont think it's a waste of money, if nothing else it will teach him responsibility and once granted keep him on the straight and narrow. As a teenager with a SGC I was very aware of not doing stupid teenager things that would risk losing it, so stuck to cheap lager on the park and girls 👌

Agreed, use it as a way to teach real responsibilities. Not saying you haven’t already but at that age chances are he probably doesn’t have many. 

Make him fully aware of the consequences of wrong doing when owning a SGC.   

Once people get into shooting I don’t doubt avoid other situations just to keep themselves on the right side of the FEO. 

It worked a treat for me and my brother.