Reloading kit

james1955

11 minutes ago, james1955 said:

Full reloading kit for .223 wanted.

I've just sold a load of stuff but if you need a basic trimmer I have the Lee Precision Large Case Trimmer Cutter & Lock Stud for .223 for £7 posted (top one in photo)

IMG_0515.gif

Edited by Deker

13 hours ago, james1955 said:

Thanks for the offer.

As im new to reloading im not to sure what  I need.  I was hoping to buy a complete kit with everything I need to get started, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

So what do you need I have a box full of bits and pieces! Pm if you prefer.

13 hours ago, james1955 said:

Thanks for the offer.

As im new to reloading im not to sure what  I need.  I was hoping to buy a complete kit with everything I need to get started, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

So what do you need I have a box full of bits and pieces! Pm if you prefer. Where are you in the country?

14 hours ago, james1955 said:

Thanks for the offer.

OK, you'll need the following (off the top of my head):

Press

Dies - both resizing and bullet seating

Something to dispense the powder (such as dropper and trickler)

Scales

Brass prep - trimmer and chamfer

Powder funnel

reloading tray (to hold brass while you make them)

something to clean the brass after use (tumbler, ultrasonic, etc).

It's a hobby that can get expensive so finding someone who is selling up is a good choice, also looking back at the kit I have (I load for several rifles) if I only had one calibre such as my .223 I'd test some of the cheaper ammo first as when I was given some GGG 69gr match ammo to test it was almost as good as homeloads for my rifle and at under £1/round it wouldn't have been worth reloading. You really need to think how many calibres you'll eventually reload for, how many rounds per year (or per shoot as if you need 200 for a competition each month then the manual powder dispensers aren't quick enough) and what kind of accuracy you expect.

If you do go ahead with reloading it's one of those areas where "buy once, cry once" comes in, I've got some pretty good kit now but I must have wasted over £100 buying things to "make do" and then having t replace them

Thanks for your input.  I have no intention of taking up target shooting, my aim is to experiment with heavier bullets than the ones currently available to me from local dealers.  At present I am restricted to 55 gr maximum weight bullets.  I realise I have a long way to go, but I have to start somewhere.  Thanks again for your help.

What twist rate is your barrel? 

1-12 may struggle to stabilise anything much heavier than 55gr

1-8" for up to 80, GGG 69gr are sweet in my Tikka but have yet to try the 77s

1-7" for 90gr 

The above gleaned from people far more knowledgeable than myself. 

If you're just starting out loading your own I would seriously try and find a mentor. There's nothing like experience. 

Edited by Mr.C
More thought

6 hours ago, Mr.C said:

What twist rate is your barrel? 

1-12 may struggle to stabilise anything much heavier than 55gr

1-8" for up to 80, GGG 69gr are sweet in my Tikka but have yet to try the 77s

1-7" for 90gr 

The above gleaned from people far more knowledgeable than myself. 

If you're just starting out loading your own I would seriously try and find a mentor. There's nothing like experience. 

Same, I have the 1-8" and use 77gr SMKs but was handed a box of GGG 69gr match last shoot and if I'd have tried them before I did my load development I wouldn't have bothered, they group so well, I was shooting at 600y and the group was sub moa

Edited by Deker