Sunday shooting

captainhastings

Just curious has any organisation tried to over turn these Sunday shooting laws in certain counties ? If not why not lol. It is a pretty pointless and outdated and as some one who lives in such  a county a real pain the the neck. I have a limited permissions and weather dependent so the chances of it all coming together on a Saturday are a bit rare and working all week it cuts right down on chances to go.

I agree with you about the rules being very outdated , we in Norfolk cannot shoot fowl on a Sunday where our next door neighbours in Suffolk can , I am not to bothered now at my age going on a Sunday as I now have the other six days to go if I want to , but people like yourself who work all the week would find an extra day handy , trouble is , if they ever closed Sunday shooting for everyone, then I very much doubt they would ever bring it back into play , so if those who can't go on a Sunday will have to travel to a county that can , mind you at the moment I don't think you would be allowed to travel over a certain distance , certainly strange times .

Historically, bird protection orders were issued by counties. When national legislation was framed, (1954 act etc.) these orders were included. Back in the day, Sunday was the only day off for many. Folk would (for instance) embark on steamer trips and take their guns to shoot at passing seabirds. It was a crude solution to Victorian/Edwardian problem.

I think it would need a change in primary legislation to remove these differences, so when the next Wildlife and Countryside Act comes along........

There could be a lot of bad news in that though.

CH, see my previous post.

I can assure you that clubs in affected counties as well as BASC (and WAGBI before that) have "looked into" this matter and as described there is not a simple solution.

Canada Geese were placed on the quarry list immediately after Brent were protected during the passage of the 1954 act - that's the best I can suggest without a bit more thought.

Our club ground is divided by the county boundary,half the marsh can be shot one Sunday and the other half not.

You could shoot a duck on one side of the boundary and it could fall into an area that does not allow shooting on a Sunday.Don't know how you would stand retrieving the the said duck or goose.

12 hours ago, captainhastings said:

The laws for the hunting man just keep getting tighter and tighter for all aspects. Does any one actual know of a rule that was lifted or relaxed espeacially in the last few years. 

But yes it would be nice for basc to look into Sunday shooting for wildfowlers 

The shooting of badgers maybe...

I believe it may be changed by the councils themselves.  When I was living hoop north and first shooting up there i was told that the local welsh county had amalgamated with its neighbouring county to form what is now Flintshire.... one county allowed shooting and one did not.... the new one then allowed it on all of its area.

The issue is that antis are far better than shooters at shouting loudly at local councils and then you have the danger of all areas losing sunday shooting

Not sure that this is within the remit of local authorities. There is provision in the WCA for the establishment of new county orders although this has not happened.

Where counties have been amalgamated in England, the old orders remain. e.g. Cambridgeshire took over the Isle of Ely (after some 700 years) but the restriction on Sunday shooting of wildfowl stands.