out with pup

babs2020

hi out with pup today came across 3 partridge in some sugar beat   and she was gone  she  came back to the whistle but not till she had chase them half across the next field    what my next step  she's 7 months old  i don't  come across a lot of game  this my 1st pup gun dog    

Are you following any sort of training programme, dvd or book? 

The pup is at the age is should just be starting the most basic stuff. 

Is there a reason you took it out somewhere where it encouraged game? Intentional or not? 

Your next steps is train the basics (thoroughly) and I wouldn’t take the dog anywhere it could flush and chase game until the basics are thoroughly established. 

There does come a day when you hope all the work done in the confines of your garden will work and you need to take the dog out in the real world.  I have not owned a 'pocket rocket' but have friends who do and they are strong willed and #######y quick off the start line, so i would go back to the basic training in your garden but after a week or so buy yourself a plastic clothes line and attch this to the dogs colar and venture out where temptation exists.... you have to do it eventually and believ me it ain't easy. BUT the long full length clothes line will slide through the undergrowth and also act as a long lead initially so the dog knows it is there.  I have seen this system used on English pointers out on the moor where a dog will range at speed trailing the line but on coming on point the handler can nip up and get hold of the line without approaching close to the dog and then gently retrieve the line until the flush and use it to stop the dog running in if necessary.    I have never seen the idea used on spaniels but cannot see how it would not work as the slight tension of the line will be there initially which hopefully will remind the dog it should listent ot your commands.

Clothes lines cheap as chips,  more so that the tracking leads advertised.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

She’s to young yet wait till about 18 months you have plenty of time 

Have to disagree  somewhat. The time to start training your dog is the moment it walks through the door.    Behaviour can be taught from that point on and here you are talking behaviour. The dog is ignoring you. If that had been sorted the day the dog came through the door you would not have a problem.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I was on about serious gun dog training

I have owned, trained and run 14 SERIOUS gun dogs in my life. They got invites before I did and they all learned their manners as soon as they entered our home.

I have had some so called serious gun dog trainers on my shoot and they didn't get a second invite.

The problem with a long line on a spaniel that runs off is that it can run off, get caught up and hung and you'll never see your dog again.

Considering the PUPPY is at the age that is should just about be starting proper gundog training, I would spend the next 12 months training the dog in areas where its not going to encounter and chase any game myself.

Punishing a young puppy for doing something that is very natural to it (finding and chasing game) runs the risk of putting it off hunting. I know MANY cockers who have been told off when young for not listening who now won't hunt or leave the owners side, or will hunt close but refuse to pick game. They can be very sensitive dogs. Your sprocker might have those characteristics or it might not.

My next steps would be to get a Joe Irving book (training spaniels, or Their Learning Chain), or the Dave Lissett springer DVD's, I would follow the learning chain in a process, building up temptation and control under more and more conditions, and then when the dog is old enough and mature enough to know EXACTLY what the command mean, would I take it out on game, and if it didn't listen I would have no issues with telling it off sternly, because the dog should know better what is expected of it. 

What exactly were the circumstances leading up to the flush and chase Babs? Was the dog training or were you letting it free run and out "on a walk"? 

I’ll say what I always say.

Find yourself a good Gundog trainer and have some one to one lessons. My pups have nothing done with them bar recall, sit and maybe an odd retrieve and getting out and about to see the world.

I only started ‘training’ my 9 month old springer bitch pup today, for example.

Oh! What area are you in as between us I’m sure we can help recommend someone in your area.

Photo taken today because well, why not and I adore her!

Edited to add I do apologise I read it as you had been on a shoot day. However still get yourself some help 😊

268C4D43-4972-4BF4-A045-37A07998C048.jpeg

Edited by bigbird

Cracking little dog that and you basically support my view...you start by teaching them the very basics that all gun dogs...well ALL dogs should be taught from word go.

With regard to the long lead, then you do not let go of that until you are satisfied the dog knows it's manners.  I have used long tracking leads for deer tracking dogs many many times and there are occasions when you have to let go and go around the obstacle, these where tape leads and I never had one snag up.  Ask the pointer handlers, that is why they use the cheap thin plastic clothes lines, they slide through the heather.  For a spaniel you could actually set up birds under a cage and release when the dog finds it and then ensure the dog sits to command.  This use would be in extreme cases because if the basic work has been done the dog should not need such.

I had to kick a smart alec off my shoot because he was doing what a professonal trainer advised by picking his spaniel up by the ears and vigorously shaking it.  This was infront of the owner of our shooting area and his two very young chilcdren.  "Why is that man hurting that dog daddy?" was the question the child asked. we almost lost our shooting rights as a result  He then proceeded to quote me paragraphs from a book written by a so called pro trainer.

Edited by Walker570

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I had to kick a smart a;lec off my shoot because he was doing what a professonal trainer advised by picking his spaniel up by the ears and vigorously shaking it.  This was infront of the owner of our shooting area and his two very young chilcdren.  "Why is that man hurting that dog daddy?" was the question the child asked. we almost lost our shooting rights as a result  He then proceeded to quote me paragraphs from a book written by a so called pro trainer.

Yup. Seen a lot of ‘pro trainers’ do that but thankfully more recently I’ve seen a lot that don’t do that too, I think things are changing - I could go on but won’t get started. Certainly I can hand on heart say that anybody on here who has ever been to me or sent their dog to me for training has never seen me do anything like that!

46 minutes ago, B725 said:

Cracking looking pup you have there BB.

😘 thank you!

Yesterday that wee Pup was hoolying around the field when they were all taken for a run as a break from the yard and their kennels and would recall etc but today on our first session my only goal was to make myself the centre of her universe as the basis of our further training. Now I can’t stop her eyeballing me and I’m tripping over her 😂

Edited by bigbird

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I’ll say what I always say.

Find yourself a good Gundog trainer and have some one to one lessons. My pups have nothing done with them bar recall, sit and maybe an odd retrieve and getting out and about to see the world.

I only started ‘training’ my 9 month old springer bitch pup today, for example.

Oh! What area are you in as between us I’m sure we can help recommend someone in your area.

Photo taken today because well, why not and I adore her!

Edited to add I do apologise I read it as you had been on a shoot day. However still get yourself some help 😊

268C4D43-4972-4BF4-A045-37A07998C048.jpeg

She's beautigul BB :)