In the white guns

keeper96

Evening all, 

I’ve noticed a few guns for sale in auctions in the white recently and was wandering how these come about as being offered? 

are they factory rejects or similar? 

obviously not something I would even consider as the knowledge and skill needed to complete one is way above my level! 

thanks 

The ones I have seen have just been uncompleted guns that have been sitting in workshops, now closed. Once saw a tolley 8 bore action and barrels on a stall at an arms fair and still wish I had bought it although no idea how I would ever have got it completed.

I am sure our gun trade colleagues will give a more satisfactory answer.

This will all depend on where the action in question came from , how old it is and how complete .They can be unfinished works from now closed  gun shops/makers , guns that were never completed because of problems , fire damage etc. I have also seen  guns in the white imported for the continent of varying quality that were never finished .

My best advice is buyer be VERY aware and no matter what you think it will cost a lot more to complete and you really need some advice and guidance by some one who knows what they are talking about and can ask the right questions .

In my time I have finished a number of guns bought in the white , hammer guns , boxlocks and side locks , all have caused problems , taken longer and cost more .

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

This will all depend on where the action in question came from , how old it is and how complete .They can be unfinished works from now closed  gun shops/makers , guns that were never completed because of problems , fire damage etc. I have also seen  guns in the white imported for the continent of varying quality that were never finished .

My best advice is buyer be VERY aware and no matter what you think it will cost a lot more to complete and you really need some advice and guidance by some one who knows what they are talking about and can ask the right questions .

In my time I have finished a number of guns bought in the white , hammer guns , boxlocks and side locks , all have caused problems , taken longer and cost more .

As much as I love the idea I have no intention as I simply don’t have the ability or knowledge. 

it’s a pair of aya box lock ejectors in the Southams sale if anyone is interested

In the white generally refers to a gun which has been built , stocked and forended but not always made of[ thats finished size], smoothed but not polished ,ready to be engraved , hardened and finished . In the past many provincial gun shops would order such from one of the Birmingham makers and later from Italy or Spain , which they would then finish or have finished and sold as by them .Lager shops with their own work shops would order barrelled actions and stock them to customer requirements .Some of these imported actions I have seen bearing  some well known names passed off as guns made by them and to be honest not of a quality you would expect.

In normal the gun in the white , should present no great problems in completing . That said if buying in auction , you have to ask why was the gun never completed ? It could be that the barrels are a problem , struck off so they are thin walled or have had some damage . That internal parts are missing . If it was imported from say Spain or Italy has it been chambered and proofed ? 

Buying  such from an auction is a risk and could well mean the gun has been offered around the trade and rejected .So buyer be very aware .