Hearing protector advise

AWest84

Hi there, I've been looking at ear defenders / hearing protection for clay shooting. I would like some advise from people on what works good.

I've been thinking about ear plugs, rather than ear muff, but I would like some advise. As I'm not sure what the decibel reduction needs to be.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Over ear muffs are the best sound reduction, and those with microphones and electronics work well, enabling you to hear the trap release easily etc.  However some people (me included) find they are great when standing with others, but don't work to actually shoot because they hit the gun's stock.  If I mount my gun with no muffs, my ear lobe virtually touches the stock.

I have not found basic simple one size fits all 'in ear' plugs either comfortable or very good.  They can be cheap and convenient, and sensible to keep a packet or two for 'emergency' use!

Custom moulded in ear are great.  The ideal solution for me.  I use EMT Noisebreaker passives and they work very well, are very comfortable and I can still hear well enough.  Protection will be a little less than over ear muffs because the bone around the ear lets some noise through.  I have not tried moulded actives (such as CENS) which are more than I would pay.

So for me - custom moulded passives when shooting - and electronic over ear muffs when standing with others.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

+1 for the above. I have a set of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs, which are excellent, but now showing signs of wear and tear. I bought a set of the above and they are brilliant. I have also had a set of moulded 'in ear' ones made, which too, are excellent. These will mainly be used for range use.

I have a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs and as John above says, they can interfere with the gun mount. Also, as I wear glasses, I find that I get some noise ‘break in’ where there is a gap at the arms of the glasses. However, they are good when in company.

When shooting alone I use a pair of Napier Pro 9 which cut out the noise far better, but don’t allow any other noise i.e speech or bird song etc.

OB

I have both. When game shooting or picking up near guns I pop in emtec individually moulded plugs. You can hear conversation but generally that’s not necessary. I don’t fire a lot of shots so fine. Loaders/keepers on the estate I work on use them to as ell as muffs.For clays I use Peltor electronic muffs and set the left slightly higher so it does not catch the stock.

Remember it is not just damage to the ear drum etc it is also about protecting the cochlea at the back of the ear. If that is damaged it is irreparable. Ear muffs protect both, plugs do not.

I double up and use in ear plugs and Howard Leight over ear muffs. I already have mild tinnitus and would not want it worse. I can still hear what's going on through both. 

As for clonking the comb I do have to make sure that side is pushed up (there is always some movement) plus I have a rubber adjustable comb which has been sanded to stop stiction which helps too. 

Thanks for the advise and suggestions everyone. Those Awesafe ear muffs look good especially for the price . I didn't even think the muff would knock against the comb of the stock, lIttle shame to hear. But as many of you have said I could just raise the muff a bit. The Napier Pro 9 those didn't even pop up when I was searching.

5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Remember it is not just damage to the ear drum etc it is also about protecting the cochlea at the back of the ear. If that is damaged it is irreparable. Ear muffs protect both, plugs do not.

I was wandering if the ear plugs didn't protect as much as the muffs do.

Thanks again for the advise and suggestions.

8 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I have a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs and as John above says, they can interfere with the gun mount. Also, as I wear glasses, I find that I get some noise ‘break in’ where there is a gap at the arms of the glasses. However, they are good when in company.

When shooting alone I use a pair of Napier Pro 9 which cut out the noise far better, but don’t allow any other noise i.e speech or bird song etc.

OB

Napier 9's are pretty good, I've got a set 'somewhere', and also the Napier 10's which are designed for rifle shooting.

11 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have a set of these and they are great. Haven't gone wrong and do the job as well as any over ear protector I have ever had. Bonus being I can chat away happily between shots. At least as good a friends 200 pound pair and he agrees. 

I have had expensive ones and the Awesafe are not as good. However my gun room has an entire rack of electronic earmuffs that have been killed by submersion in water (ok 3 sets) and an equal number have been lost on shoot days. At £200 a pair it used to ruin my day, at £25 a pair it’s annoying but not the end of the world.

Well having checked again for those Awesafe ear muffs they became available on amazon, so got some on the way :D

23 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have had expensive ones and the Awesafe are not as good. However my gun room has an entire rack of electronic earmuffs that have been killed by submersion in water (ok 3 sets) and an equal number have been lost on shoot days. At £200 a pair it used to ruin my day, at £25 a pair it’s annoying but not the end of the world.

Oooo you raise a good point, is there anyway of water proofing them. Maybe wiping some wax on the seems or something, thanks

4 minutes ago, AWest84 said:

Well having checked again for those Awesafe ear muffs they became available on amazon, so got some on the way

Oooo you raise a good point, is there anyway of water proofing them. Maybe wiping some wax on the seems or something, thanks

Don’t even think about wearing electronic muffs in the rain.

My Peltors made all sorts of crackling noises during a severe downpour before packing up completely until they had dried out naturally.

edit: that was fifteen years ago, not worn them in the rain since. I was loading that day but I use mostly Emtec passives when shooting.

Edited by London Best

On 23/11/2020 at 19:42, London Best said:

My Peltors made all sorts of crackling noises during a severe downpour before packing up completely until they had dried out naturally.

edit: that was fifteen years ago, not worn them in the rain since. I was loading that day but I use mostly Emtec passives when shooting.

Must be something wrong with them wore them for 5 years 5-6 days a week coaching in all weathers never had an issue with any sets of peltors