Jump to content

Planning question - building gazebo near shared boundary


Recommended Posts

Morning, I’m looking at building a brick chimnea and an oak gazebo next to my boundary fence with next door. Just wondered whether there would be any planning restrictions for it?

A search online hasn’t revealed anything. Our council falls under kings lynn and west Norfolk. Thinking something along the lines of the photo

Any help greatly appreciated

84023DB8-9B6D-41C6-A46A-BC3015BB22C2.jpeg

544F9264-7F52-40DA-B403-B0B688DC3BE5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you keep it more than a meter from your boundary and under 3 metres in height ( if I recall ) you don’t need planning. I built a studio/shed in my back garden within these guidelines and it was fine. This was Cumbria. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scully said:

If you keep it more than a meter from your boundary and under 3 metres in height ( if I recall ) you don’t need planning. I built a studio/shed in my back garden within these guidelines and it was fine. This was Cumbria. 

We built a huge workshop to these rules except only 8feet high at eves near boundary. Notts area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, djrwood said:

Thanks for the advice guys!

My advice would be to contact your local council first because if it all goes pear shaped it would be them that would come chasing you. If they say it's ok then crack on 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, **** said:

You might not need planning permission but you might need building regs. I should check.

We got caught out with building regs. Neighbour complained and council guy came round. Complaint was not valid but council guy insisted we comply with building regs and clad the workshop with fireproof plasterboard.  Best to ask first!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nice.  I would certainly have words with neighbours first if you are on good relations. A report to council from them at a later stage can involve  untold problems with planning officers. If they agree not such a problem but I would make enquiries anyway.  Shame to have to tear it down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AVB said:

This is one I put together over lockdown. 

7BB9AFDD-2EB8-47AB-BB8C-EB0B8B686908.jpeg

Blimey, you lot must be very poor down there in Essex?

We have our bath indoors and some are lucky enough to have indoor toilets too!

Still, at least u have a roof over it 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Blimey, you lot must be very poor down there in Essex?

We have our bath indoors and some are lucky enough to have indoor toilets too!

Still, at least u have a roof over it 🙂

Yes we just throw the kids and dogs in it once a week with a squeeze of washing up liquid. Works a treat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, djrwood said:

Morning, I’m looking at building a brick chimnea and an oak gazebo next to my boundary fence with next door. Just wondered whether there would be any planning restrictions for it?

A search online hasn’t revealed anything. Our council falls under kings lynn and west Norfolk. Thinking something along the lines of the photo

Any help greatly appreciated

84023DB8-9B6D-41C6-A46A-BC3015BB22C2.jpeg

544F9264-7F52-40DA-B403-B0B688DC3BE5.jpeg

That would probably need checking with the planning dept round here but it wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem getting it OK

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Permitted Development is national policy, it doesn’t vary within England except upon scheduled land.

It is national policy but it's regularly changing and it's open to interpretation. 

Check with the local planning office to be on the safe side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Permitted Development is national policy, it doesn’t vary within England except upon scheduled land.

If thats more than 12m of paved area and you are covering grassed area you need permission from Thames Water (bizzarely) in this area and they charged us £500 to come and issue approval when we built a patio area.on one of our properties a few years back.The inspector was there about a minute.

If the uprights are more than 6ft high they will likely write to the neighbours and invite comments. 

Its always bests to go to them before they come to you about a complaint. They are box tickers 

Edited by Vince Green
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AVB said:

Yes we just throw the kids and dogs in it once a week with a squeeze of washing up liquid. Works a treat. 

Once a week? Ok, so not so poor as isn’t it usual for only once a month around that area!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, **** said:

You might not need planning permission but you might need building regs. I should check.

Over 30m2 it will. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Permitted Development is national policy, it doesn’t vary within England except upon scheduled land.

Depends where you live. If it's a conservation area or aonb you may find PD has been removed. It has here 😞 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...