Planning question - building gazebo near shared boundary

djrwood

Morning, I’m looking at building a brick chimnea and an oak gazebo next to my boundary fence with next door. Just wondered whether there would be any planning restrictions for it?

A search online hasn’t revealed anything. Our council falls under kings lynn and west Norfolk. Thinking something along the lines of the photo

Any help greatly appreciated

84023DB8-9B6D-41C6-A46A-BC3015BB22C2.jpeg

544F9264-7F52-40DA-B403-B0B688DC3BE5.jpeg

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/830643/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf

Just refer to the rules above. Very simple and definitive. You can alternatively apply for planning permission if you cannot adhere to the rules for Permitted Development. Are you on scheduled land? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

If you keep it more than a meter from your boundary and under 3 metres in height ( if I recall ) you don’t need planning. I built a studio/shed in my back garden within these guidelines and it was fine. This was Cumbria. 

We built a huge workshop to these rules except only 8feet high at eves near boundary. Notts area.

1 hour ago, **** said:

You might not need planning permission but you might need building regs. I should check.

We got caught out with building regs. Neighbour complained and council guy came round. Complaint was not valid but council guy insisted we comply with building regs and clad the workshop with fireproof plasterboard.  Best to ask first!

37 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Blimey, you lot must be very poor down there in Essex?

We have our bath indoors and some are lucky enough to have indoor toilets too!

Still, at least u have a roof over it 🙂

Yes we just throw the kids and dogs in it once a week with a squeeze of washing up liquid. Works a treat. 

9 hours ago, djrwood said:

Morning, I’m looking at building a brick chimnea and an oak gazebo next to my boundary fence with next door. Just wondered whether there would be any planning restrictions for it?

A search online hasn’t revealed anything. Our council falls under kings lynn and west Norfolk. Thinking something along the lines of the photo

Any help greatly appreciated

84023DB8-9B6D-41C6-A46A-BC3015BB22C2.jpeg

544F9264-7F52-40DA-B403-B0B688DC3BE5.jpeg

That would probably need checking with the planning dept round here but it wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem getting it OK

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Permitted Development is national policy, it doesn’t vary within England except upon scheduled land.

If thats more than 12m of paved area and you are covering grassed area you need permission from Thames Water (bizzarely) in this area and they charged us £500 to come and issue approval when we built a patio area.on one of our properties a few years back.The inspector was there about a minute.

If the uprights are more than 6ft high they will likely write to the neighbours and invite comments. 

Its always bests to go to them before they come to you about a complaint. They are box tickers 

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, **** said:

You might not need planning permission but you might need building regs. I should check.

Over 30m2 it will. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Permitted Development is national policy, it doesn’t vary within England except upon scheduled land.

Depends where you live. If it's a conservation area or aonb you may find PD has been removed. It has here 😞