A early spring?

Old farrier

25 minutes ago, figgy said:

Just an odd season.

Or a early variety of snowdrops 😊

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well lets face it OF you live next door to the Riviera down there, bound to be way ahead of the rest of us.  Amazing just how different the UK is from the I of W and the Scillies up to John o'Groats the weather pattern can be extreme.

Well it’s freezing down here if it’s going to stay this cold 12 degrees I shall need a vest 🤔👍

Just been out to lock up and perfect clear night and temp dropping. Looks like our first real frost tonight.  Was it 91-92 when the Satirday morning started with a very light flurry of snow and we drove down the M42 planning to go to Hereford shooting and having to turn aound just short of the M5,  ended up back here in Leicestershire at 12 midnight, managing to get back here having fought our way through and over snowdrifts. No electric for 7 days as all the main double power lines where down. Thanks to our new Clearview log stove we cooked all our meals on that.  The NEC opened it's doors to put people up stranded on the M42.   I put it down to climate change, seeing I remember it happening in 1947 as well as 1962.

About 1970 something my parents and older siblings moved to some god awful Welsh valley. Apparently it was early December, about 5.c and clear blue skies. Mum popped to the shop and the old lady told her it would snow later. Mum laughed it off and returned home to cook for the family plus her sister, brother in law and 2 of their kids. 

She said she was washing up when out of the clear blue sky fell a snow flake. This was followed by many others. The following morning there were feet of snow and somewhere in an old album is a picture of a rabbit running along the wire on the top of a telegraph pole. 

My aunt uncle and cousins stayed about 10 days before they could get back to Hampshire and the freezer was emptied. Odd things happen. 

35 minutes ago, yates said:

There’s a cherry tree in full blossom bloom in sunny downtown Rotherham today. Spring must be somewhat confused 

Many Prunus cultivars have been bred to flower at this time of the year. There is a beautiful one out on top of the Wolds at the moment.

47 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

About 1970 something my parents and older siblings moved to some god awful Welsh valley. Apparently it was early December, about 5.c and clear blue skies. Mum popped to the shop and the old lady told her it would snow later. Mum laughed it off and returned home to cook for the family plus her sister, brother in law and 2 of their kids. 

She said she was washing up when out of the clear blue sky fell a snow flake. This was followed by many others. The following morning there were feet of snow and somewhere in an old album is a picture of a rabbit running along the wire on the top of a telegraph pole. 

My aunt uncle and cousins stayed about 10 days before they could get back to Hampshire and the freezer was emptied. Odd things happen. 

1979 I think. We had gone down to our cottage near Glanusk, perfect weather. Got up next morning to the noise of a snow blower going by cutting a road through 5ft drifts filling the lane.  Had to shift a ton of snow from the front door to get out, it was up to the windows.   My little Renault 5 was frozen solid and I could just see the roof.  Dug it out but on trying to start it the fan belt broke as the water pump was frozen solid. My friend the Estate Keeper drove into Abergavenny and got me a replacement belt and we drove all the way back to Solihull wearing every coat we had with us. The engine survived for many more years.

I think it was 10yrs ago, 26th November 9am it started snowing. Not heavy but it had been crisp and dry for a week or so, fine powder fell relentlessly all day then in the evening sub zero temps hit. It snowed and froze from the 26th of November until the 26th of December. The river Severn froze all the way across.

23 minutes ago, JDog said:

Many Prunus cultivars have been bred to flower at this time of the year. There is a beautiful one out on top of the Wolds at the moment.

This might be a daft question JD,  but if a cherry Tree flowers at this time of year (by design) , would it still be able to fruit in the normal way ?.

I did what Monty Don said was a Lasagne  tub , where you layer bulbs the largest in the bottom a layer of compost a layer of bulbs till the tubs full  its crazy colourful in the spring , Then you put a layer of say winter flowering pansy's on the top so your not looking at a bare tub all winter 

The first lot of tubs the bulb shoots are now higher than the pansy's , So i did a second lot 6 weeks later the bulbs are shooting threw the soil just now  

On 22/11/2020 at 17:05, Walker570 said:

Just been out to lock up and perfect clear night and temp dropping. Looks like our first real frost tonight.  Was it 91-92 when the Satirday morning started with a very light flurry of snow and we drove down the M42 planning to go to Hereford shooting and having to turn aound just short of the M5,  ended up back here in Leicestershire at 12 midnight, managing to get back here having fought our way through and over snowdrifts. No electric for 7 days as all the main double power lines where down. Thanks to our new Clearview log stove we cooked all our meals on that.  The NEC opened it's doors to put people up stranded on the M42.   I put it down to climate change, seeing I remember it happening in 1947 as well as 1962.

Must have been around then, I was born in 86 and can remember that winter in North Notts we had no power for ages, no pumping station so no water. My dad had to hike to what is now Asda and they were giving it out in the car park. I think we only had gas? 

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Must have been around then, I was born in 86 and can remember that winter in North Notts we had no power for ages, no pumping station so no water. My dad had to hike to what is now Asda and they were giving it out in the car park. I think we only had gas? 

Yes, we had a team of electricians up from Cornwall putting the lines back up as well as the double poles right down the valley.  I think they got us back on in about 7 days.

It reminded me of 1947 when my grandfather and father had to dig 3ft deep trenches through the snow to the cowshed to get to the cows and milk and feed them. Bulldozers up the hill on the then B5000 cleared the snow but rippred out all of the cats eyes.  The milk stood for about seven days in deep snow before the milk lorry could get in and collect it.

7 hours ago, blackbird said:

Roll on spring I find the winter months really get to me i can now see why the older people shoot off to Spain, Tenerife etc over the winter months 🌞🌞🌞, apart from this year that is.

Don’t be silly! It’s the shooting season. Unless, of course, you are not a shooter?