Quiet day

Jacko3275

I went to  look at a couple of new fields of rape today on of which is quite close to a wood  as I drove down the track to the  birds where lifting from the hedge line and trees  and headed back towards the wood .. I  sat in the car with a cuppa and watch the pigeon fly about aimlessly in flocks of about 50  I thought as it’s a fiat trek to get here and the weather was nice I  might as well put an hide up and watch for lines and behaviour with a gun in my hand  I had about half dozen shots at some quite testing birds ( testing for me anyway) I managed one pigeon and a crow diced to pack up when some dark clouds approached with what look like heavy showers under them 

I learnt at a very early age that whatever species you are hunting or shooting you have to go to them as they wont come to you , so part of the package is to go out and find them , this alone involve a lot of running around the countryside searching out the different fields and crops where you expect to find pigeons feeding or being about in any numbers , having said that , going into the countryside looking for pigeons is not the only reason I go out , some people are interested in plant life , some like seeing the different animals while others like the birdlife , if a pigeon shooter find it a waste of time looing around empty fields then to be honest , I think they need to be looking at getting into another sport .

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

I learnt at a very early age that whatever species you are hunting or shooting you have to go to them as they wont come to you , so part of the package is to go out and find them , this alone involve a lot of running around the countryside searching out the different fields and crops where you expect to find pigeons feeding or being about in any numbers , having said that , going into the countryside looking for pigeons is not the only reason I go out , some people are interested in plant life , some like seeing the different animals while others like the birdlife , if a pigeon shooter find it a waste of time looing around empty fields then to be honest , I think they need to be looking at getting into another sport .

Very well said MM. Totally agree.

Having just returned from a little bit of a roost shoot where the total pigeons I shot was two, I also saw a small charm of goldfinches and the first flock of fieldfares this winter, plus of course the now common couple of buzzards, so all in all a lovely couple of hours out. It`s not always about the shooting.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Spot on MM! Good post! Very true! . . . . .Have you seen the latest RSPB/ DEFRA scheme to "help" Turtle Doves? They looking for 100+ farmers and land managers to take it up in two specific areas in Suffolk and Norfolk, some of there last strongholds. As i see it another money maker to try and make them look good. Still refusing to acknowledge targeted pest control works/is needed in helping them. Or a lot of successes are on shoots. Flawed Science! Actually using/naming areas where we are already having success to make them look good and get more funding. Win Win for them. Even created/employed new staff position to over see it. Even though half there existing staff are furloughed. Strange that! And they appear to have a new company/third party (Entrade?) running it. It will also be by bidding in "reverse auction"/sealed bids for part of £320k pot. Trying to do conservation on the cheap with the new ag schemes coming in.     NB