Anyone else prefer semi-autos above over and unders?

Shadowchaser

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply, Scully. 
I have no idea of your age (and don’t want to know) but I would bet that you did not learn to shoot a shotgun using a SxS with an auto-safe? 
The other point  which arouses my curiosity is the CF rifle. Am I right in thinking that you do not stalk deer in a woodland setting?

You’re welcome. I’m 61. 🙂

My first experience of shotguns  was an old Beretta, and it did indeed have an auto safety, much to my embarrassment. 
I no longer own a CF rifle, but when I did it was used for Roe and foxes. 
I no longer enjoy bumping around the Cumbrian Fells in a Landrover at silly o’clock, lamping foxes, and Roe aren’t really a challenge, so it’s gone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had loads of O/U's over the years and whilst I do like a nice O/U (or even SxS) I've always found semi autos to have more utility and have just always taken to them so much better.
My Browning Gold fits me like a glove and I shoot with it far better than any other non semi-auto gun I've used.
Dunno what it is about it but I've got a spare Browning Gold exactly the same just in case!

On 25/11/2020 at 21:36, London Best said:

I find the language barrier to be the biggest problem, especially with one friend near the border. He is Geordie cross Cumbrian cross Scots. Has to tell me everything three times.

Ha ha, I bet you can tell him anything but can't tell him a thing.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Ha ha, I bet you can tell him anything but can't tell him a thing.

It’s quite funny at times. Being broad Derbyshire my own accent is not quite the Queen’s English. Plus we are both very deaf. Put us in a diesel Land Rover and we may as well be speaking Mandarin!

23 hours ago, HuskyRich said:

Had loads of O/U's over the years and whilst I do like a nice O/U (or even SxS) I've always found semi autos to have more utility and have just always taken to them so much better.
My Browning Gold fits me like a glove and I shoot with it far better than any other non semi-auto gun I've used.
Dunno what it is about it but I've got a spare Browning Gold exactly the same just in case!

The gun I've shot best with at clays is a semi-auto.  I dare not sell it.  I went rough shooting with a semi auto (not the clay one) this morning for the first time.  It was a joy to take out. The only slight downside was it took a bit to find one of the empties.