Volkswagen BXE 1.9 tdi engine

Big Al

I drive too many miles to have a good car but I'm now onto my 5th car with the 1.9tdi VW engine. I bought my 5th, an 09 Passat, back in August with 90k on it. 

All was fine until about a month ago when a conrod let go and came straight through the engine block. Luckily it was under warranty and another engine (with 20k less miles) was fitted. It's driving well now.

I've done a bit of research and it's not exactly unknown for this to happen on a BXE engine. In fact it seems to be well known in VAG circles according to t'internet.

I'm now in two minds as to whether to change the car again. Is it something that's going to go on this engine too? Could lightening strike twice? It's out of warranty now too.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can tell me if I'm simply unlucky to have it happen once, or whether it's likely to happen again. 

Thanks.

22 hours ago, team tractor said:

Surely driving lots of miles is a good reason to have a good car

choclate cam shafts used to be the thing with Vw but I’ve not heard of Conrods going . I’ve only ever had Vw and swear by them 

https://bxeenginefailures.wordpress.com

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/vw-audi-bxe-engine-failures.72085/

I buy my 1.9tdi cars with first timing belt change and clutch done and drive for three years - I sell at between 150 and 200k miles. It has been a fool proof system until now....

56 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I had a 2009 Octavia with a BXE engine, the oil pump drive failed at 90k, ended up getting a second hand engine out of a write off. My current Skoda has the 1.6TDi, now upto 130k with no problems to-date.

Yep. I don't know about my oil pump, but the rest matches my BXE experience. I don't think I'll be keeping this one for 3 years!