Mallard

Lloyd90

I shot two mallard last night. One for me and one for a mate. 

I am thinking of roasting it with steaky bacon, then removing the bacon before done and covering it with orange marmalade. 

Either that or wrap it with smoked streaky bacon, and making an orange marmalade sauce to go on top. 

Thinking of making roast parsnip, potatoes and some green veg. 

Any tips or advice? 

AE9031FE-1505-477C-96A0-60323ED3C863.jpeg

Depends on size of bird but generally.....

Most of the meat is on the breasts, I would pluck breast and filet it with skin on and sear in a hot pan for 1 min each side, reduce pan to med and fry for 3 min each side Total time in pan 8 min), leave to rest for 4 min and ready to slice to serve.

If you are going to roast in oven a whole bird, 220 to 240 for 15- 20 mins is enough, if you brown beforehand 10min will be enough.

All my duck are served rare to prevent toughness oif the meat due to over cooking.

Just now, Stonepark said:

Most of the meat is on the breasts, I would pluck breast and filet it with skin on and sear in a hot pan for 1 min each side, reduce pan to med and fry for 3 min each side Total time in pan 8 min), leave to rest for 4 min and ready to slice to serve.

If you are going to roast in oven a whole bird, 220 to 240 for 15- 20 mins is enough, if you brown beforehand 10min will be enough.

All my duck are served rare to prevent toughness oif the meat due to over cooking.

See that recipe suggests 45 mins plus another 15 mins once the foil is off. 

It is in a stock bath with foil over the top and only just gone in. 

Can you eat duck pink? 

3 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Also the bird is in at 180c 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

See that recipe suggests 45 mins plus another 15 mins once the foil is off. 

It is in a stock bath with foil over the top and only just gone in. 

Can you eat duck pink? 

You are steaming the duck to maintain moisture and using a lower temperature so follow your recipe, but  mallard and other wildfowl are always best pink when roasted.

I often do a mixed salad then pan fried duck on top with a bramble or rasperry salad dressing.

1 minute ago, Stonepark said:

You are steaming the duck to maintain moisture and using a lower temperature so follow your recipe, but  mallard and other wildfowl are always best pink when roasted.

I often do a mixed salad then pan fried duck on top with a bramble or rasperry salad dressing.

I am roasting some carrots and parsnips in goose fat to go alongside :) 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

LD

F0563582-8882-4376-A93C-91A4153E7EB4.jpeg

0DCDC64B-9A9D-4B1B-9D12-630BADA834FB.jpeg

Under cooked or just right? 

Bit undercooked for me but it's like steak I suppose where your level or pink/rare wont be for everyone.

Personally I have only ever pan fried the breast meat. I would pluck the breasts, slice them out, score the skin, salt and pepper them and into a cold pan skin side down, then put it on the heat, let's the fat render out and cooks the meat in its own fat, turn it over after a few minutes to seal the other side then turn back onto the skin, cook to how rare you like it then rest it in the oven for a bit.

I haven't looked it up in a while but it's the way Gordon Ramsay done it in a YouTube video, I gave it a go and it was divine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2020 at 14:43, Lloyd90 said:

Yes that’s my concern. So how long do I cook it for. 

Can't give you any time really, all down to temperature and what you like.

To be very safe, put it in the oven first, let the breasts heat to 50 deg C or whatever you prefer.

Then put it in the pan to caramelize the skin/outside, use LOADS of butter and keep basting.

I usually wrap the breasts in bacon and give it 1 minute on full heat (in lots of butter) - turn - 2 minutes on 2 steps lower heat - turn - 2 minutes, basting them regularly.

/Markus

Edited by Nuke

On 03/12/2020 at 17:26, Nuke said:

Can't give you any time really, all down to temperature and what you like.

To be very safe, put it in the oven first, let the breasts heat to 50 deg C or whatever you prefer.

Then put it in the pan to caramelize the skin/outside, use LOADS of butter and keep basting.

I usually wrap the breasts in bacon and give it 1 minute on full heat (in lots of butter) - turn - 2 minutes on 2 steps lower heat - turn - 2 minutes, basting them regularly.

/Markus

I skin most of the ducks these days due to Rice Breast being found under the skin !

Looks pefectly done to me.

I tend to cut the breasts off and pan fry to get a nice crispy outer and render any fat out. Then pop into the oven on foil to finish at a low temp while I de glaze the pan with red wine or port adding a good spoon of any hedgerow jam or black current or bramble jelly, reduce down until it's coating the spoon with a nice deep coat add a knob of butter to give a nice gloss and thins it slightly. Plate the duck and pour the sauce over it. Work well with teal too and woodcock and partridge.