New air rifle legislation? Where was the sport/industry representation?

hwr

Link is broken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8982521/Under-18s-BANNED-shooting-air-guns-without-adult-new-plans.html

I'm sure BASC will respond formerly to this consultation, as will the gun trade association.

"Where was the sport/industry representation?"  - nowhere, it's only just been published for consultation!

Edited by udderlyoffroad

A bit more detail.

https://www.policeprofessional.com/news/proposals-to-strengthen-firearms-law-and-crackdown-on-air-weapons-unveiled/

This bit is also interesting "The public consultation will also seek views on how to increase security measures around powerful firearms, described as high-muzzle energy rifles, and how to strengthen controls on ammunition parts to prevent the unlawful manufacture of full rounds."

Looks like more tightening up of reloading components.

More restrictions for no reason they just don’t know when to stop, you can get reloading components via the post from almost anywhere in the world, you already need a FAC to buy propellant and  primers is that not enough, criminals will still get them anyway. This country gets worst every day keep piling on legislation on the law abiding.

and

also close loopholes that currently mean owners of small gun ranges can buy weapons without informing the police or having a licence.

they make this sound like it is common for owners of gun ranges to buy weapons without informing the police or having a licence for a start it is only an exemption for .22rf and probably not used very much these days as clubs will be affiliated to the home office and get a free FAC, Then saying the police will not be informed like hell the RFD selling the gun has to notify the police of the transfer.

the just make this rubbish up to look like they are doing something,  Where is the evidence that their is a problem? 

Edited by rbrowning2

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/firearms-safety?utm_source=dd6e583a-a0f6-4639-b2f0-e58b92dd85c6&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Some reading for you all. Recieved this this afternoon from FCA not read it all but it looks like they are pushing for higher security for high energy rifles. 

Edited by Dougy

50 minutes ago, Dougy said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/firearms-safety?utm_source=dd6e583a-a0f6-4639-b2f0-e58b92dd85c6&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Some reading for you all. Recieved this this afternoon from FCA not read it all but it looks like they are pushing for higher security for high energy rifles. 

Just had a quick look and a couple of things so far.

from the reloading components part

" What policy options have been considered, including any alternatives to regulation? Please justify preferred option (further details in Evidence Base)

Option 1 – Do nothing

Option 2 – To make it an offence to possess component parts of ammunition with intent to manufacture unauthorised quantities of complete rounds of ammunition." 

Isn't it already against the law too make unauthorized quantities of ammunition?

And from the high muzzle energy rifle part.

what do they class as high muzzle energy?

From what I've seen of it its a load of bull!  

2 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Just had a quick look and a couple of things so far.

from the reloading components part

" What policy options have been considered, including any alternatives to regulation? Please justify preferred option (further details in Evidence Base)

Option 1 – Do nothing

Option 2 – To make it an offence to possess component parts of ammunition with intent to manufacture unauthorised quantities of complete rounds of ammunition." 

Isn't it already against the law too make unauthorized quantities of ammunition?

And from the high muzzle energy rifle part.

what do they class as high muzzle energy?

From what I've seen of it its a load of bull!  

50,338LM,408  and similar, it does explain it all in the section under "high energy" 

Total bull, I like the part where they say the licensing medical report costs £51.00 I hope they tell my GP that and he refunds my £49.00 I paid in addition to the £51.00.

Really they have nothing better to do or suggest with tax payers money, I wait now for the knife safety consultation,

where nobody under 18 can use a knife all knifes must be locked away or stored at a local secure facility, no knife over one inch in length allowed and recommendation that a total ban on knifes should be implemented with the introduction of chop sticks as the England and Wales cutlery set.

3 minutes ago, Dougy said:

50,338LM,408  and similar, it does explain it all in the section under "high energy" 

I like the way they say their is no evidence that they are being used by criminals but we better improve the security just in case. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it!

Just now, London Best said:

I reckon they are thinking more of the terrorism threat rather than mere criminals use.

The only people to have ever used a .50cal rifle to kill people in the UK was PIRA terrorists in northern ireland in the early 90s. Why punish the law abiding people for the failures of the authorities who let a weapon like that get smuggled into the hands of terrorists. They certainly didnt steal it off a member of the public back then.

13 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Isn't it already against the law too make unauthorized quantities of ammunition?  Yes it is so enforce it!

How do you prove intent? Yes officer I have a case and a bullet but I have no intent of breaking the law by illegally acquiring powder and primers to make functioning ammunition because I am a nice criminal, oh that’s ok then as you clearly have demonstrated no intent.

As has been said what a load of bull, but will be implemented at VCR 2021.

Totally agree, but I still reckon that is the thinking behind it.

2 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

The only people to have ever used a .50cal rifle to kill people in the UK was PIRA terrorists in northern ireland in the early 90s. Why punish the law abiding people for the failures of the authorities who let a weapon like that get smuggled into the hands of terrorists. They certainly didnt steal it off a member of the public back then.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

I reckon they are thinking more of the terrorism threat rather than mere criminals use.

Think that given knives and vehicles have been used it shows just how hard it is for terrorists to get guns in the U.K from legally held sources.

Again like the idea of a panic button, by the time the police arrive the criminal will be long gone.

Edited by rbrowning2

7 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Isn't that they the way its done its a lot easier than sorting out the real problems

17 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

And i think they had come via special order from the States, not from legally held owners off mainland.

No idea where these people come from who put forward these ideas, only about 0.1% of firearm crime is committed with legally held firearms, and that includes air rifles. 

Edited by Dougy

10 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Think that given knives and vehicles have been used it shows just how hard it is for terrorists to get guns in the U.K from legally held sources.

For a while in northern ireland there was a spate of break ins where legally held firearms were being targeted. The journalist that was murdered last year(i think) was shot with a .22 target pistol....chances are it was a lucky shot fired in the general direction of the police but police released pictures of it when the gun was recovered. My first thought was that it most certainly had been stolen from a target shooter as the Hammerli pistols are very popular for target use. Again the media over egged it as a "high powered pistol"

1 minute ago, London Best said:

US supplied a lot of PIRA stuff.

Good ol' Noraid!

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

The most annoying thing is the amount of firearms entering into the country illegally, its common knowledge of how they are getting through customs yet B all or very little is done to reduce it. Far easier to target law abiding citizens. 

Sadly that's the way the system is set up here, bash and pillory the law abiding and let the breakers enjoy?

Just the easy official and cheap option?

The thought seemingly never occurs that the breakers don't give a fig and just carry on regardless?

17 hours ago, hwr said:

Under-18s 'will be BANNED from shooting air guns without an adult'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8982521/Under-18s-BANNED-shooting-air-guns-without-adult-new-plans.html

This is catastrophic for the industry 

No! that is only a proposal.

Now it is up to you to and the rest of us to respond to the CONSULTATION. 

It is not a given that the law will be changed, get onto the Government website and put your views forward in a polite and effective way.

The more people who respond in a constructive way the more chance there is that their views will be heard.

40 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

No! that is only a proposal.

Now it is up to you to and the rest of us to respond to the CONSULTATION. 

It is not a given that the law will be changed, get onto the Government website and put your views forward in a polite and effective way.

The more people who respond in a constructive way the more chance there is that their views will be heard.

We managed to hault the ban on 50 cal.

Admittedly more restrictions are now from the MOD allowing civi owners of H.E rifles on their ranges.

4 minutes ago, Dougy said:

We managed to hault the ban on 50 cal.

Admittedly more restrictions are now from the MOD allowing civi owners of H.E rifles on their ranges.

So now they are trying to ban them by making the security arrangements cost prohibited if they get their way their figures show an average cost to meet the security requirements will be £6,200.  They did not like losing.