New air rifle legislation? Where was the sport/industry representation?

hwr

52 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

So now they are trying to ban them by making the security arrangements cost prohibited if they get their way their figures show an average cost to meet the security requirements will be £6,200.  They did not like losing.

Where do you get the 6200 from? When you see the cost of a HE rifle and the fact that it is already an expensive hobby enjoyed by a few folk, the cost of extra security is minimal. I would be surprised if many of the people who have these weapons don’t already have enhanced security. 

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

Where do you get the 6200 from? When you see the cost of a HE rifle and the fact that it is already an expensive hobby enjoyed by a few folk, the cost of extra security is minimal. I would be surprised if many of the people who have these weapons don’t already have enhanced security. 

As I read it, the devil is in the detail, 

Table 4, Total set up costs for Option 3, reaching above Level 3 security from Level 1, 2019, £
   Cost estimate (£)
High
Low
Central
Per individual
Total costs for individuals
            Source: Home Office Analysis and Insight calculation based on numbers in Table 3, 2019. All costs accrued in Year 1. All values to the nearest 100 (£).

table has not copied good but table 4 in;

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/936556/HME_Rifles_IA_-_signed_30_09_2020.pdf

Failing to ban, so chip away indirectly. 

This is not proven of course but seems to be quite apparent.

Crime committed by these rifles in the UK is zero yet were targeted. 

Its drifted a tad off the raised topic but still people need to get a grip of the intension of the few who want ALL shooting banned. Air rifle to 50's. 

2 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

As I read it, the devil is in the detail, 

Table 4, Total set up costs for Option 3, reaching above Level 3 security from Level 1, 2019, £
   Cost estimate (£)
High
Low
Central
Per individual
Total costs for individuals
            Source: Home Office Analysis and Insight calculation based on numbers in Table 3, 2019. All costs accrued in Year 1. All values to the nearest 100 (£).

table has not copied good but table 4 in;

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/936556/HME_Rifles_IA_-_signed_30_09_2020.pdf

The reality is most of us are part way there. I’m certainly beyond minimum requirements. I suspect most others are. Although it is interesting to play around with 50 cal. As a hunter I couldn’t justify the cost of acquiring one, I’m more than happy to use up to a 6.5 calibre. They’ll cover all my hunting requirements. As some obviously can justify the cost of slinging lead out to a mile or more, good luck to them. If I had to upgrade my gun room with a steel door and shutter to the window I could do it for less than £1500.

BASC update below:

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) are gearing up to respond to the Government’s firearms safety consultation to ensure the future of sustainable shooting and firearms ownership.

The Home Office consultation, launched today (24th November), deals with several areas of interest including miniature rifle ranges, large calibre rifles, air guns and ammunition.

In detail the consultation asks for responses on:

• What level of enhanced security would sufficiently reduce the risk of high muzzle energy rifles (.50 calibre rifles) being stolen and misused.
  • The possession of air guns by under-18s, secure storage and safe-keeping
  • Proposals that miniature rifle range operator to apply for a firearm certificate and undergo necessary police checks.
  • The controls required for the possession of ammunition propellants and primers.

The consultation will run until 16th February 2021.

Leading BASC’s response and workload will be director of firearms Bill Harriman. He said: “The topics considered in the government’s consultation have been known about for several months. BASC has been using the delay to start working on a credible and robust response. The issues raised have already been analysed, with our conclusions drawn.

“BASC’s response will challenge the government to put up evidence-led and proportionate measures in any proposal that sees to regulate legitimate firearms ownership.”

Discussing the air guns proposals, Bill said: “On first glance it would appear that the government has listened to BASC’s concerns on licensing air guns and are considering other options.

“We will now work with government during the consultation period to ensure the legitimate shooting community are not left disadvantaged.”

BASC will be publishing an advice note in due course and urge members to respond to this consultation. 

Crackdown on teenage air gun shooters sparks rural backlash – The Telegraph

On 03/11/2020 at 06:45, hwr said:

Morning OPP

I agree, I think that’s a good idea. 
To be honest what else can you legally use one for?

However where’s the question coming from and why, it smells of authority creep to me.

Cheers

H

On 03/11/2020 at 07:55, mossy835 said:

if they are starting to ask this why,never knowing this befor.

On 03/11/2020 at 08:01, blackbird said:

Next renewal it will ask “ can you give details of the land you have permission to shoot on” 🤬🤬🤬

On 05/11/2020 at 18:52, mossy835 said:

i have renewed many a time, and never been asked why i need a gun.

On 05/11/2020 at 19:03, London Best said:

A friend in Cumbria was asked on renewal where he was going to use his shotgun. His reply was, “anywhere I am invited.”

On 24/11/2020 at 18:46, hwr said:

Under-18s 'will be BANNED from shooting air guns without an adult'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8982521/Under-18s-BANNED-shooting-air-guns-without-adult-new-plans.html

This is catastrophic for the industry 

My mistake, it’s under consultation, as pointed out by others.

So we all do need to respond to it.

Question is, what’s the driver behind it?

I’ve seen no information proving gun crime is increasingly performed using legally held guns.

Is it just a case of ineffectual government coming after gun control for pr reasons? 

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Don't forget to use any comments sections to increase our liberties, i.e. lift air gun power limits to 18ftlbs without requiring fac, etc

Good idea but I can't see that happening. Now the last thing we want is any interference with tens of thousands of legitimate  air rifle users having their sub 12s. Going for FAC introduces all sorts of complexities. If these folk want to know who's got what and as the mis/ab use of the sub 12s is minimal, how about a new level, say, from the 12 up to 18 ft/lbs-ish on a SGC equivalent standard certificate/licence and to which an existing SGC holder could add such a rifle should they so wish.

Hi not many rules on the first licence. You could have a gun but could anyone afford to take them out or use them. It was the same for almost a hundred years until the police took over. When I got my gun licence it was to carry or use it not to own it. We had to get licences when the local Sargent stopped my dad and uncle and myself with a shotgun. He just said that he wanted to see a license for that next time I see you, that means three. Dad wasn’t to pleased he had to buy two. Good job it wasn’t in 1870

892B1E02-BAB3-4FCE-98EA-9F9C0F87414D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...