BSA R-10 TH 177

wymberley

So if you barrel is the 12 inch one over the 15 inch barrel (177 ) then they can definatly  prefer  a pellet with a large head and more importantly a large skirt .

A good example is a bisley magnum they have particularly  wide skirts this creates an excellent pellet / bore seal resulting in good accuracy  and energy 

Another pellet to try is the jsb exact 4.53 mm and h+n hunter extreme. 

The barracuda ft at 9.5 grns can also perform very well .

Also worth a try is the qys 8.5 grn and 9.5 grn  stream lined (the domed version has a pretty low bc which effects its potential at longer ranges  .) 

Don't forget the jsb heavy .always worth a try .though I've never had great success  with them  

What have you tried so far and whats your fave ? Can you give an idea of group size at say 35 yds  ? 

I'd expect a soild 12 mm c/c at 35 yds and 20 -25 mm max at 50 

With the odd 18 mm group when the wind allows. 

After 50 yds environmental factors tend to take over with the sub 12 .  177 and meaningful group sizes are an exercise in frustration  .

Cheers, Ultrastu.

I have tried AA Diabolo Field, H&N Field Target Trophy and Baracuda Match. Also JSB Exact and Exact Heavy. At the moment the accuracy is a toss up between the latter two. My big problem is my body - it's falling to bits -  and I know that I can do better if I get the trigger pull sorted This I have now done but as you've no doubt seen - this sub forum, "Oops How Much" -  this caused me a problem so I'm waitng to see what the improvement will be. I've just checked my targets and with a measured 40 yard zero distance I was 5 shot grouping at 15 to 20mm. While I'm locked up I'll order some Bisley and then make a  final decision. At the moment I am favouring the Exact Heavy because of its clout down range.

Yes the jsb heavies can carry a fair more energy at target than the others. The bc being usually pretty high,often giving around 1 fpe more on a 40 yd  target than the jsb  8.44 grn pellets .

Don't forget the jsb exact in the 4.53 mm head size .these perform considerably better than the 4.52 and 4.51 in most of my .177 bsa s 

@wymberleyI hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs but I take it you are buying samples and not full tins?

I haven't done anything past 30mtrs,  like Stu says the bis mags shoot well but more drop being heavy,  I'm using 4.52 JSB heavies but found most pellets went well, Daystate sovereigns are definitely worth a look.

Only thing I've been doing is avoiding short pellets because of the possibility of jams, but I've just bought a Pneumatic Ballistic double mag which works differently to the BSA mag I just haven't had chance to play with it yet.

What are you planning on doing with the rifle target or hunting?

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

@wymberleyI hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs but I take it you are buying samples and not full tins?

I haven't done anything past 30mtrs,  like Stu says the bis mags shoot well but more drop being heavy,  I'm using 4.52 JSB heavies but found most pellets went well, Daystate sovereigns are definitely worth a look.

Only thing I've been doing is avoiding short pellets because of the possibility of jams, but I've just bought a Pneumatic Ballistic double mag which works differently to the BSA mag I just haven't had chance to play with it yet.

What are you planning on doing with the rifle target or hunting?

Good, sound and well intentioned advice is never anything but. I have bought a couple of full tins - the JSB because I got some with the gun and they did suit - the rest have been sample tins; as are the Bisley. Without the gun at the moment it's all up in the air. As I know that I have two pretty good pellet wieights - light and heavy, I was toying with the idea of using both dependent upon quarry type. In that case, the double mag for the smaller pellets looks to be a good idea especially as the smaller JSB has the edge over the Heavy. Will see how I get on after lockdown.

I bought a BSA springer not too long ago, but the arthritis struck and now it's too painful to cock frequently: So as the bank balance went up over the last lockdown I sold this and treated myself to the R-10. The real question is, why did I buy the springer? Answer, because it was a good idea at the time. Then I got tunnel vision. For starters it'll be both terrestrial and arborial rats.

I have a bsa ultra in .177 

That I use 2 different pellets in for different quarry .they are heavy 10.4 grn  bismags and 9.5 grn  hunter extremes. 

They perform differently to each other on impact but have the same accuracy .and trajectory .and poi .

The bismag is great for pigeons and squirrels where a bit of extra penetration  is needed  .and the extremes are good for rats and rabbits where over penetration  isn't wanted .I carry both on gun and swap as the quarry is targeted  

though a med weight (8.5 grn ) dome  pellet can really be a do it all solution. 

8 hours ago, wymberley said:

For starters it'll be both terrestrial and arborial rats.

I was using AA or JSB exacts,  there is a small difference in the two but you have to look really closely to see it, I had a couple of runners with head shot squirrels so switched to the JSB heavies,  no pellet jams, they shoot well and they drop squirrels hard.

People always comment that accuracy kills, it could have been down to my pellet placement but for me on squirrels heavies kill better.

I was pellet testing before my gun broke(second hand) and there was little in it really. 

I would only use the heavies on rats if pass through wasn't a problem,  I've read loads of posts about people using exacts with great effect but I'd worry about the mag.

The H&N extremes get good comments as well but I've not given them a good run yet, I did a quick trial one morning and went with the heavies but I'd want to use them on rats.

If you want some extremes to try send me a PM and I'll send you some.

49 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I was using AA or JSB exacts,  there is a small difference in the two but you have to look really closely to see it, I had a couple of runners with head shot squirrels so switched to the JSB heavies,  no pellet jams, they shoot well and they drop squirrels hard.

People always comment that accuracy kills, it could have been down to my pellet placement but for me on squirrels heavies kill better.

I was pellet testing before my gun broke(second hand) and there was little in it really. 

I would only use the heavies on rats if pass through wasn't a problem,  I've read loads of posts about people using exacts with great effect but I'd worry about the mag.

The H&N extremes get good comments as well but I've not given them a good run yet, I did a quick trial one morning and went with the heavies but I'd want to use them on rats.

If you want some extremes to try send me a PM and I'll send you some.

That's very good of you and is appreciated. Could I take a rain cheque on it? It's like the buses - none, then 3 all at once The reasons being that my W&S 702 should be with me soon and it'll need some work. I've just come off the phone with Viv, my FEO, and all is well with my renewals so I'll be able to pick up the new 22 WMR when it comes and I have a fair few cartridges makes to try out. Also I can collect the R-10 next week which once the scope is refitted and a check zero done I can see how much difference the trigger work has made with the pellets originally tried before checking out the Bisley Magnums. So, going to be busy up until the new year.

27 minutes ago, wymberley said:

That's very good of you and is appreciated. Could I take a rain cheque on it? It's like the buses - none, then 3 all at once The reasons being that my W&S 702 should be with me soon and it'll need some work. I've just come off the phone with Viv, my FEO, and all is well with my renewals so I'll be able to pick up the new 22 WMR when it comes and I have a fair few cartridges makes to try out. Also I can collect the R-10 next week which once the scope is refitted and a check zero done I can see how much difference the trigger work has made with the pellets originally tried before checking out the Bisley Magnums. So, going to be busy up until the new year.

of course you can, give me a shout if you want some, others have done the same for me 👍

Certainly sounds like you are going to be busy.

On 26/11/2020 at 20:31, Mice! said:

of course you can, give me a shout if you want some, others have done the same for me 👍

Certainly sounds like you are going to be busy.

Talk about one pace forward and two back. Having now checked, I still have no firm idea of when the 22 WMR will arrive and I'v just been given my third "ready in a fortnight" for the 702. Consequently, i'll focus on the BSA. The Bisley Magnum have arrived. Judging by looks only - never a good idea - what I've read about these/H&N Baracuda Match/Weihrauch Magnum does seem to make sense.

So, Mice, if you'd be so kind a PM is inbound.