Driving instructor question.

harrycatcat1

May I ask any driving instructors on here do the pupils get taught to approach a junction at full speed then slam the brakes on at the last minute at the same time as indicating?

The amount of times I have seen this is too much of a coincidence, surely?

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

50 minutes ago, tonker said:

When us dinosaurs were taught to drive, it was use the engine revs and gears to slow down. Now you have a go pedal and a stop pedal and the more you press either of them affects the speed you go or stop.

It does appear very little 'acceleration sense' is taught these days. It was a mantra that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes at training college but you where expected to have already read the road way ahead and adjusted your speed to accomodate.  Forward observations was a large part of the driver training when I was at Stafford Police Training  and that is why a large part of your training and the hour long test involved commentary on what you could see and what you would do about it.  You should always be wanting to be able to see around that next bend.  That car and motorcyle course/s has saved my life many times over the years.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

May I ask any driving instructors on here do the pupils get taught to approach a junction at full speed then slam the brakes on at the last minute at the same time as indicating?

Am i correct in thinking its drivers who have passed their test you are talking about?. 

Once people have passed their test its a case of YIPPEE LETS GO.   

My favourite are the ones that don't indicate coming up to a junction/roundabout then as they're turning they flip the indicator on. I bet they pat themselves on the back thinking they're a good driver... I scream internally more at these people than the ones who don't even bother indicating :D

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

It does appear very little 'acceleration sense' is taught these days. It was a mantra that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes at training college but you where expected to have already read the road way ahead and adjusted your speed to accomodate.  Forward observations was a large part of the driver training when I was at Stafford Police Training  and that is why a large part of your training and the hour long test involved commentary on what you could see and what you would do about it.  You should always be wanting to be able to see around that next bend.  That car and motorcyle course/s has saved my life many times over the years.

That's very similar to the defensive riding we are taught when riding a bike. on a bit from the test.

11 minutes ago, peck said:

Am i correct in thinking its drivers who have passed their test you are talking about?. 

Yes once they have passed their test.

7 minutes ago, Opossum said:

My favourite are the ones that don't indicate coming up to a junction/roundabout then as they're turning they flip the indicator on. I bet they pat themselves on the back thinking they're a good driver... I scream internally more at these people than the ones who don't even bother indicating :D

Yes that's another one.

I am sure the greatest danger on the roads today is from people on mobile phones. I made a short 4 mile journey yesterday both on country roads and main A road and saw three vehicles ahead of me who obviously where on phones, varing speed for no reason, braking for no reason and wandering all over the carriageway. Two vans and a car.

Cannot believe three drunks at 8am  but driving that way.

That what you had to do for the Advanced driving test. 

But my pet hate is not indicating at roundabouts, then taking the 1st exit. 

But then I can't talk as I am now for the 1st time in over 35 years a criminal, been caught for speeding on a slip road onto the A38. WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT A "T" JUNCTION THERE INSTEAD. 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

That what you had to do for the Advanced driving test. 

But my pet hate is not indicating at roundabouts, then taking the 1st exit. 

But then I can't talk as I am now for the 1st time in over 35 years a criminal, been caught for speeding on a slip road onto the A38. WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT A "T" JUNCTION THERE INSTEAD. 

My advanced instructor always said to be a few miles faster than the intervening traffic as you moved from slip road to motorway. How often do you see drivers almost come to a stop .  Excess speed on a slip road ?   Camera or mobile ?

My advanced instructor always said to be a few miles faster than the intervening traffic as you moved from slip road to motorway. How often do you see drivers almost come to a stop . 

Chose your slip road lane depending on whether to were travelling uphill or down.

Look over your shoulder - life saver.

Three stage braking.

On a right hand bend, tuck into the left of the lane. On a left hand bend, keep over to the right - to see further.

Gears for go, brakes for slow.

The system.

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

No they are not taught to indicate!

I am sure the greatest danger on the roads today is from people on mobile phones. I made a short 4 mile journey yesterday both on country roads and main A road and saw three vehicles ahead of me who obviously where on phones, varing speed for no reason, braking for no reason and wandering all over the carriageway. Two vans and a car.

Cannot believe three drunks at 8am  but driving that way.

Me and you would get along fine I think the same they can,t be drunk that early in the morning ? ,But to be honest they drive as if drink or drugs is in the blood stream .don't seem to matter if it's a bicycle or 40 tonner you have got to be on the phone .I just like sitting 25 yards from the squirrel feeder with the phone turned off Happy days every body

Let me rephrase the question,  some folk when driving along a main road, they stamp on the brakes and indicate when they want to turn left or right off the main road.

Are they taught to do this or are they taught to give plenty of notice of a manoeuvre before braking?

Edited by harrycatcat1