Driving instructor question.

harrycatcat1

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Excess speed on a slip road ?   Camera or mobile ?

ON Lap top now, 

it was a mobile, a dirty one at that.

Its 30 MPH due to running parallel to houses and a junction going into the village there is also a road leading off to a small estate 100 yds past that. Then the national speed limit sign, which is around 150mtr from the A38. (Its Alrewas near Lichfield) I started to speed up just after the junction to the village. 

I've fairly recently retired (3-4 years ago) from working for 30 years in the driver education industry, covering learners, advanced, speed awareness and police driver improvement courses, Insurance/medical assessments.

Any specific questions about driving tests, driving instructor qualification/grades etc. please ask, I'll help if I can.

43 minutes ago, Dougy said:

ON Lap top now, 

it was a mobile, a dirty one at that.

Its 30 MPH due to running parallel to houses and a junction going into the village there is also a road leading off to a small estate 100 yds past that. Then the national speed limit sign, which is around 150mtr from the A38. (Its Alrewas near Lichfield) I started to speed up just after the junction to the village. 

Know it well.  Yes I always found it confusing there.  I got knocked in Nuneaton, very similar. I saw a car coming from behind me and just touched the accelerator to get out of the way and there was the camera  36mph.  Spoke with a local and he said they clock about a 1000 a week on the same camera.   My move was simply to safely clear out of the way of a potetial accident.  It happens.  Annoying because I am a stickler with the 30 and 40 limits and 50 limits on motoway works.

50 minutes ago, walshie said:

Surely this thread is a cue for the saintly whiter-than-white Peter Perfects to stick their oar in about how they have NEVER exceeded the speed limit ever in their lives. 

I try my dam hardest in my van but the ****** wont go over 70. In fact I apologise to any motorists on the a303 stuck behind a Ford transit connect doing 50mph, I do have my foot pinned to the floor just I bought a low powered bit of junk 😂

I recently went on a wrinklies driving assessment, I was worried that it was my standard of driving that was at fault and all of the other idiot drivers were right  !  Suffice it to say after some 2 hours of driving, the only thing I was doing wrong was failing to take my vehicle out of D and into N or P when stopped in traffic or at lights. I always apply the handbrake, to avoid blinding some poor sod behind me with my brake lights.  At the next set of lights, I moved the selector into N after applying the handbrake. Watching the opposite set of lights, I saw them go onto red. By the time I had faffed about moving the selector into D and then releasing the handbrake, etc., the lights had nearly gone back to red  !  Mind you, it did give the FOUR red lighters time to get across the junction, before I moved off. It would appear that RED means STOP, IF you have nothing better to do or you need to send a text message. My Grandson is currently having lessons and has a test in January, he is being taught to NOT use the handbrake but to sit with his foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights  ?

I do not have a problem with those who choose to exceed the speed limit, just please do not crawl all over my tailgate if I choose to stick to it.  It is my experience that the people who choose to exceed the speed limits,  are the first to moan when they get caught  !

I learnt to drive back in the handbrake at stopped days, also always gearing down sequentially. Clutches are far better than they were 30 years ago so I now hold the car on the brakes. Having said that my last three cars have been automatics with stop start. Technology changes and with it behaviour. 

If your eyes are dazzled by brake lights you may be suffering from halo cataracts etc and past your driving days. 

That reminds me, those who rely upon full beams for anything other than the wildest nights. Lots of older folks I see driving seem to use their full beams at all times seemingly to make up for failing eyesight. Blinding pedestrians. There is honour in knowing when you are past it.

🐈 > 🐦🐦🐦

14 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I try my dam hardest in my van but the ****** wont go over 70. In fact I apologise to any motorists on the a303 stuck behind a Ford transit connect doing 50mph, I do have my foot pinned to the floor just I bought a low powered bit of junk 😂

be careful of vans and speed limits - different ones may apply to you 

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I learnt to drive back in the handbrake at stopped days, also always gearing down sequentially. Clutches are far better than they were 30 years ago so I now hold the car on the brakes. Having said that my last three cars have been automatics with stop start. Technology changes and with it behaviour. 

If your eyes are dazzled by brake lights you may be suffering from halo cataracts etc and past your driving days. 

That reminds me, those who rely upon full beams for anything other than the wildest nights. Lots of older folks I see driving seem to use their full beams at all times seemingly to make up for failing eyesight. Blinding pedestrians. There is honour in knowing when you are past it.

🐈 > 🐦🐦🐦

Without doubt the new LED headlights on cars when on dipped are a menace. They are far too bright and everything behind them is black plus every slight bump in the road and they flash which on a couple of occasions I have seen other cars pull out because they thought the car had flashed to let them out.  Main beams fine, brighter the better.

There is little doubt that some layouts on the LED brake lights are exceptional.  I think the various designers try to out do each other and the indicators are often engulfed by them.  Car lighting design needs a considerable re vamp. as some are like Blackpool Illuminations.

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

That reminds me, those who rely upon full beams for anything other than the wildest nights. Lots of older folks I see,  driving seem to use their full beams at all times seemingly to make up for failing eyesight. Blinding pedestrians. There is honour in knowing when you are past it.

🐈 > 🐦🐦🐦

Having had cataract ops., my eyesight is near perfect, or at least my Optician tells me so, however sitting behind someone who has their foot on the brake and the bloomin indicator constantly going, I find highly irritating. My advanced course Instructor would look upwards through the windscreen and sarcastically ask "Aircraft Signals  ?".  Basically, unless you are in the right turn lane, where I will indicate until someone pulls up behind me, then stop it until the lights change, I see no point in indication until I am about to move off. How many times are you sat in, what can only be a left or right turn lane, looking at an unnecessary indicator, usually backed up with brake lights  ? I  attempt to drive with due consideration for other road users and avoid making any manoeuvre that causes them to alter course or speed. I seem to be in the single minority  !

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Without doubt the new LED headlights on cars when on dipped are a menace. They are far too bright and everything behind them is black plus every slight bump in the road and they flash which on a couple of occasions I have seen other cars pull out because they thought the car had flashed to let them out.  Main beams fine, brighter the better.

There is little doubt that some layouts on the LED brake lights are exceptional.  I think the various designers try to out do each other and the indicators are often engulfed by them.  Car lighting design needs a considerable re vamp. as some are like Blackpool Illuminations.

A lot of cars now have ‘flat’ light patterns that don’t dip to the left (or the right in Europe). Also auto main/dip function. I’m always sensitive to the fact that my lights dip for oncoming traffic but not pedestrians. 

On 25/11/2020 at 13:51, Walker570 said:

It does appear very little 'acceleration sense' is taught these days. It was a mantra that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes at training college but you where expected to have already read the road way ahead and adjusted your speed to accomodate.  Forward observations was a large part of the driver training when I was at Stafford Police Training  and that is why a large part of your training and the hour long test involved commentary on what you could see and what you would do about it.  You should always be wanting to be able to see around that next bend.  That car and motorcyle course/s has saved my life many times over the years.

I had a driver training program that included a section through Northampton where we were told not to use the brakes. Again with the same commentary.

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I agree but also see them then dip their lights for cars, when I’m out running and they have been blinding me for 100m and dip if a car comes it’s really frustrating. 

At least in a car you can flash your headlights at them as a gentle reminder.

On 25/11/2020 at 16:47, harrycatcat1 said:

Let me rephrase the question,  some folk when driving along a main road, they stamp on the brakes and indicate when they want to turn left or right off the main road.

Are they taught to do this or are they taught to give plenty of notice of a manoeuvre before braking?

They’re taught to give plenty of notice of a manoeuvre before braking. 

On 25/11/2020 at 21:20, ClemFandango said:

No rush. I've already got loads. 

😂

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Well they must be bone idle then because I see a lot of it. I just wondered if that's how they were taught in this crazy world.

My apologies, I’m just getting a little tired of all the negativity going around at the moment, and was just waiting for this to generate yet another ‘snowflake’ thread.

My daughter is currently learning to drive and I can assure you, what you are describing isn’t taught, nor is it just the young who are guilty of it. 🙂

2 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Mirror - Signal - Manoeuvre

Braking is part of the manoeuvre and people should be taught to signal before braking.  

The trouble is they don't have an app for it, that is the problem.     MSM  mirror signal manoevour braking should not come into it as your acceleration sense should have sorted your approach speed.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

My apologies, I’m just getting a little tired of all the negativity going around at the moment, and was just waiting for this to generate yet another ‘snowflake’ thread.

My daughter is currently learning to drive and I can assure you, what you are describing isn’t taught, nor is it just the young who are guilty of it. 🙂

Never really pointed at any age group to be honest as they just fly around the corner so never see them 🤣🤣

no apologies needed 👍👍