Caesar Guerini apex. Sporter or game right for me?

Ayrshireshooter

Hello,

So I have been shooting for a bit over a year and have really caught the bug to the point of being a bit obsessive.

i shoot 95 percent clays with the odd game day and simulated game. Skeet and sporting mostly.

the gun I own is a silver pigeon field variant with 30 inch barrels. I quite like it but looking for something a bit more special.

I love the look of the Guerini Maxum and apex and tried out the apex Sporter with 32 inch barrels. Unsurprisingly it fealt quite chunky and heavy and I didn't shoot so well over 200 rounds. I chickened out and didn't buy. There is a field variant now available which has 30 inch barrels and no doubt would feel more familiar.

what I can't decide though is perhaps I should go for the Sporter. Although the weight felt odd perhaps I just need to get used to it? How do you tell something you don't like to something that's just unfamiliar?

recoil is not an issue at all for me but I can't help wondering if that extra weight would improve my shooting via a mor steady swing. Should I take the chance and move to a 30 inch apex Sporter or go for this deal on a 30 inch game model?

ps Maxum looks great too!

It’s a nice problem to have! And a new gun is always exciting. I have had both the Guerini Maxum in 32 “ 12g Sporter and 32” Game models. Both were lovely guns, the Sporter was 8lbs and the Game gun 7 lb 10 oz . The Game gun also has has a narrow rib compared to the Sporter. So the Game gun would feel similar to the Silver Pigeon. See if you can try one in that specification , you will feel the difference . 

56 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

When you pick up an unfamiliar gun and it feels right you just know. If it doesn’t I would walk away. It won’t suit you but I use a 20 bore 32” maxum and love it. I shoot game and clays just to keep my eye in. I would keep looking!

Interesting. I think though given I've only owned one gun it might be a bit different for my. I've handled sporting guns before in lessons etc I think.

a lot of opinions on the internet are that the extra 1/2 - 1 pound of weight can translate to significant performance improvement?

2 hours ago, Blueflame said:

It’s a nice problem to have! And a new gun is always exciting. I have had both the Guerini Maxum in 32 “ 12g Sporter and 32” Game models. Both were lovely guns, the Sporter was 8lbs and the Game gun 7 lb 10 oz . The Game gun also has has a narrow rib compared to the Sporter. So the Game gun would feel similar to the Silver Pigeon. See if you can try one in that specification , you will feel the difference . 

Hi did you find yourself shooting better with the Sporter? 

If it don't feel right or you don't like the feel.of it. Don't buy it, you'll regret it later.

There are some lovely guns that will do both game and clays.

Try as many as you can and don't buy in haste and repent at leisure.  If you like the Beretta have a look at the higher grades. 

You'd need more than a couple of hundred to adjust to the weight and fit of a CG sporter after a year with a field model Beretta.

I get on well with CG sporters, not so much with Berettas as the fit is a bit different, but everyone has their preferences. What I would say is don't choose a gun on looks alone. What you could do is buy a used CG Summit in 32" and shoot it for a while. If it doesn't work out well you won't lose much by moving it on, but if you like it the fit and feel of the Summit, the Apex or Maxum will work just the same.

Both guns were very good, but I only used the Maxum sporter for clays . I used the Maxum game model for game and practise on clays. As an all rounder that was the best gun. When you carry a 32” sporter to the stand in a slip, shoot 10 clays the re slip the gun it’s comfortable. When you have to hold that 8lb gun a long time then your enjoyment and accuracy starts to fade in my  experience. I would look for a game model to try as the starting point. If that feels right then you have the answer.

Straight Powder!