Central Heating 'problem'

steve_b_wales

I've just had all new radiators (apart from the kitchen one) fitted, and I'm having problems. Basically, the boiler (Combi) is at it's highest setting. If the radiators are on the max #5 setting, they are very hot and remain that way. If they are turned down to #3, they go cold and remain that way, not reheating back up. Turning them to #'4, some reheat. They have all been bled to no avail. Any ideas?

Firstly,  the numbers you refer to are on the TRV ( look it up) and related to how warm the room is.  Say that 4 represents 20 degrees,  then the valve would be open until the room gets to the 20 degrees, at which point the valve will close and the radiator will start to cool down. 

So set the number to how warm you want the room, there will be some trail and error. Trv's are good, the radiator only demands water when the room is colder than you would like

16 minutes ago, whitehackle said:

Firstly,  the numbers you refer to are on the TRV ( look it up) and related to how warm the room is.  Say that 4 represents 20 degrees,  then the valve would be open until the room gets to the 20 degrees, at which point the valve will close and the radiator will start to cool down. 

So set the number to how warm you want the room, there will be some trail and error. Trv's are good, the radiator only demands water when the room is colder than you would like

The problem we are getting is that the radiators don't appear to warm back up. I'll try it again soon and see what happens when the room reaches the temperature required (we don't have room thermostats fitted) and will see if they will start to warm back up once the room cools down. Thanks. And I agree that TRV's are good, they were fitted to all the old radiators. We only changed them all as they were over 25 years old, even though they worked okay.

Have a look on YouTube at 'balancing heating radiators'. IF they are not already balanced, it is worthwhile doing. As already said, WHERE is the room thermostat fitted  ?  I currently use a wireless clock/programmer/room stat. My Wife tends to leave it in the coolest room in the house, the remaining rooms are like sauna's  !

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Steve where is your thermostat sitting?

What temperature is it set to?

I haven't got a room thermostat. Only have TRV's on the radiators.

34 minutes ago, Westley said:

Have a look on YouTube at 'balancing heating radiators'. IF they are not already balanced, it is worthwhile doing. As already said, WHERE is the room thermostat fitted  ?  I currently use a wireless clock/programmer/room stat. My Wife tends to leave it in the coolest room in the house, the remaining rooms are like sauna's  !

Will do. :good:

You won't get 25years out if these ones, maybe 2.5 years.

They have a wax or oil filled capsule in the head, this swells with heat closing down the valve.

You will have decorator caps to put on in place when decorating, try a few and see how far open from closed before you get heat to the radiator pipes. This will let you know how balanced your system is.

I wouldn't go playing with the lock sheild valves untill you know the state of play.

13 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I haven't got a room thermostat. Only have TRV's on the radiators.

Will do. :good:

I have installed a radiator in my 'Man Cave'  (Loft conversion).     It has a TRV fitted. I find that in the current climate if I have it on 4 or below, the Rad. is only lukewarm. Downstairs, is my Wife's domain and ALL of the TRV's are on FULL, with the exception of the gun cabinet room which is on the lowest (frost) setting.

The old style trv's were usually 30deg c then they shutdown. 

As time has moved on the temps came down, last ones I looked at shut off completely at around 27deg c, the newer ones like yours Steve may well be lower again. 

Position of the heads is critical, I've had to in the past turn them 90degrees so the head stuck out the side as the radiator gave out enough heat to close the head down when upright.

Try placing a book or magazine between the head and side of the radiator and see if this is the case with yours.

There supposed to sense the air temp and close down and open accordingly. Have a thermometer in the room and see what the temp is at head height when sitting.

In reality a trv when the temp reaches 27degc at the head near the floor the room where your sat is at least 30c

18 minutes ago, figgy said:

The old style trv's were usually 30deg c then they shutdown. 

As time has moved on the temps came down, last ones I looked at shut off completely at around 27deg c, the newer ones like yours Steve may well be lower again. 

Position of the heads is critical, I've had to in the past turn them 90degrees so the head stuck out the side as the radiator gave out enough heat to close the head down when upright.

Try placing a book or magazine between the head and side of the radiator and see if this is the case with yours.

There supposed to sense the air temp and close down and open accordingly. Have a thermometer in the room and see what the temp is at head height when sitting.

In reality a trv when the temp reaches 27degc at the head near the floor the room where your sat is at least 30c

This, of coarse, assumes the rads are correctly sized.  Also preferable to have trv on return line (rad outflow).

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Unscrew the Thermostats and check the plunger is free, mine needed freeing just kept pushing the valve up and down with a hard object and a thumb. 

hqdefault.jpg

Just a point to note for anyone looking at this post and wanting to have a fiddle with their TRVs.  This is advice given to me by my plumber:  You see the little pin which has been revealed by unscrewing the TRV cap... DO NOT pull it up!  If you do it may well come out and you'll have a flood on your hands!

That pin can indeed get stuck in the lower-most position, thus meaning cold radiators.  The highly technical remedy applied by plumbers, after years of advanced training is..... give it a good few whacks on top with a sturdy spanner!  That very often frees it up and it will rise up again to where it should be.  Never pull it up, is what I've been told!.