The BBC's got problems (shocker!)

chrisjpainter

Ofcom's announced that over-55's are growing less satisfied with the BBC - but that age group is still 'better served than other groups'. They're still not attracting younger watchers either. So, losing the support of their traditional supporter base and not winning a new one. I can't see it surviving in its current form if that's true.

Over-55s growing less satisfied with the BBC, Ofcom says - BBC News

I'm 35 and there's barely anything I'd choose to watch on BBC these days. The drama series I have watched have been disappointing or unwatchable. Too often diversity is regarded as more important than quality, it seems, and that's before you get to its ever encroaching, lefty townie agenda

Edited by chrisjpainter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their problem is only going to get worse as more and more people go over to Smart TV's. 

Older generations struggled with chrome casts etc. and streaming to begin with. It's so easy to stream and have Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as plenty of catch up options on a smart TV now that anyone can do it. 

It will be a shame to see British TV go the way of American TV. 800+ channels, all full of junk. 

Apart from anything else, I think the BBC is a vile organisation, they send intimidating letters out to everyone, threatening debt collectors and legal action and send people out, demanding to be let in to their homes to anyone who doesn't pay for a licence, including those who legally don't need one. It's amazing it's allowed to go on in todays age, it is effectively state sponsored intimidation,with a presumsion of guilt. 

When I lived in the UK, I resented the fact that the TV licence wasn't called the BBC fee. I could accept the compulsory fee payer model if the BBC produced high quality, unbiased factual television as it's a gap not always filled by commercial channels. But no, the BBC competed in the race to the bottom. Time for the BBC, at least in it's current form to go.

Guest cookoff013

We had enforcers arrive as we were moving into a new house. Said they detected a tv. I invited them in. The house was bare. There was nothing in there. They looked around for 10 mins. No furniture, no tv, no curtain, no bed, no carpet. He looked in the cupboard.

It was like that youngones sketch. 

"We know you have a telly, we detected it"

8 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I am at the stage where I almost watch YouTube more than I watch TV.

I am 61 and I agree with what you are saying.

They ask us to stay home and feed us the same old rubbish repeats.

I’m totally with you on this point. YouTube is my most watched channel 

Hello, I despair how the BBC are going and it only goes to show its most of us senior citizens that continue to pay the licence fee and the younger generation have most given up watching BBC content to live streaming, paying so called stars obscene amounts of money then stopping a free licence for the over 80s, I think we are all growing less satisfied of what use to be the most watched channel in uk

Whatever you think of it’s programs (I think some are quite good and watching without adverts is bliss compared to satellite and my radio is permanently on radio 4) it’s time is over. Music has moved from album purchase to individual tracks, tv has gone the same way.

As for the compulsion to purchase a “licence” for something large numbers of people don’t even watch, well.....

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

We had enforcers arrive as we were moving into a new house. Said they detected a tv. I invited them in.

For the avoidance of doubt, never do this under normal circumstances.  Politely, but firmly close the door on them.  Don't even say 'come back with a warrant' - you are not Scumbag Extra no 3 from an early episode of 'The Bill'.

28 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

I have not had  a TV for over 10 years now, and certainly wont have as long as the BBC hand out contracts to Chris Packham and his ilk

Am sure you know this, but just in case:

You are required to have a TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it is broadcast, or use Iplayer, not because you own a TV. 

Don't feel you all have to crowd round a laptop screen to watch Netflix in the Blackpowder household, merely to avoid contributing to Kwis' already healthy salary.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

21 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Music has moved from album purchase to individual tracks, tv has gone the same way.

Our house has bought 2 albums this year - or rather our 17 year old has - Vinyl is on the increase 😉

13 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You are required to have a TV Licence if you watch or record Live TV as it is broadcast

What about the +1 channels of the ITV & Channel 4

Guest cookoff013
18 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

For the avoidance of doubt, never do this under normal circumstances.  Politely, but firmly close the door on them.  Don't even say 'come back with a warrant' - you are not Scumbag Extra no 3 from an early episode of 'The Bill'.

i invited them in because all out stuff was in the van waiting outside. there was absolutely nothing in the house. it was bare. he had a good rummage. but it was funny, they even looked in the kitchen cupboard. toilet, and the fixed wardrobe in the bedroom. it was absolutely bare. 
it was more comical than anything else. he was getting frustrated. because i was winding him up something cronic. (very politely though). 

i know not to let anyone in under any other circumstances.

10 minutes ago, discobob said:

What about the +1 channels of the ITV & Channel 4

That is still live television being broadcast.  People have tried this and come unstuck.  I've removed the word 'live' from my previous post for the avoidance of doubt.  Live means 'as they are broadcast' in this context, not whether the programme was pre-recorded or transmitted live.

9 minutes ago, snow white said:

So you watch YouTube television with out a license

Correct.  It's the act of watching live TV that requires a licence, not ownership of a device which can.  TVL even say so on their own website

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Note the weasely words for point no 2 - live on an online TV service does not mean 'watch youtube videos', it means watch Premier League broadcasts.

6 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Apart from anything else, I think the BBC is a vile organisation, they send intimidating letters out to everyone, threatening debt collectors and legal action and send people out, demanding to be let in to their homes to anyone who doesn't pay for a licence, including those who legally don't need one. It's amazing it's allowed to go on in todays age, it is effectively state sponsored intimidation,with a presumsion of guilt. 

Totally agree 

34 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Correct.  It's the act of watching live TV that requires a licence, not ownership of a device which can.  TVL even say so on their own website

Slightly misleading, because in practice if the TV is in a condition to receive live broadcasts they will use this as evidence  for a prosecution. Sadly, over-worked magistrates tend tend to accept such evidence as being compelling. Prosecutors simply say: "If you didn't intend to use the equipment, why was it plugged in to the antenna?" The key bit of the primary legislation (Communications Act 2003) states: 

(3)A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—

(a)intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or

(b)knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,

is guilty of an offence.

15 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Slightly misleading, because in practice if the TV is in a condition to receive live broadcasts they will use this as evidence  for a prosecution

But how could they have gathered such evidence in the first place?  They only way they can enter your property is if you let them in, or if they have a warrant from a magistrate.  In the former case, they invariably seal the deal by coercing you to sign a form, in effect a statement convicting yourself.

If it makes you feel better, don't connect it to your aerial.  Not the only means of getting a signal into your TV in these days of IP TV anyway.

If you want to be 100% above board, sign the declaration on the TVL website saying you don't need a licence.

Just don't expect to be left alone as a result.  Effectively, TVL has a policy of not believing you*, so will invite themselves round to investigate.  Whereupon you close the door on them and they go away.

I choose the other option, i.e. no communication with them, and once a fortnight get an angry letter, 'to the householder'.  An inspector did call once, apparently, when I was in (I've been working from home since before Corona), but failed to push the bell button, so I wasn't even aware he was there.

*How sustainable this is I don't know, given we have well and truly entered the era of mass TV licence cancellations.