Guns on pegs video

howzat

27 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

What is an "ant pigeon"? It's not a species that I'm familiar with.  Do enlighten Forum members and maybe add some photos for clarity. Little wonder that shooting days are so expensive with such an unusual quarry.   

I stand corrected by a simple typing error and bow down to your superiority of the English language.

Edited by B725

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, B725 said:

I stand corrected by a simple typing error and bow down to your superiority of the English language.

There's nothing special about my standard of English and I respect your humility. I appreciate that we all make mistakes but eliminate as many as possible by simply reading through your post before posting.  And this is not directly aimed at you: instead of railing against my posts with insults and "smart" ripostes just feel free to disagree with a measured, constructive response. 

This is why Wild Justice high light this type of (entertainment)shooting. Farmers ask for pigeons to be shot and called them some choice names, but never have called them blue or grey grouse. Most farmers are more concerned about the general licence. These firms sell game shooting and when that ends they sell pigeon shooting. I’ve shot pigeons for a long time and never had pigeons sitting on a fence waiting for February to come round. 

Some time ago I spoke to a gamekeeper about these "pigeon drives". From what he told me it's an additional cash cow for whomever owns/runs the shoot. Clearly, there is no guarantee that there will be any birds, unlike a gameshoot.  It would be interesting to know if they actually sell any of these days. And what would be the etiquette required for these pigeon shoots? Would it be plus fours, Barbour jacket, flat cap, tumblers of malt etc or army fatigues, paper cups and beer? I presume a decent tip at the end of the pigeon shoot would be de rigueur.  On the same tack, I have heard that some farmers sell pigeon shooting permissions on their land on an annual basis - not a bad idea, crop protection and payment combined.

12 hours ago, mellors said:

Suppose it would save a lot of time and effort driving round looking for them. 

I would think that driving around looking for them would be part of the "experience". Before all of that you would need an extensive briefing on the cartridges to use, how to load a shotgun etc. Then tea and biscuits before being led to a hide. Another idea would be for the organisers to insist that you only use their very own bespoke pigeon cartridges at a special price of course. Maybe a 10% discount could be arranged for Forum members! 

Hi the general licence is a draft copy it’s not completed yet. When the license becomes law and is made public in a few weeks lm sure BASC will publish a guide to using the general licenses. As for what to take with you on a pigeon drive maybe a good lawyer. I can’t understand how people can pay to shoot protected birds. When paying or making money by killing birds that are protected by law l would be very careful .

Although its a win, win for the farmer and guide, I have never liked the idea of paying for pigeon shooting, the figures mentioned on guns on pegs will only be more ammo for Avery/Packham and WJ, I can see them calling for a bag limit on wild birds before long and I think that if they play the media correctly they may just get it.

Hi wildflowers have bag limits for wild birds as on the wildlife and countryside act . Woodpigeon are protected wild birds. Wild Justice are against shooting protected wild birds for sport and entertainment. Wild Justice understand crop protection and sporting shooting, it’s not difficult to see the difference. This is why the licence was withdrawn . I’ve nothing against game shooting but I was surprised when I saw the number of game birds released each year. The pest or vermin as it has been called has been protected for a long time and maybe paying to kill it should have been on the general licence. I think complacency has a lot to do with the attitude to pigeon shooting. I don’t think it’s about the farmer and the guide, it’s about money.

Ant this come up before? Surely this is just another advertising scam to promo GOPs and his dove shooting hols abroad!? Bit odd to claim can guarantee pigeons or weather conditions. Any one heard of him or used his services? . . .  . . If you follow WJs campaign to shut us down (that is their agenda) you will see from what they and there regular contributors still say and write even after there continual attacks on GLs and game shooting they still have very limited/blinkered knowledge or understanding of shooting/pest control, pigeons corvids, keepering, game birds and the shooting of. Some of their boffins/scientists saying shooting has NO affect on wood pigeon numbers! And. To have any effect on reducing pigeon numbers we would have to shoot 80% of adults "between breeding seasons". . . , "Shooting corvids has no affect on song bird numbers"! But also! Will have NO effect on corvid numbers either because "we don't shoot enough of them". Only foxes predate grey/ENGLISH partridges. . . . .  If So! Why they keep attacking the GLs then? Or bought the action at all if they really knew what they were talking about? . . . . They even talk of putting "pheasants" on GL so they could keep numbers down where they a problem in gardens etc. One saying he has so many birds coming over a mile to his garden he has to dispatch 200 a year to keep on top of them and would be !000 if he had time. This is the  kind of bizarre info and misinformation they say they can use going into consultations on GLs and gamebird releases. Crazy! Worring if it's believed! I hope our orgs read and pickup on some of this on there media?  . . . . .  . . .Surprised no one has mentioned Scottish Gov voted to bring in licencing of grouse moors and muir burn yesterday?  Complacency in the shooting community Gas Seal? Surely not!        NB

The general license was withdrawn, consulted and rewritten, and business still advertise and supply sporting shooting of protected birds. Sorry if complacency is the wrong word. The license isn’t completed yet. When it is we would be better waiting to see the BASC guide for the general license use. I don’t expect the shooting organisations to comment until the general licence is completed . As for Wild Justice people reading the comments on websites anyone can read them. After a lifetime of shooting and supporting shooting ,this business of sporting shooting of pigeons l can’t support . 

7 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

The general license was withdrawn, consulted and rewritten, and business still advertise and supply sporting shooting of protected birds. Sorry if complacency is the wrong word. The license isn’t completed yet. When it is we would be better waiting to see the BASC guide for the general license use. I don’t expect the shooting organisations to comment until the general licence is completed . As for Wild Justice people reading the comments on websites anyone can read them. After a lifetime of shooting and supporting shooting ,this business of sporting shooting of pigeons l can’t support . 

Complacency in shooting industry comment meant with tong firmly in cheek Gas Seal.😉  . . . . I think new GLs prob be as is. Not great but we can work with them. WJ will prob try to get jay off. . . .I meant i hope our orgs pick them up on some of what they are saying going into consultation. If WJ and co and there followers do study shooting and our org sites (and i hope they do, i study them.) it hasn't improved there knowledge of shooting, pest control or any of the species they claim to care about or want to stop being released. Or maybe it's because there agenda is driven by emotion of there funders and wilful ignorance. We all know it's got little to do with conservation! I think folk that once supported them and the public see that now to. . . . . . .They claiming the licencing of grouse moors as a victory. More regulation and red tape maybe. But! If it works it will mean they will NOT get the all out ban on DGS the three of them have been calling for!       NB

His advert is interesting, albeit he could do with some punctuation (always amazes me the poor standard of English on some adverts on Gunsonpegs when they are selling days costing up to £2000). There appear to be some good reviews too.

I wonder why his retainer (£250) is so high. If it was more reasonable, say £50 and then £2.50 per bird, it would definitely be appealing to those who don't have land or just fancy a change of scenery. But as it is this is clearly aimed at foreign guns... however, it doesn't actually read correctly: "plus £2.50 per shot fired up to a max of 300 shots - this means the day can not cost you more than £1000 per gun per day and you only pay for what you shoot..." . It looks like you are paying per shot fired, not what you shoot as he states.... two different things.

2 hours ago, Mightymariner said:

His advert is interesting, albeit he could do with some punctuation (always amazes me the poor standard of English on some adverts on Gunsonpegs when they are selling days costing up to £2000). There appear to be some good reviews too.

I wonder why his retainer (£250) is so high. If it was more reasonable, say £50 and then £2.50 per bird, it would definitely be appealing to those who don't have land or just fancy a change of scenery. But as it is this is clearly aimed at foreign guns... however, it doesn't actually read correctly: "plus £2.50 per shot fired up to a max of 300 shots - this means the day can not cost you more than £1000 per gun per day and you only pay for what you shoot..." . It looks like you are paying per shot fired, not what you shoot as he states.... two different things.

I couldn't make sense of Mr Pigeon's, aka Gerwyn Jones, charging structure either.  As for the reviews mmmm....... It would also appear that Mr Pigeon's days are all sold out, so little point in advertising sold out days . If there are idiots willing to pay £1000 a day wouldn't they be better off buying a day's pheasant shoot with guaranteed birds? There's no doubt that the Welsh boyo is a good shot but the whole concept of his pigeon drives is somehow gross. 

32 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I couldn't make sense of Mr Pigeon's, aka Gerwyn Jones, charging structure either.  As for the reviews mmmm....... It would also appear that Mr Pigeon's days are all sold out, so little point in advertising sold out days . If there are idiots willing to pay £1000 a day wouldn't they be better off buying a day's pheasant shoot with guaranteed birds? There's no doubt that the Welsh boyo is a good shot but the whole concept of his pigeon drives is somehow gross. 

Well I didn’t realise Gerwyn Jones was ‘mr pigeon’......I thought he was shooting with ‘mr pigeon’ in a video he did with one of the shooting channels, at least that’s how it comes across when watching! 
Seemed a crazy cash cow price to me, aimed at those with more money than sense (clearly plenty of those).
He seems to spend all his time shooting actually, on all the top estates etc at both pigeons and pheasants so can’t be short of money in the first place.....not sure what he does for a loving but didn’t think he was a pigeon guide! 

3 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Well I didn’t realise Gerwyn Jones was ‘mr pigeon’......I thought he was shooting with ‘mr pigeon’ in a video he did with one of the shooting channels, at least that’s how it comes across when watching! 
Seemed a crazy cash cow price to me, aimed at those with more money than sense (clearly plenty of those).
He seems to spend all his time shooting actually, on all the top estates etc at both pigeons and pheasants so can’t be short of money in the first place.....not sure what he does for a loving but didn’t think he was a pigeon guide! 

Apologies, you're absolutely right. Gerwyn Jones shooting alongside Mr Pigeon. Doubtless, MrJones helping Mr Pigeon with crop protection duties, hopefully F.O.C. Very magnanimous of Mr Jones to help out and most kind of Mr P to invite Mr J along.