Guns on pegs video

howzat

The prime pigeon season is summer really. At the minute there is an abundance of natural food about. OSR maybe once the last of the bumper acorn crop is gone. 

I shoot pigeons during the summer as my land is mainly pasture with some arable for fodder. Occasionally get a good day on brassicas if there is a hard frost. The only reconnaissance I do outside of summer is being on other shoots. I rough shoot, driven shoot, wild fowl, lamp etc ... The seasons take you to different parts of the country or landscape on search of different game. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

The prime pigeon season is summer really. At the minute there is an abundance of natural food about. OSR maybe once the last of the bumper acorn crop is gone. 

I shoot pigeons during the summer as my land is mainly pasture with some arable for fodder. Occasionally get a good day on brassicas if there is a hard frost. The only reconnaissance I do outside of summer is being on other shoots. I rough shoot, driven shoot, wild fowl, lamp etc ... The seasons take you to different parts of the country or landscape on search of different game. 

Enjoyed your post. Clearly, you have a much wider range of shooting activities than me so you can chop and change which is great. The wild fowling appeals to me as for some reason (geese excepted) they seem irritatingly stupid and fit for eating only. It's that I never had the opportunity.  I used to rough shoot but with the demise in the rabbit population, hares much too pretty to shoot and pheasants not much of a challenge when bursting out from under your feet, I don't bother anymore. That's why I like the challenge of pigeon and corvid shooting and from my perspective a more testing quarry which is just as well as my permissions are based on crop protection. From my point of view I have many interests outside of shooting so my eggs aren't all in one basket but if I think that there are any pigeons about, I'll be out there to give them a warm welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2020 at 01:06, Balotelli said:

From his videos Gerwyn appears to be an excellent shot consequently probably converts most shots to kills. You may be aware from the Post Exaggerated Bags that I take some of these mega bags with a large pinch of salt. 20,000 pigeons a year equates to approx 400 a week, not far off a 100 per day. If, he has a migraine one day or goes to the opticians for an eye check-up that would push the daily average even higher. A couple of years of that rate of shooting would pretty well clear that area and he will need to bring in breeding pairs to re-stock. Maybe we both need to move to more fruitful areas although I guess that house prices will be inflated owing to the demand created by pigeon shooters.

The gentleman in question (Mr Poolman) shot a bag (with a friend) of almost 1000 in a day. It was all recorded, too.

The bloke regularly shoots bags of 300+ and has shot 500+ on several occasions. 

It really annoys me that some people won't accept other people's success.

Edited by motty

8 hours ago, motty said:

The gentleman in question (Mr Poolman) shot a bag (with a friend) of almost 1000 in a day. It was all recorded, too.

The bloke regularly shoots bags of 300+ and has shot 500+ on several occasions. 

It really annoys me that some people won't accept other people's success.

Good luck to the guy. But the arithmetic is mind boggling. Over 8 hours of shooting, 500 birds, equates to roughly a bird per minute. No slack periods, no tidying up, no sustenance, constant re-loading and no misses. Wow, some stamina to keep that up. That takes a very special and extremely fit person to manage that. If I were lucky enough to get to a hundred (and I never have) I'd consider it a red letter day. Seeing is believing and if you have witnessed these mega bags then all well and good. 

2 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Good luck to the guy. But the arithmetic is mind boggling. Over 8 hours of shooting, 500 birds, equates to roughly a bird per minute. No slack periods, no tidying up, no sustenance, constant re-loading and no misses. Wow, some stamina to keep that up. That takes a very special and extremely fit person to manage that. If I were lucky enough to get to a hundred (and I never have) I'd consider it a red letter day. Seeing is believing and if you have witnessed these mega bags then all well and good. 

never seen the appeal in large bags even when shooting them myself in the past think piling them up in the hide takes something away from the day 

13 hours ago, Balotelli said:

During my life I have seen a few occasions where the birds are almost suicidal and in an almost never ending stream of birds, this as been mainly on stubble fields of either rape, wheat or barley, decoying in these situations its very possible for two guns to hit four figures.

On 11/12/2020 at 21:45, Balotelli said:

Your incredulity shines through.

I personally have never managed to shoot 500 in a session, but I know it is completely possible. I have shot bags of 100+ on well over 100 occasions, with my biggest being just short of 400.

Big bags may not be for everyone, but when I am out I generally prefer to have warm barrels.

On 11/12/2020 at 21:45, Balotelli said:

Buy Chris Greens video about it and see for yourself how 1000 pigeon had been shot in a day. 

10 hours ago, B725 said:

Buy Chris Greens video about it and see for yourself how 1000 pigeon had been shot in a day. 

10 hours ago, B725 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see that and even better to see it in the flesh. Depends on how many guns and over how many days

Mr Balotelli. Watch the first portion of this video. It was taken from my biggest bag day of 391. You can see that there are plenty of pigeons to go at. We were regularly shooting, but it would be easy to shoot more if the birds cooperate. 

15 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Yeah, I'd like to see that and even better to see it in the flesh. Depends on how many guns and over how many days

Two guns same field in one day the pics were posted on on another site few years ago I seen the pics and read the report  Chris Green filmed the day 

7 hours ago, motty said:

Mr Balotelli. Watch the first portion of this video. It was taken from my biggest bag day of 391. You can see that there are plenty of pigeons to go at. We were regularly shooting, but it would be easy to shoot more if the birds cooperate. 

No shortage of birds coming into the magnets and some fine shooting between the two of you .

When you go back to Archies Coats day when the magnet wasn't even invented it just go to show what a remarkable achievement it was when he got the record at the time of 550 , where you two could have had , or did have a long day on the stubble , he shot his bag by himself in the Winter on a crop field after running out of shells and leaving the field to get some more at the estate office , records are there to be broken but when you look at how the Major got his record at the time it would still take some beating in the time he done it without and mechanical aids .

Hi the shooting of large numbers of pigeons, and other birds, right or wrong has been around for years. It can become an obsession to shoot more than the last best day. I used a magnet once when they (came out ) years ago, I used one a couple of years ago to stop pigeons landing in the tree at the bottom of a field. It’s interesting to see the decoys and magnets used and carrying dead birds back to the field for decoys .I’ve used the same type of decoys since we learned how in the winter of 62/63 . Depending on the crop 20 to 50 will have pigeons or other birds landing next to them all day. When meeting other shooters anywhere the first thing they will ask is (how many have you shot) some things never change. If you’re were the pigeons are feeding you shouldn’t need all the equipment to draw pigeons close enough to shoot. Years ago l would shoot pigeons out of the sky for 8 or 10 hours and think nothing of it. It takes a lot of concentration to shoot all day and up and down to shoot. I’ve never seen anyone else use the decoys I use. I wonder if any pigeon shooters know what they are.

11 hours ago, motty said:

Thanks for posting Motty! Never seen anything like it. What an awesome video 👌🏻

12 hours ago, Gas seal said:

I’ve never seen anyone else use the decoys I use. I wonder if any pigeon shooters know what they are.

Put up a picture or we'll never know😁

21 hours ago, motty said:

Out of all the vids I've seen i really enjoyed that. Never seen them come in like that. Just shooting  no BS and excuses.

I can only dream of a day like that, let alone film it.

10 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Thanks for posting Motty! Never seen anything like it. What an awesome video 👌🏻

Glad you liked it! I only posted it to show a certain someone that it is possible to shoot good numbers of birds in a short space of time. I really should have recorded more that day.

25 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Put up a picture or we'll never know😁

Out of all the vids I've seen i really enjoyed that. Never seen them come in like that. Just shooting  no BS and excuses.

I can only dream of a day like that, let alone film it.

Thanks!

It was really enjoyable shooting. We shot over 800 in total in 3 sessions over 3 weekends on that field. I really didn't do it justice with the filming, though.

Feel free to check out any of my other videos on YouTube. 😄

A quite remarkable video and from 2016. I've never seen birds coming in like it, in those numbers and frequency. I was talking to a farmer a couple of weeks ago and he said that in the past, he and a friend would easily shoot 50 or so in a wood on a Saturday and not uncommon to shoot a number with one shot. He is not seeing those numbers any longer. I'm starting to wonder if there are just not the numbers about anymore with the pigeon population in decline. Some of you guys may have seen the best of it.  It will be interesting to log the numbers shot in 2021.

15 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

A quite remarkable video and from 2016. I've never seen birds coming in like it, in those numbers and frequency. I was talking to a farmer a couple of weeks ago and he said that in the past, he and a friend would easily shoot 50 or so in a wood on a Saturday and not uncommon to shoot a number with one shot. He is not seeing those numbers any longer. I'm starting to wonder if there are just not the numbers about anymore with the pigeon population in decline. Some of you guys may have seen the best of it.  It will be interesting to log the numbers shot in 2021.

They are not on the decline at all if anything they are on the increase I don't now where you get your information from I really don't 

27 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

a few weeks ago there were literary thousands of pigeons in a very big area of woodland, I flighted these pigeons a few times and did ok…..but now there is but a handful of birds in the same woods, if you did not know you would think pigeons were a rare bird, this time of year pigeons move about in big numbers, here today gone tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

With what I have seen this year/recently, pigeons certainly aren't in decline.

I get yearly totals of between 2000 and 4000 birds. This year has been no different. 

27 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

They are not on the decline at all if anything they are on the increase I don't now where you get your information from I really don't 

Well, from the gist of reports on here there doesn't seem to have been a great deal shot this year. If your experience is to the contrary then I'm very pleased for you.