Jump to content

Guns on pegs video


Recommended Posts

Hi that sums it up , publicly stunt, but for who. The business men in the movies shown must know more about the (grey area) of pigeon shooting than myself. I have enquired about the (grey area) for many years and its still the same shade. My friend kept any literature that contained (grey area) . The law is black and white not grey. I hope lawyers on both sides of the fence can decide if the movie is black or white.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Topgun113 said:

Met this chap at the game dealers! Reckons he gets 45/50 clients A year! And he says he's got a huge waiting list and gives the farmer 1/4 of the days money! MADNESS 

There will always be people with money to burn, who get bored with blasting away at endless pheasants on all the big numbers days they do and fancy doing the same on pigeons without all the hard work/time that goes with pigeon shooting like the majority of us have! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilts#Dave said:

There will always be people with money to burn, who get bored with blasting away at endless pheasants on all the big numbers days they do and fancy doing the same on pigeons without all the hard work/time that goes with pigeon shooting like the majority of us have! 

"Blasting away" at no pigeons doesn't sound like great value. Pheasant drives are predictable pigeons aren't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Balotelli said:

"Blasting away" at no pigeons doesn't sound like great value. Pheasant drives are predictable pigeons aren't. 

How do you know there are ‘no’ pigeons? He’s in a prime area where big numbers are shot at the time of year he’ll have guns out.....obviously you can’t arrange the days as you do with pheasants but some people in the right area with access to the right ground could put you under good numbers of pigeons on the right days no trouble at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

How do you know there are ‘no’ pigeons? He’s in a prime area where big numbers are shot at the time of year he’ll have guns out.....obviously you can’t arrange the days as you do with pheasants but some people in the right area with access to the right ground could put you under good numbers of pigeons on the right days no trouble at all. 

Good job that Mr Pigeon doesn't operate in Leicestershire. Unless he's some sort of Pied Piper he would most likely have some pretty poor days. According to your post, he's very fortunate that he operates in an area which is riddled with pigeons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Good job that Mr Pigeon doesn't operate in Leicestershire. Unless he's some sort of Pied Piper he would most likely have some pretty poor days. According to your post, he's very fortunate that he operates in an area which is riddled with pigeons.

It’s a good job he’s not operating in my area too, but have a look at the sort of numbers Gerwyn shoots himself for starters.... that should tell you something. Anthony Poolman shoots 20,000 plus a year for a start, just because you struggle doesn’t mean there aren’t large numbers of pigeons in parts of the country! 
I’m equally as envious, you can only make the best of what you’ve got to go at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame on the shooting show for promoting it. 

 

All of the British shooting channels seem to be full of toffs with posh accents and too much money, promoting thinks that are far out of touch from the general public. 
 

 

Whilst Dave Carrie has obviously got a few quid (to say the least) I think he is a lot more relatable to the average man. They should be making videos with his sort on and advertising to the general public on media platforms. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

It’s a good job he’s not operating in my area too, but have a look at the sort of numbers Gerwyn shoots himself for starters.... that should tell you something. Anthony Poolman shoots 20,000 plus a year for a start, just because you struggle doesn’t mean there aren’t large numbers of pigeons in parts of the country! 
I’m equally as envious, you can only make the best of what you’ve got to go at. 

From his videos Gerwyn appears to be an excellent shot consequently probably converts most shots to kills. You may be aware from the Post Exaggerated Bags that I take some of these mega bags with a large pinch of salt. 20,000 pigeons a year equates to approx 400 a week, not far off a 100 per day. If, he has a migraine one day or goes to the opticians for an eye check-up that would push the daily average even higher. A couple of years of that rate of shooting would pretty well clear that area and he will need to bring in breeding pairs to re-stock. Maybe we both need to move to more fruitful areas although I guess that house prices will be inflated owing to the demand created by pigeon shooters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Balotelli said:

From his videos Gerwyn appears to be an excellent shot consequently probably converts most shots to kills. You may be aware from the Post Exaggerated Bags that I take some of these mega bags with a large pinch of salt. 20,000 pigeons a year equates to approx 400 a week, not far off a 100 per day. If, he has a migraine one day or goes to the opticians for an eye check-up that would push the daily average even higher. A couple of years of that rate of shooting would pretty well clear that area and he will need to bring in breeding pairs to re-stock. Maybe we both need to move to more fruitful areas although I guess that house prices will be inflated owing to the demand created by pigeon shooters.

Did you include in your calculations that he’s shooting thousands a day in Africa/ South America 

although probably not this year 

are you thinking of moving to a more prolific pigeon area 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Did you include in your calculations that he’s shooting thousands a day in Africa/ South America 

although probably not this year 

are you thinking of moving to a more prolific pigeon area 

Well put and on the second point and in all seriousness, possibly. I know that some of the good friends that I have made on the Forum would put in a good word in helping me find permissions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Shame on the shooting show for promoting it. 

 

All of the British shooting channels seem to be full of toffs with posh accents and too much money, promoting thinks that are far out of touch from the general public. 

 

 

definitely the wrong face to show joe public and annoying you have to sift out this sort of rubbish on u tube to find grass roots boys videos the ones we should be promoting 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Shame on the shooting show for promoting it. 

 

All of the British shooting channels seem to be full of toffs with posh accents and too much money, promoting thinks that are far out of touch from the general public. 
 

 

Whilst Dave Carrie has obviously got a few quid (to say the least) I think he is a lot more relatable to the average man. They should be making videos with his sort on and advertising to the general public on media platforms. 
 

 

Agree. If you look at some of the shooting content online (Shooting Show, Fieldsports TV, BASC social media) far too much of promotes exactly the sort of image that the general public has in mind when it comes to shooting. BASC is trying to be more diverse but far too often they fall back on their standard (white middle aged male, checked shirt, gilet) - it makes me cringe so I can only image that it reinforces the public perception of shooting.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clangerman said:

definitely the wrong face to show joe public and annoying you have to sift out this sort of rubbish on u tube to find grass roots boys videos the ones we should be promoting 

Rough shooting Ireland is a good watch 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have to question the "toff" thing. My only beating foray meant that I mixed with both the "guns" and the beaters. I found that the "toffs" that I met were a pleasant and generous bunch sharing their vittles. On the reverse side of the coin some of the beaters were bordering on the unpleasant. I wouldn't judge someone either by their accent or style of dress. Possibly the "toffs" have done alright and have no reason to be angry with the World. Something to think about.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I might have to question the "toff" thing. My only beating foray meant that I mixed with both the "guns" and the beaters. I found that the "toffs" that I met were a pleasant and generous bunch sharing their vittles. On the reverse side of the coin some of the beaters were bordering on the unpleasant. I wouldn't judge someone either by their accent or style of dress. Possibly the "toffs" have done alright and have no reason to be angry with the World. Something to think about.   

There may be a different slant on your experience out beating.

The Guns were condescending towards you as they could see that you were out of place and the beaters could also see that you were out of place and treated you accordingly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I upset one picker-up as I turned up for a small a shoot day with both my dogs in the boot. The keeper had seen them work before and was happy to have them working. When a picker up turned up late and got out of his vehicle the keeper shouted over to him:

”Arigght Foxy?”

”Yeah” came the response  

“Well you can *#%^ off home now as we’ve got enough dogs and don’t need your mutt running about”.  

He turned round, got in his car and went.

Everyone (other than me and Foxy) seemed to think it was hysterical, but it cost the bloke his day’s wage in a generally low paid rural economy. We saw him afterwards in the pub and I offered to recoup his loss but he was very polite and sternly refused any offer other than a pint (a mountain of a man I wasn’t going to disagree with). 

When you are a hobbyist dropping into a well organised beating line you can easily upset the apple cart unintentionally. Do not take it personally, just keep your head down and plough on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JDog said:

There may be a different slant on your experience out beating.

The Guns were condescending towards you as they could see that you were out of place and the beaters could also see that you were out of place and treated you accordingly. 

Being "out of place" on both counts doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I bow to your superior judgement as you clearly have more experience on these matters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Being "out of place" on both counts doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I bow to your superior judgement as you clearly have more experience on these matters. 

it’s called shoot politics one of the beaters will explain it to you try not to laugh 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

it’s called shoot politics one of the beaters will explain it to you try not to laugh 

I suspect that it dates back to Feudal times. It seems that we are still immersed in that system to some degree. I would have thought that education and new money would have put paid to much of that. Somehow, I very much doubt that I'll run into a beater again to be "Educated" into shoot politics. I'd had and seen enough on my sole beating session. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Somehow, I very much doubt that I'll run into a beater again to be "Educated" into shoot politics. I'd had and seen enough on my sole beating session. 

I don’t intend for this to sound flippant, but is there any aspect of fieldsports you enjoy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I don’t intend for this to sound flippant, but is there any aspect of fieldsports you enjoy? 

No, I don't think your question is the least bit flippant. I really like pigeon shooting. But I haven't the patience for blank days - I see them as boring and a waste of time. So I try to "target" my forays when there is a real possibility of shooting pigeons. I'm happy to do the reconnaissance but if there are no pigeons then just move on and wait for better times. It's no good wishing the pigeons to be present. What I really do enjoy are the technical aspects and constantly come up with new takes on decoying kit, hides and generally new ideas. You might have struck a chord, I get a buzz out of trying out my new ideas to see if they work in the field - the problem is at the moment there is nothing much to practise on. I've never been on a pheasant shoot, stag hunt, shooting foxes, hare coursing etc.  Pheasant shooting looks ok but I doubt that I could get hooked on it but who knows. In my mind, the analogy with driven bird shooting and pigeon shooting is comparable to fishing for trout in a stocked lake and fishing in a river for wild fish. In their own way, both can be enjoyable. With pigeon shooting you can see there is nothing in the "swim",  pack up and go home. If you include fishing in the context of fieldsports, love it.  What is important is that no one should be a one trick pony. If something is not happening then switch to whichever is the most productive at the time. But I digress from your original question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Balotelli said:

No, I don't think your question is the least bit flippant. I really like pigeon shooting. But I haven't the patience for blank days - I see them as boring and a waste of time. So I try to "target" my forays when there is a real possibility of shooting pigeons. I'm happy to do the reconnaissance but if there are no pigeons then just move on and wait for better times. It's no good wishing the pigeons to be present. What I really do enjoy are the technical aspects and constantly come up with new takes on decoying kit, hides and generally new ideas. You might have struck a chord, I get a buzz out of trying out my new ideas to see if they work in the field - the problem is at the moment there is nothing much to practise on. I've never been on a pheasant shoot, stag hunt, shooting foxes, hare coursing etc.  Pheasant shooting looks ok but I doubt that I could get hooked on it but who knows. In my mind, the analogy with driven bird shooting and pigeon shooting is comparable to fishing for trout in a stocked lake and fishing in a river for wild fish. In their own way, both can be enjoyable. With pigeon shooting you can see there is nothing in the "swim",  pack up and go home. If you include fishing in the context of fieldsports, love it.  What is important is that no one should be a one trick pony. If something is not happening then switch to whichever is the most productive at the time. But I digress from your original question.

Whilst I can appreciate that none of us would wish to continually have blank days pigeon shooting, but on the occasions of very little or no shooting, surely there are other things out in the countryside of great interest. Are you not interested in nature ? I don’t know how many blank days that you have experienced to find them ‘boring’ or a ‘waste of time’, but I do think that you are probably missing missing out on a lot in not observing the nature around you whilst out. 
May I ask what the % of blank days that you have had against where you have returned with some pigeons. Also, roughly how often do you go out, say in a month ?
OB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Whilst I can appreciate that none of us would wish to continually have blank days pigeon shooting, but on the occasions of very little or no shooting, surely there are other things out in the countryside of great interest. Are you not interested in nature ? I don’t know how many blank days that you have experienced to find them ‘boring’ or a ‘waste of time’, but I do think that you are probably missing missing out on a lot in not observing the nature around you whilst out. 
May I ask what the % of blank days that you have had against where you have returned with some pigeons. Also, roughly how often do you go out, say in a month ?
OB

I consider any blank day a waste  - I like to see something for my time. If it looks like a blank day I won't bother to set up. As for nature there's nothing much out there to surprise me. For example, I went roost shooting today. On approaching the wood there were pigeons milling around over the trees, way out of range. I sat and wandered around the wood for an hour or so and fired not a single shot. The cloud of pigeons never settled and just hopped it. I saw a woodpecker, a hen pheasant, a hare and some rat runs. None of this is terribly exciting. I won't bother "shooting" this wood again as I'm convinced that it will never be any good, the trees being too tall and bare. It's the same with the fields, if there's nothing on them then go home and have a cappuccino. To answer your question on sorties I probably go out a couple of times a week. Unless there is some change in pattern, weather, new drillings etc. I can see little point in "flogging a dead horse". This is my personal experience in Leicestershire over the last few months. No doubt someone will pipe up that they are regularly shooting decent bags - if so, I just don't believe them. Or if they are, not in Leicestershire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Zapp locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...