Internet Speed

steve_b_wales

The internet speed in my home has always been on the slow side. I'm with SKY. I tried their superfast broadband but no good. They said that it was fast from them to the exchange, but slow from there to me. All of a sudden though, it's gone worse for some reason. For instance, if I log onto Facebook after coming off here, it takes on average 10 seconds for the page to show, and then a further 20 seconds or more before I can actually click onto there.

I did two internet speed tests earlier and they showed.

1: Download 0.49 mbps / Upload 0.31 mbps

2: Download 0.31 mbps / Upload 0.29 mbps.

I'm not sure if it's my old computer (7 years at least) that's part of the problem? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to take into account (if you have a home phone) don’t put the internet router near it as it will cause issues. 
 May also be worth switching the router off and unplugging for five mins or so and then reconnect to power and boot up. 

1 minute ago, Spr1985 said:

Another thing to take into account (if you have a home phone) don’t put the internet router near it as it will cause issues. 
 May also be worth switching the router off and unplugging for five mins or so and then reconnect to power and boot up. 

My router (in the hallway) is actually situated under my home phone. There's nowhere else I can put it.

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

My router (in the hallway) is actually situated under my home phone. There's nowhere else I can put it.

Is it a wireless phone? If so they will be competing for the same bandwidth and ruining your signal, even more so if it’s old wiring/ incorrectly shielded.

As you have nowhere else to put it I’d suggest using the length of the cable to create as much separation as possible between the two.  And try the power down (including unplugging) and power back up and see if it helps. 

With those speeds I would be on the phone to sky complaining, they should then schedule a BT engineer to come and look at the line between the BT cabinet and your house.

What speed do you pay for? Have you tried testing the speed with a phone or laptop over wifi? and have you directly plugged your PC into the router using an ethernet cable?

This is a useful site about broadband speed: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-your-broadband-speed

Edited by Kovitch

13 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

Is it a wireless phone? If so they will be competing for the same bandwidth and ruining your signal, even more so if it’s old wiring/ incorrectly shielded.

As you have nowhere else to put it I’d suggest using the length of the cable to create as much separation as possible between the two.  And try the power down (including unplugging) and power back up and see if it helps. 

It's a cordless phone, with the base on a small shelf in the hallway. I'll unplug the phone tomorrow and see if the internet speed improves. Another problem I have is that my desktop computer is in the lounge and the phone socket in the hallway. I have an ethernet cable plugged into a Netgear device, plugged into an electrical point by the computer, and the other Netgear device, plugged into an electrical point in the hallway, with an ethernet cable going from that, into the router. Not ideal of course.

Edited by steve_b_wales

It's a cordless phone, with the base on small shelf in the hallway.

That will definitely be causing part of the problem, I don’t think it would cause it to the extent of such a low speed but certainly worth trying to separate the two as much as possible. 

I would also heed the advice of @Kovitch and get onto your isp and make a complaint and then an engineer will likely be round to do some checks/ tests and hopefully get the issue resolved for you. 

1 minute ago, Spr1985 said:

That will definitely be causing part of the problem, I don’t think it would cause it to the extent of such a low speed but certainly worth trying to separate the two as much as possible. 

I would also heed the advice of @Kovitch and get onto your isp and make a complaint and then an engineer will likely be round to do some checks/ tests and hopefully get the issue resolved for you. 

:good:

12 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I have an ethernet cable plugged into a Netgear device, plugged into an electrical point by the computer, and the other Netgear device, plugged into an electrical point in the hallway, with an ethernet cable going from that, into the router. Not ideal of course.

Get yourself a long ethernet cable and try plugging directly into it. My son was complaining about speed on his PC - he was trying to download a youtubers raw video to edit it and it kept on bombing out after a few hours. He was connected via a powerline adapter - in the end I ran a cable directly to his room - boom - working sweat as anything and video downloaded in 15 minutes. I will get round to running a cable through the attic and down on his telephone port. So the problem was the powerline adapter but the one to the other lads room is absolutely fine!!

As said above - try the kookla speed test app on your phone - you may find you get totally different speeds

6 minutes ago, discobob said:

Get yourself a long ethernet cable and try plugging directly into it. My son was complaining about speed on his PC - he was trying to download a youtubers raw video to edit it and it kept on bombing out after a few hours. He was connected via a powerline adapter - in the end I ran a cable directly to his room - boom - working sweat as anything and video downloaded in 15 minutes. I will get round to running a cable through the attic and down on his telephone port. So the problem was the powerline adapter but the one to the other lads room is absolutely fine!!

As said above - try the kookla speed test app on your phone - you may find you get totally different speeds

I could try getting a long ethernet cable, as suggested, but it would be more or less impossible to route it from A to B though. 

I could try getting a long ethernet cable, as suggested, but it would be more or less impossible to route it from A to B though. 

it would only be for a test buddy - it can be a nightmare but if you get better speeds you know the problem is with the powerline adapters and you could try some other ones. You can get 10mtr for a few quid off Amazon

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Just did an Ookla test speed twice using my smartphone and it's showing a download speed of 17.80 and 17.82!

51 minutes ago, discobob said:

it would only be for a test buddy - it can be a nightmare but if you get better speeds you know the problem is with the powerline adapters and you could try some other ones. You can get 10mtr for a few quid off Amazon

I'll give it a go. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

I’d not realised you was using a power line adapter 🤦‍♂️. They normally have a tiny reset button on them which is useful if the unplugging and re plugging as suggested above doesn’t work. I use the net gear ones and they tend to need rebooting every few months 

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Just did an Oolka test speed twice using my smartphone and it's showing a download speed of 17.80 and 17.82!

I'll give it a go. 

Steve the test you said , using your mobile  phone , is that not the mobile  servers  signal strength  and the speed it is recieve I.e Vodafone or other mobile provider  . And not your home broadband .

28 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Steve the test you said , using your mobile  phone , is that not the mobile  servers  signal strength  and the speed it is recieve I.e Vodafone or other mobile provider  . And not your home broadband .

Of course! I've with Vodafone.:mellow:

28 minutes ago, discobob said:

Good point John - you was connected to wifi on your phone and not 4g @steve_b_wales???

Yes, I'm with Vodafone.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, I'm with Vodafone.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, I'm with Vodafone.

Is your phone connected to your wifi though? If not then the speed quoted is the speed of your Vodafone connection and not your broadband.