Internet Speed

steve_b_wales

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/11/2020 at 09:11, Jaymo said:

Just get a BT whole home disc type setup.

Uses ‘mesh’ techniques to provide a Wi-Fi signal everywhere. 

Would be better than powerline adapters and easy to put a Wi-Fi card into your current PC 

I have the 'Deco' mesh setup, bought it on sale but now a shade over £100 for a 3 pack (2+ 1 homebase).  Not difficult to setup, but I still run wired connections where possible.

Probably cheaper than having Ethernet professionally run if you're not into DIYing it

Edited to add: But you must turn off your existing wifi before installing a mesh setup, which is the part most people struggle with

Edited by udderlyoffroad

On 28/11/2020 at 09:11, Jaymo said:

Just get a BT whole home disc type setup.

Uses ‘mesh’ techniques to provide a Wi-Fi signal everywhere. 

Would be better than powerline adapters and easy to put a Wi-Fi card into your current PC 

This is a very good suggestion, but it sounds like your PC doesn't have wifi - this can be done with a USB plugin and is quite straight forward to do.

You could try different homeplugs but the problem may be your internal wiring in the house is causing issues - especially if an older house. 

We had issues for ages - and it turned out that somewhere in the house there was a voltage being applied onto the wired bt sockets (one in nearly every room) so seeing as though the only hard wired connection to them was the router and the phone base station we had the rest of the house dropped from the wiring (wired in a serial loop)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I've had Vodafone broadband installed for a few days now, and first impressions are good. I was told that during the next 10-14 days, Vodafone engineers will test my internet speed/router and 'tweak' it for optimum performance. I've done a few internet speed checks online and so far, I'm getting download speeds of around 62 and upload speeds of 21. This is good in my area, and I still have the computer/router connected via plug in ethernet connections using the electrical points in the house. I am working on getting cables mover to allow the ethernet cable to connect directly to the computer.