12v Jump pack

Centrepin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pays to leave the light on, if there is one on the battery pack. Do this around once a month, then re-charge it. I have had 3 different types over the years, but none of them have lasted due to battery failure. I have used them on a pigeon magnet and that extended their life a bit longer. I now just have Home Start, just in case  !

12 hours ago, Westley said:

It pays to leave the light on, if there is one on the battery pack. Do this around once a month, then re-charge it. I have had 3 different types over the years, but none of them have lasted due to battery failure. I have used them on a pigeon magnet and that extended their life a bit longer. I now just have Home Start, just in case  !

I already have green flag double journey or whatever they call it this year, which includes home start. I carry 24v lorry cables so they don't overheat if anyone is around and my battery is only a couple of months old. Unfortunately green flag don't come into fields or generally speaking onto perms. It's also a blummin long walk to get a phone signal in some places. 

My problem is I have a drain on my battery from "somewhere" and disconnecting various things seems to make little difference. This "maybe" one of those cases when it's easier and cheaper to cure the symptoms not the problem. 

Apparently it's a common problem on Range Rovers with all the electric gadgets. Maybe i should bought a 110 CSW after all.

An update on this product @oldypigeonpopperin my opinion a waste of money. 

The jumper cables are very short and incredibly thin although the crocodile clips are strong and of good quality. I fear the cables would quickly overheat. Compact size and with a USB type charger and led light. Simple on/off button and 4 blue leds to show state of charge. 

Arrived yesterday showing 7v. Charged as per instructions then was unstable between 16v and 13v.

Left overnight to stabilise. Came out this morning to my Range Rover which was showing 8.4v. Checked the pack, it was showing 12.8v. Connected to car immediately dropped to 10.4v. Enough to turn the ignition on but no way enough to start my car. I don't believe it has the power to turn over even the tiniest of petrol engines. Needless to say it's going back and when I have time I'll pop into Halfrauds and look at a more expensive unit.

In short you get what to pay for. Buy cheap buy twice. This unit is 💩.

20201203_093446.jpg

Second picture as removed after turning ignition on.

20201203_094317.jpg

41 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The jumper cables are very short and incredibly thin although the crocodile clips are strong and of good quality. I fear the cables would quickly overheat. Compact size and with a USB type charger and led light. Simple on/off button and 4 blue leds to show state of charge. 

Arrived yesterday showing 7v. Charged as per instructions then was unstable between 16v and 13v.

Left overnight to stabilise. Came out this morning to my Range Rover which was showing 8.4v. Checked the pack, it was showing 12.8v. Connected to car immediately dropped to 10.4v. Enough to turn the ignition on but no way enough to start my car. I don't believe it has the power to turn over even the tiniest of petrol engines. Needless to say it's going back and when I have time I'll pop into Halfrauds and look at a more expensive unit.

20201203_093446.jpg

20201203_094317.jpg

Hello, oh sorry to hear that and thanks to let me know, I am not techy on these gadgets, can you let me know what you get from halfords or ?, I have in the past used the internal motor light to much at night and was stuck at farm 🙄

I've just been looking at the halfords ones and reading reviews. It appears you need to buy the unit rated well above your needs. ie: a unit rated for 3 litre diesel is unsuitable for anything over 2 litres if that makes sense.

The one rated for 3itres and above is £140.  So I'm having a long think first. Its not like I'm short on space and I already have heavy duty jump leads. Maybe a leisure battery and a split charger. 

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

20201203_093446.jpg

20201203_094317.jpg

I have the same as this, great for the jimny. I had and started 3l landcruiser once, but not enough in it for a second go. 

34 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Maybe a leisure battery and a split charger. 

Do not use leisure batteries for jump starting!  Fastest way to kill them.  Unless you're stuck in the Ozzie outback and it's a matter of life and limb.

Obviously the best way forward would be to find the parasitic current drain on your Range Rover.

If you're only seeing 8.4v on your vehicle battery, that to me indicates your battery is already damaged from a larger parasitic drain.

These chargers effectively 'cheat' physics by raising the voltage the system, enough to engage the starter solenoid and thus the starter.  It isn't really jump starting.  Hence the need to oversize them.

I've not had good results

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Do not use leisure batteries for jump starting!  Fastest way to kill them.  Unless you're stuck in the Ozzie outback and it's a matter of life and limb.

Obviously the best way forward would be to find the parasitic current drain on your Range Rover.

If you're only seeing 8.4v on your vehicle battery, that to me indicates your battery is already damaged from a larger parasitic drain.

These chargers effectively 'cheat' physics by raising the voltage the system, enough to engage the starter solenoid and thus the starter.  It isn't really jump starting.  Hence the need to oversize them.

I've not had good results

I didn't know that about leisure batteries, thanks for that you may have just saved my caravan battery from destruction.

My battery is maybe 2 months old, 5 year guarantee. 14v coming off the alternator.

It's a case of finding the drain. I found one, my so called intelligent dash cam that shuts down after so many mins parked but records if the vehicle is rocked was recording 24/7 front and rear.

I may have found another in the sat nav unit in the boot appears permanently live. Apparently Range Rovers are known for parasitic drains.

Normally its used every couple of days for shooting so never really goes under 12.2v, unfortunately at the moment my wife is severely ill and needs me in the same room 24/7. When my kids come to give me a break I tend to sleep so its just not getting used. Tried it today, but last time I ran it was 20 November, 15 - 20 mins to my perm, same home. Hence the 8.4v today.

I might be better putting it on a trickle charge when I park it. Home start is not a problem as I have another car. It's having it fail in the middle of no where on my perm that bothers me.

23 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I might be better putting it on a trickle charge when I park it. Home start is not a problem as I have another car. It's having it fail in the middle of no where on my perm that bothers me.

Yes a trickle charger would be a better bet in your case, I picked one up from Lidl's 'fun aisle' for £13 I think this week.  Pretty good. 

You can get wiring kits allowing you to permanently wire them in, and have a connector somewhere in line, say discretely mounted in the girl, so you don't have to faff opening the bonnet if you need the car in a hurry.

And yes, Rangies are known for it, I was forever chasing parasitic drains on my P38a.  The design may have been clever, but chasing faults in early 90s electronics spec'd by accountants and built by Brummies is not my idea of fun.

You won't kill a leisure battery immediately, but they're designed to cope well with being deeply discharged, via long slow draw, the exact opposite of a starting battery.  Also note, a split charger isn't designed for self jump-starting, or not usually anyway.

1 minute ago, mossy835 said:

glad i never bought one, i was looking at them.thanks

They're not a bad idea, and of course, if you're in the middle of nowhere, with no other vehicle jump start from, it can save you a long walk, especially if you have a couple of guns with you.  But the good ones are spendy, and need checking regularly.

And, you can usually fix whatever starting/charging problem your vehicle has for less money than a good jump pack.