12v Jump pack

Centrepin

Had a few over the years - batteries soon give up. Only one that lasted was a Snap On model. Very expensive, but did the job - always other people's cars, not my own. Got rid, because I never needed it. Don't have one now, but have a large mains starter / charger which will also do 24v vehicles.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, anyone have a Hilka 400 ? Seems to get good reviews

I'm no electrician and having had the poor one and now done a little more research it appears 400amp is too low. From what I see you need to buy the one that's at least one or two models up from what you need. ie: for a 3L diesel you need one rated for 4 or 5 litres or more. You get one chance at a start only, if it doesn't fire up first time forget it and think alternative methods.

That's my take on it anyway. I hope someone with more idea or experience can confirm or deny please.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely it is far simpler to ensure that your vehicles electrical system is working properly and is reliable.

Like Gordon above, I stopped carrying jump leads years ago as I never needed them myself.

I had an alternator go on the way home one night and the AA man just plugged in one of these battery packs (a proper one) and I then just drove the 10 miles home and he followed me. They’re useful alright.

Also I love an old banger - after selling my old SL I said I was done with old cars and garages, spray shops and so on. But low and behold.... 😆

Anyways, they’re blummin useful. 

Surely it is far simpler to ensure that your vehicles electrical system is working properly and is reliable.

Like Gordon above, I stopped carrying jump leads years ago as I never needed them myself.

Hello, I still keep my jump leads in the Dihatsu in case I see a Damsel in distress with a flat battery, 🤔😁

What have you bought now?

An old L Reg Bentley Turbo R 😆

Less than 40k on the clock, FSH, everything works, new tyres all round last year and spotless paintwork (in the right colours). 

It was £150k out the factory and was mine for £6k.

Just drove to Southampton and back in it this morning to pick the eldest up from Uni. Didn’t miss a beat, proper motorway speed all the way there and back too. Downside £120k in petrol, but hey it was a cheap car.

0C4D4B6D-790A-4E8E-8AB6-0597D777B030.jpeg

Just wondered if any one has tried using a solar panel in their vehicles to trickle charge their batteries when the vehicles are not used for a while? Seems like it might be a reasonable cost option especially if you have minor parasitic losses in built into your cars etc. 

My Bro got me to fit one at his paddock some years ago to charge his battery bank that used to use 12 volt lights in his yard and power his electric fence around the grazing area.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Easy to say, very expensive to diagnose a parasitic drain, especially when they're built in by design. 

If i use my Range Rover every day or couple of days, no problems. Leave it two weeks, nary a chance. I just worry that one day, out of phone signal in a field it may go flat. As you probably remember I can only walk a very short distance. 

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what was the verdict on these self starters, up to 1,500 cc or is it better to get one that goes uk to 2 ltr ? One you can charge in cigar lighter ? I use my internal light a lot when shooting at night so it's just in case jobby 🤔😁

I'm waiting for the January sales to look at Half fords. At least if they're outrageously garbage I can take them back in person and get a refund.

I'm going to look at the ones that claim they can start a 5itre diesel.

The one I bought on line, I sent back tracked and recorded and despite the Post Office having delivered it, I still await my refund.

In your case of use of interior light, have you thought about changing to an LED bulb. They use less power. Either that or one of those LED plug in lights.

8 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I'm waiting for the January sales to look at Half fords. At least if they're outrageously garbage I can take them back in person and get a refund.

I'm going to look at the ones that claim they can start a 5itre diesel.

The one I bought on line, I sent back tracked and recorded and despite the Post Office having delivered it, I still await my refund.

In your case of use of interior light, have you thought about changing to an LED bulb. They use less power. Either that or one of those LED plug in lights.

Thanks, will get a L e D map reading light, will check out a few car starters in new year, cheers

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what did you buy Centre pin?

Nothing at the moment because of lockdown.

However, today I'm going to call into halfrauds if they're open as its next door to the vets and both my dogs boosters are due.

I'll let you know if anything is worth buying. 

TBH, I've been thinking of a second battery if I could find a space as I already have the split charge relay. My problem is wiring it in due to cold wet weather. What may take an auto electrician (if I could find one) an hour, may take me a day or more.

17 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Nothing at the moment because of lockdown.

However, today I'm going to call into halfrauds if they're open as its next door to the vets and both my dogs boosters are due.

I'll let you know if anything is worth buying. 

TBH, I've been thinking of a second battery if I could find a space as I already have the split charge relay. My problem is wiring it in due to cold wet weather. What may take an auto electrician (if I could find one) an hour, may take me a day or more.

Hello, many thanks, I wonder if you can run a 12 volt heater off a power bank ?, I thought of a spare battery but if could do above would be more ideal, cheers

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, many thanks, I wonder if you can run a 12 volt heater off a power bank ?, I thought of a spare battery but if could do above would be more ideal, cheers

I think a heating element would eat up the battery fast but I suppose it would depend on how big the battery and how much heat. Sure someone on here will know for sure. There must be some kind of formula for working out amps and volts. 

I was more thinking of auxiliary lights when engine not running, possibly a kettle type element for the odd brew and a back up in case I was stuck.

Back in the day, I bought a heater type blower for my series landy for demisting. Plugged into cigarette type lighter. If the engine wasn't running, by heck did eat volts. With engine on, when switched on, there was a noticeable change in engine revs.

On 12/01/2021 at 17:37, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what did you buy Centre pin?

I went into Halfords today, couldn't belive how busy it was considering it's supposed to be lockdown. Only one member of staff in the shop, poor lass on till said she'd had enough. Other member of staff was outside fitting bulbs. Because she had to go in the back to get what I wanted, shop and till had to be left unattended. A shoplifters dream methinks. Note: I was only in as its next door to the vets and dogs needed boosters.

I decided on the mid range NOCO Boost XL. Supposedly able to start up to 4.5 litre diesel engine.

It's on charge now so only time will tell if it's going to work.

I'll not know for a few days as the Rangey is in having a fuel pump fitted.

I bought it as they have a no quibble guarantee. If it doesn't turn the engine then back it goes. According to the bumf that comes with it, it can work with a battery showing 2v or less on a 12v system.

Weighing in at 3lb and quite small it'll find a home in one of my boxes in the back.

20210113_145831.jpg

20210113_145853.jpg

20210113_185245.jpg

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I went into Halfords today, couldn't belive how busy it was considering it's supposed to be lockdown. Only one member of staff in the shop, poor lass on till said she'd had enough. Other member of staff was outside fitting bulbs. Because she had to go in the back to get what I wanted, shop and till had to be left unattended. A shoplifters dream methinks. Note: I was only in as its next door to the vets and dogs needed boosters.

I decided on the mid range NOCO Boost XL. Supposedly able to start up to 4.5 litre diesel engine.

It's on charge now so only time will tell if it's going to work.

I'll not know for a few days as the Rangey is in having a fuel pump fitted.

I bought it as they have a no quibble guarantee. If it doesn't turn the engine then back it goes. According to the bumf that comes with it, it can work with a battery showing 2v or less on a 12v system.

Weighing in at 3lb and quite small it'll find a home in one of my boxes in the back.

20210113_145831.jpg

20210113_145853.jpg

20210113_185245.jpg

Hello, thanks for that, how much ?