12v Jump pack

Centrepin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I went into Halfords today, couldn't belive how busy it was considering it's supposed to be lockdown. Only one member of staff in the shop, poor lass on till said she'd had enough. Other member of staff was outside fitting bulbs. Because she had to go in the back to get what I wanted, shop and till had to be left unattended. A shoplifters dream methinks. Note: I was only in as its next door to the vets and dogs needed boosters.

I decided on the mid range NOCO Boost XL. Supposedly able to start up to 4.5 litre diesel engine.

It's on charge now so only time will tell if it's going to work.

I'll not know for a few days as the Rangey is in having a fuel pump fitted.

I bought it as they have a no quibble guarantee. If it doesn't turn the engine then back it goes. According to the bumf that comes with it, it can work with a battery showing 2v or less on a 12v system.

Weighing in at 3lb and quite small it'll find a home in one of my boxes in the back.

20210113_145831.jpg

20210113_145853.jpg

20210113_185245.jpg

I have the same jump pack and it will start my 1.9tdi passat 16 times when its battery is totally dead and still have 2 bar of charge left in it. If your battery is totally flat make sure you put it in boost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update to this, my 3 litre diesel Range Rover hasn't been run in over a week. Drain on battery, battery showing 9.6v. Connected jump pack, didn't press boost. Turned engine about four revolutions or so before it fired. So it actually started on first turn of key. Normally it fires and starts within one revolution.

Still showing fully charged on jump pack but to be perfectly honest I think the next size up would be better for my engine size. I wasn't confident it would have turned the engine over again.

My conclusion is you need a pack rated for at least twice the engine size stated for diesel for it to be any use.

On 28/01/2021 at 15:56, Centrepin said:

Just as an update to this, my 3 litre diesel Range Rover hasn't been run in over a week. Drain on battery, battery showing 9.6v. Connected jump pack, didn't press boost. Turned engine about four revolutions or so before it fired. So it actually started on first turn of key. Normally it fires and starts within one revolution.

Still showing fully charged on jump pack but to be perfectly honest I think the next size up would be better for my engine size. I wasn't confident it would have turned the engine over again.

My conclusion is you need a pack rated for at least twice the engine size stated for diesel for it to be any use.

No you don't, if you had put it in boost it would have started it on the first turn of the key.

• 1 month later...

Having not run the Range Rover due to being in hospital and then recovering I fully charged the jump pack in anticipation.

11.9v showing on Range rover battery.

Pack connected, boost button pressed. Zero, zilch, nada, absolutely nothing. Not enough power to turn the engine even once. The leads were so hot they hurt my fingers, the unit uncomfortably warm.

Jump leads from the Volvo, first turn of key started. 

Now its been returned to Halfords for the next model up.

Apparently the NOCO GB70 can start a 6 litre diesel with a battery of -2v. 

I'm not convinced and only time will now tell.

Having said that, it started a Luton van with a knackered battery first time and is a good reserve 12v power pack for lower power accessories like LED work lights and phone charging.

20210315_083445.jpg

• 3 months later...

Update:

3 months on. Battery showing 7.5v as I've been ill 2 weeks plus and car not in use.

Full of confidence it'll work first time as I need to check my perm today.

Cost £200 but so far worth it's cost.

I also use it as a 12v power pack for things like inflating my  air awning on caravan and my son has used it camping for charging phones and an i pod/pad thingy for Netflix. I have no understanding of the power requirements for that or even how Netflix works.

20210618_073158.jpg