Copper coated steel shot

Hi yes it’s for corrosion protection. I’ve loaded copper coated l don’t think it’s any different but it looks good. I’m loading 3.8mm steel with TSS it looks very strange, ones tiny silver and ones large gold. I’ve enclosed a photo of a steel cartridge found on the marsh, cant tell if it was copper coated. When I opened it the powder was still dry . It could be better if Steel cartridges could be loaded using transparent cases. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi yes it’s for corrosion protection. I’ve loaded copper coated l don’t think it’s any different but it looks good. I’m loading 3.8mm steel with TSS it looks very strange, ones tiny silver and ones large gold. I’ve enclosed a photo of a steel cartridge found on the marsh, cant tell if it was copper coated. When I opened it the powder was still dry . It could be better if Steel cartridges could be loaded using transparent cases. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's terrifying.

2 hours ago, motty said:

Why would anyone use a cartridge that they had found on the marsh?

Still, I doubt there would be any problem firing it.

I agree with you there - but someone may well reuse a cartridge that's been caught in a downpour - I've been known on occasion to leave the top of my cartridge bag open during a drive where the heavens have opened. Or alternatively, I've found drenched cartridges in the pockets of my barbour after a day walked up shooting in the rain.

I always understood one of the problems with the early steel cartridges was the peices of shot rusting together - obviously that has ramifications for the distance / power it will travel / retain - but I bet the barells wouldent remain unscathed if something as pictured above went through them.

3 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi it looks worse on the photo. It would (shake apart) with the recoil. I don’t know how long it was on the marsh . I have a lead cartridge in the same condition the powder was dry as well. 

I take your point, but soft lead is one thing, steel is (to my understanding) another.

I wouldent want to take my chances.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Emphasises the chances of balled shot.

👍

Hi the first steel shot I loaded had a type of dust covering for rust protection. When loading it was dirty a bit like graphite. The photo was from summer to show a friend what l was using to shoot the pigeons with. I had a couple of tubes from over ten years ago so I loaded it. Now steel is shiny or copper plated, it all works well.

92D9049C-A4B6-44BF-B0C0-5D57879CA9DF.jpeg

7 hours ago, motty said:

How so?

bulged barrels    solid slug   witnessed both using last years loads still in jacket pockets  chucked in a bag    under the front seat   in the boot            didnt rattle  they dont undo in the barrel                        i have decanted some shells  powder and primer ok    steel shot a solid rusty lump welded together   sloid lump    hitting it with a hammer didnt break it up   extreme heat needed  oxy acetalize          imagine a  releasing a rusty nut        i load fresh for  the salt marsh  load as many as you like then  put 25 in a sealed box  or two from  cabelas or sandwich box from  boys  and replenish          three in  the gun  if they dont rattle next week dont use                   steel rust on the foreshore faster than  anything else               reload your own  shot and environment be safe          motty  just because you hadn't seen it                   you haven't been round long enough                      it still exists                        learn  something     be safe  be quiet and    despite shot type   learn something   new every day        you are a passionate wildfowler      but please learn others have been round far longer than you who are still learning  why  cant you   please learn  knowledge is key  dismiss nothing learned 

Edited by Saltings

I've dropped a pocket full into the water when I slipped crossing a stretch on more than one occasion, quick dip and dry they were fine.

Others the rain came sideways and soaked my waterproof bag through the too.flap. got home dumped all my gear in garage hanging to drop dry. Never once thought in my bag had gotten wet just the carts in my pocket. Next day when I opened my bag it was swimming with two inches of water. Carts were left to dry for weeks, the shot isn't stuck together and they work fine. Modern shot has a coating from factory.

Any who are bothered, smear the crimp with petroleum jelly and seal the primer with clear nail varnish.

Edited by figgy