Population density across the UK

AVB

I’ve never given a lot of thought to it but I had assumed that the north of England was less densely populated than the south. You always read about the south of England being concreted over. However I was reading an article looking into why the North had more Covid cases and was surprised to find the following. 

“On population density, people in south-western and eastern England are more likely to live in rural areas or small rural towns. This means they are less likely to live in overcrowded housing, reducing the spread between households. 

According to the 2011 Census , 35% of southerners (excluding London) lived in these areas, compared with 26% in the Midlands and 19% in the North.”

I accept that it’s 9 years out of date but would it have changed that much? 

Hello, it's a long time since I went up north ( 40 years )with cities having areas of back to back houses, a few high rise  buildings of self contained flats I am sure if I took this journey today vast areas of new builds would be seen as well, I think the covid cases in the North could be due to ethnic citizens way of living with larger numbers in the family unit, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's a long time since I went up north with cities having areas of back to back houses, a few high rise  buildings of self contained flats I am sure if I took this journey today vast areas of new builds would be seen as well, I think the covid cases in the North could be due to ethnic citizens way of living with larger numbers in the family unit, 

I was under the impression it was all rolling hills and moors. Just goes to show how little I know about the U.K.  I went on a school trip to Whitley Bay aged 10, visited Manchester twice for work and did a trip to York a couple of years ago. That’s my experience of ‘The North’ in 57 years. I have spent more time in Scotland though. 

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

I was under the impression it was all rolling hills and moors. Just goes to show how little I know about the U.K.  I went on a school trip to Whitley Bay aged 10, visited Manchester twice for work and did a trip to York a couple of years ago. That’s my experience of ‘The North’ in 57 years. I have spent more time in Scotland though. 

Hello, for me it was the early 1980s and a week near York, I can only judge going up the old M 1, not sure how many cities we passed but am sure today would be very different, Britain's green and pleasant land is slowly disappearing 🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I think the covid cases in the North could be due to ethnic citizens way of living with larger numbers in the family unit, 

Yeah, it's nothing to do with the indigenous people going out clubbing or round to their mates for a p... up?

87% of this country are white, how the flyer can 13% be largely responsible, surely you can do the sums?

I live in the north and yes there are lots of rolling hills and moors, this is because most of the population live in good sized towns and cities. We have lots of rural villages and market towns that are being built around so this trend will change from being small rural populations to much higher over the next decade. Some of the housing estates springing up in rural villages are dwarfing the village itself.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I live in the north and yes there are lots of rolling hills and moors, this is because most of the population live in good sized towns and cities. We have lots of rural villages and market towns that are being built around so this trend will change from being small rural populations to much higher over the next decade. Some of the housing estates springing up in rural villages are dwarfing the village itself.

From my front door I can see the roof tops of a farms buildings about 200 yds away, and then no more buildings ( unless I use binoculars) all the way to the Lakeland Fells around 20 miles away. At night I can see quite a few lights and in the distance a thin trail of moving lights which I’m assuming is the M6 as it drops down from Shap summit. 
Behind me are a lot of new builds which went up over the last couple of years, and then the Pennines around a mile away.

Everywhere I go there are houses being built, hundreds and hundreds of them, estate after estate, mostly along the sides of the M6 for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

19 hours ago, henry d said:

Yeah, it's nothing to do with the indigenous people going out clubbing or round to their mates for a p... up?

87% of this country are white, how the flyer can 13% be largely responsible, surely you can do the sums?

Are those figures correct?  Which country are you referring to?

Not out for an argument just genuine questions.

On 27/11/2020 at 19:35, henry d said:

what has colour got to do with being responsible? 

And you can also be white and not British you know. 

On 27/11/2020 at 19:35, henry d said:

87% white, I am astonished. Someone needs to tell all the advertisers  in the media that info, as they clearly have a massive misunderstanding of their targeted audience,it's years since I have seen a white person in an advert.....Or has big brother  told them to stop employing the indiginous population.Off topic, but still relevant? 

8 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

87% white, I am astonished. Someone needs to tell all the advertisers  in the media that info, as they clearly have a massive misunderstanding of their targeted audience,it's years since I have seen a white person in an advert.....Or has big brother  told them to stop employing the indiginous population.Off topic, but still relevant? 

I did not know that, so I thought I would check. So 11-30 I switch on the box, Ch4, cookery programme and shortly after the ads come on, first was the go compare guy, then a young white girl and a few extras all white apart from one black guy about 10:1. Next is multiple white people apart from one Asian woman running, about 15:1 in that. Next a mattress ad with 2 white people, then a Bacardi rum and set in Cuba or somewhere similar with about 12 people mostly black, then Mo Gilligan and 3 other black guys at the barbers. So apart from the cultural relevance of Bacardi and Mo at the barbers it was pretty much on the money for our demography. I'll check again later and see if it is any different, perhaps you need to do a check yourself?

11 minutes ago, henry d said:

I did not know that, so I thought I would check. So 11-30 I switch on the box, Ch4, cookery programme and shortly after the ads come on, first was the go compare guy, then a young white girl and a few extras all white apart from one black guy about 10:1. Next is multiple white people apart from one Asian woman running, about 15:1 in that. Next a mattress ad with 2 white people, then a Bacardi rum and set in Cuba or somewhere similar with about 12 people mostly black, then Mo Gilligan and 3 other black guys at the barbers. So apart from the cultural relevance of Bacardi and Mo at the barbers it was pretty much on the money for our demography. I'll check again later and see if it is any different, perhaps you need to do a check yourself?

Maybe I don't  watch the same things as you,( I Don't have a TV so watch on the internet) just on catch up,where allowed,My research has been exactly the opposite.

25 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Maybe I don't  watch the same things as you,( I Don't have a TV so watch on the internet) just on catch up,where allowed,My research has been exactly the opposite.

So your ads will be skewed by your searches, just like I see at the top of this page ads from the last place I searched and bought from.

9 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

If you were to watch any 'live broadcast' independent TV channels you would see what you haven't seen for years 😉 It's very noticeably more ethnic these days 👍

1 minute ago, JKD said:

If you were to watch any 'live broadcast' independent TV channels you would see what you haven't seen for years 😉 It's very noticeably more ethnic these days 👍

Yes, I’d agree with this; adverts are far more colour diverse than they were, and noticebly quite recently I would add.