SKY package

steve_b_wales

I'm planning on ditching the above package (TV, phone and broadband) in the New Year, owing to having an all singing and dancing Firestick. As I understand it, the satellite dish and SKY+ box are mine to keep, and I can also keep my email address, providing I log in at least once a month. But, cancelling SKY means that I, or rather my wife, won't be able to record programs such as Emmerdale. I've heard somewhere that I can still pay a monthly fee to SKY to allow recording to remain. Is this correct, and/or would it be better to bet a different satellite box that would allow this?

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm planning on ditching the above package (TV, phone and broadband) in the New Year, owing to having an all singing and dancing Firestick. As I understand it, the satellite dish and SKY+ box are mine to keep, and I can also keep my email address, providing I log in at least once a month. But, cancelling SKY means that I, or rather my wife, won't be able to record programs such as Emmerdale. I've heard somewhere that I can still pay a monthly fee to SKY to allow recording to remain. Is this correct, and/or would it be better to bet a different satellite box that would allow this?

Win win situation!

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Think you still need wifi or internet connection for the stick to work. So most programs will be on catch up. But freesat box is an option. 

30 minutes ago, mellors said:

Think you still need wifi or internet connection for the stick to work. So most programs will be on catch up. But freesat box is an option. 

I agree. I'm looking at various offers for a broadband package.

35 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Steve you can get a freesat box that uses your sky dish there are ones that let you record one channel  while watching another . Providing you have two cables come if your sky dish . You must have if your already doing it with sky . 

Yes. Excellent. :good:

Edited by steve_b_wales

You loose the record function when moving to sky freesat. 

humax seem to be the leaders in freesat boxes. 
we have no terrestrial tv signal so use freesat. 

if you have decent signal freeview boxes are cheaper. 

they share a majority of channels with freesat having a fire obscure ones freeview doesn’t and vice versa 

I have just been looking at freesat boxes some can record upto 4 programmes and can connect to the Sky dish(LNB), some models even the Sky Q dish(LNB), if you do use Channel 4 or 4 on demand they are not availiable on freesat. Google freesat boxes there are few options and reviews about on them.

If you wanted to run more boxes off one dish you can get LNB's with multiple cable outlets.

due to very poor freeview reception where I live I use a Manhatten freesat 2 channel recorder. So if I am watching something recorded (almost invariably am so I can whizz past the ads) I can also record 2 channels at the same time. I get the full suite of programs as my dish points at a freesat satellite. Been going strong for nearly 8 years now.

2 hours ago, 243deer said:

due to very poor freeview reception where I live I use a Manhatten freesat 2 channel recorder. So if I am watching something recorded (almost invariably am so I can whizz past the ads) I can also record 2 channels at the same time. I get the full suite of programs as my dish points at a freesat satellite. Been going strong for nearly 8 years now.

I'll take a look at that, if all else fails (can't route the ethernet or BT cable)

Most of them now have wi fi for smart bits and pieces. 

The only issue is having to get freesat boxes for every room. 
we have smart TVs now in the other rooms that need them and watch stuff of the smart functions. Luckily we only have a requirement for live tv on the main one 

TVs with built in freesat are few and far between and are really expensive. 

we have been using freesat for 12 odd years