Current NI Covid-19 lockdown

Big Al

Do any of the other Northern Ireland guys on here feel let down by our organisations over guidance (or lack of it ) over the current restrictions?

Social media has been alive with the "Can we? Can't we?" debate but we've heard nothing from those who should be guiding us.

I've spoken to BASC and CAI by phone and they are saying no shooting.  But Countrysports Ireland seem to be saying it's ok in certain conditions. Other people have been contacting FEB or their local Firearms Officer, again with varying opinions. 

The situation has been further confused by Edwin Poots since allowing fishing to continue. 

Personally I won't be going out until I hear from them but the silence has been deafening. 

I can't say any different to what's already been discussed on social media. There's a lot of confusion over what is and what isn't allowed. My understanding is that vermin control is permitted as it's classed as essential, but the likes of wildfowling and rough shooting is not permitted because it's not essential. The representation and communication from the organisations is terrible to say the least, but it may be as a result of the lack of decision making ability from the folks on the hill. I'll be out on the rabbits tonight regardless.

Edited by Cannon

What amazes me is that England get locked down but wildfowling and rough shooting is allowed,but the devolved assembly's put a stop on all shooting except pest control on the premise that is not essential travel,but you can travel as far as you want on a bike as it's looked on as exercise.

I do wish they would make rules which is fair to all regions.

Wildfowling and rough shooting are hardly a mass gatherings.

3 minutes ago, greylag said:

What amazes me is that England get locked down but wildfowling and rough shooting is allowed,but the devolved assembly's put a stop on all shooting except pest control on the premise that is not essential travel,but you can travel as far as you want on a bike as it's looked on as exercise.

I do wish they would make rules which is fair to all regions.

Wildfowling and rough shooting are hardly a mass gatherings.

Northern Ireland district council strikes again. Eejits.

36 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I can't say any different to what's already been discussed on social media. There's a lot of confusion over what is and what isn't allowed. My understanding is that vermin control is permitted as it's classed as essential, but the likes of wildfowling and rough shooting is not permitted because it's not essential. The representation and communication from the organisations is terrible to say the least, but it may be as a result of the lack of decision making ability from the folks on the hill. I'll be out on the rabbits tonight regardless.

And yet fishing is permitted. It would make you cross. I have a day of DIY laid out in front of me now!

National trust walks are still open, the only difference between walking their trails and walking the fields is you have to pay them and you can't take a gun. One of my permissions is directly across the road from one. I think if I get a chance I'll still take a walk with the gun

BASC's advice for Northern Ireland, as of 27 November, is below. Keep up to date with latest updates at https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/

A two week ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown is in effect in Northern Ireland from 00:01 GMT Friday 27 November until 23:59 on Thursday 10 December.

BASC’s interpretation of the guidance and regulations for shooting is as follows:

Indoor and outdoor sports are not permitted, other than at elite level. This means that indoor and outdoor recreational shooting activities are not permitted because recreational shooting is classed as sport under the Covid-19 framework in Northern Ireland. To be clear, this means that it could be unlawful to take part in recreational shooting activities such as game shooting, rough shooting, deer stalking, wildfowling and target shooting.

It remains lawful for people to carry out essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock and to travel to carry out these essential activities. Examples would include the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence the management of rodents, rabbits and deer.

It remains lawful for people to carry out game management and gamekeeping activities and to travel to carry out these essential activities. Examples would include looking after game birds, pest/predator control and habitat management.

Please note that the NI Executive is advising people to avoid all unnecessary travel. This is advisory only and not a legal requirement. However, it is clear the intention of the government’s guidance is to discourage long journeys wherever possible; and we encourage members to use their own judgement when deciding whether or not to travel, depending on their particular circumstances.

All non-essential retail including gun shops must close however click and collect facilities will be permitted to operate on an appointment-only basis with maximum mitigations in place.

Click here for the guidance

Click here for the regulations

30 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC's advice for Northern Ireland, as of 27 November, is below. Keep up to date with latest updates at https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/

A two week ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown is in effect in Northern Ireland from 00:01 GMT Friday 27 November until 23:59 on Thursday 10 December.

BASC’s interpretation of the guidance and regulations for shooting is as follows:

Indoor and outdoor sports are not permitted, other than at elite level. This means that indoor and outdoor recreational shooting activities are not permitted because recreational shooting is classed as sport under the Covid-19 framework in Northern Ireland. To be clear, this means that it could be unlawful to take part in recreational shooting activities such as game shooting, rough shooting, deer stalking, wildfowling and target shooting.

It remains lawful for people to carry out essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock and to travel to carry out these essential activities. Examples would include the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence the management of rodents, rabbits and deer.

It remains lawful for people to carry out game management and gamekeeping activities and to travel to carry out these essential activities. Examples would include looking after game birds, pest/predator control and habitat management.

Please note that the NI Executive is advising people to avoid all unnecessary travel. This is advisory only and not a legal requirement. However, it is clear the intention of the government’s guidance is to discourage long journeys wherever possible; and we encourage members to use their own judgement when deciding whether or not to travel, depending on their particular circumstances.

All non-essential retail including gun shops must close however click and collect facilities will be permitted to operate on an appointment-only basis with maximum mitigations in place.

Click here for the guidance

Click here for the regulations

Thank you Conor. Clarity is greatly welcomed. I will be sharing this widely on social media.  Perhaps BASC could do likewise.

11 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Thank you Conor. Clarity is greatly welcomed. I will be sharing this widely on social media.  Perhaps BASC could do likewise.

Glad it helps and please do share widely. Since the first lockdown in March we have been widely advertising our web hub at https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/ for latest updates so if people are commenting on social media in last few days about what the latest changes in NI mean for shooting they have hopefully checked our website before commenting.

6 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Glad it helps and please do share widely. Since the first lockdown in March we have been widely advertising our web hub at https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/ for latest updates so if people are commenting on social media in last few days about what the latest changes in NI mean for shooting they have hopefully checked our website before 

They certainly haven't.  If you are a member of the Shooting NI Facebook page, I suggest you have a look. People have been out today. 

There has been a substantial outcry for guidance on social media. Even a pointer to that hub (I wasn't aware of it) would have answered a lot of questions. 

I am sharing it as widely as  I can!

18 minutes ago, millrace said:

So basc think "" if could be unlawful"""

That's not advice!!

And can find nowhere in any of the drafts where it specifies you cant,!!

And I do wonder who you all think would actually enforce it!!

It does say no indoor or outdoor sport apart from elite level.  I'm a fairly good shot, but elite??

Apart from vermin control,  a lot of what I do is under the sport category. 

I have read BASC’s interpretation of the guidance issued and it matches what I took from it when I read it. I am a member of Shooting NI and to be honest I am slightly disheartened at the amount of picture of people out shooting today. 

I completely agree that rough shooting alone is as solitary a sport as fishing, maybe even more so and if you happen to have permission to rough shoot up in the hills or out in the glens where your not wandering through farmers “fields” then does it do any harm? No probably not. What will do harm is when the anti brigade get hold of the pictures and twist it and make it seem like we held mass driven shoots during the lockdown. We have also seen it happen with pictures in the past.

It’s a different ball game if your permission involves going through farmers yards, lanes and fields in my opinion out of respect for the health of the farmers, it should be stopped for two weeks.

Will two weeks of not shooting do any harm in the long run? No. Will we miss out on much? Unlikely - the woodcock are only starting to arrive anyway! The pheasants we put down will be there in two weeks!

I wouldn’t want my landowners getting asked awkward questions about my actions for the sake of a few pheasants, when in two weeks time I can return to the usual routine. 

The circuit breaker has and end date - that’s what makes it different from the lockdown - it won’t be extended automatically. 

It’s two weeks without going for a shot!!

4 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

I have read BASC’s interpretation of the guidance issued and it matches what I took from it when I read it. I am a member of Shooting NI and to be honest I am slightly disheartened at the amount of picture of people out shooting today. 

I completely agree that rough shooting alone is as solitary a sport as fishing, maybe even more so and if you happen to have permission to rough shoot up in the hills or out in the glens where your not wandering through farmers “fields” then does it do any harm? No probably not. What will do harm is when the anti brigade get hold of the pictures and twist it and make it seem like we held mass driven shoots during the lockdown. We have also seen it happen with pictures in the past.

It’s a different ball game if your permission involves going through farmers yards, lanes and fields in my opinion out of respect for the health of the farmers, it should be stopped for two weeks.

Will two weeks of not shooting do any harm in the long run? No. Will we miss out on much? Unlikely - the woodcock are only starting to arrive anyway! The pheasants we put down will be there in two weeks!

I wouldn’t want my landowners getting asked awkward questions about my actions for the sake of a few pheasants, when in two weeks time I can return to the usual routine. 

The circuit breaker has and end date - that’s what makes it different from the lockdown - it won’t be extended automatically. 

It’s two weeks without going for a shot!!

Well said. The guys on Shooting NI need to hear it too.

Just now, Big Al said:

Well said. The guys on Shooting NI need to hear it too.

A couple of the main posters and admins have said they won’t be out, and have said if people are choosing to continue don’t bother posting pictures. 

I don’t have any real interest in arguing with people on Facebook over it, I find the forum much more balanced place to discuss things, but as an FAC holder you are rightly or wrongly held to higher account, if you step out of line you may lose the guns even for a while. It’s unlikely to happen in this scenario I admit, but why bring yourself under notice...it’s two weeks! 

So what's the difference in dandering over the fields with the dog or taking an air rifle????? What absolute nonsense..I haven't watched the news or listened to any form of radio for months now and you know what ???? I'm far happier for it.....them clowns in stormont couldn't run a bath amongst them..we employ them and the lot of them need sacked!!!!!!! Good enough for Michelle to attend a show of strength in West Belfast it's good enough for me to walk the fields alone..not harming or risking anyone's health

8 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

So what's the difference in dandering over the fields with the dog or taking an air rifle????? What absolute nonsense..I haven't watched the news or listened to any form of radio for months now and you know what ???? I'm far happier for it.....them clowns in stormont couldn't run a bath amongst them..we employ them and the lot of them need sacked!!!!!!! Good enough for Michelle to attend a show of strength in West Belfast it's good enough for me to walk the fields alone..not harming or risking anyone's health

Absolutely. Clowns. Overpaid clowns. A friend has been emailing Edwin Poots asking about why fishing is allowed and socially distanced shooting isn't. He got a reply simply repeating (more or less) what Conor said above. And he watched (from his house) pigeon decoyers shooting big bags yesterday. 

And because  BASC threatened Shooting NI Facebook page with legal action over something in the past, nothing from BASC is allowed on there.

Sorry Conor,  but the repost I did has been taken down because I mentioned where the info came from. Perhaps BASC NI could put a post up?

1 hour ago, tweedledee said:

So what's the difference in dandering over the fields with the dog or taking an air rifle????? 

I agree with you, it makes no difference in terms of your health risks if you have a gun or not with you. I can tell you atleast two of my permissions would not appreciate me being out over this lockdown, others I don’t think are bothered either way. 

As usual with this legislation it’s all grey and open to interpretation. I just wouldn’t want to lose a permission or come under suspicion from the police for the sake of a few pheasants, for two weeks. 

My main concern is the pictures on social media that can so easily be twisted. 

2 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

I agree with you, it makes no difference in terms of your health risks if you have a gun or not with you. I can tell you atleast two of my permissions would not appreciate me being out over this lockdown, others I don’t think are bothered either way. 

As usual with this legislation it’s all grey and open to interpretation. I just wouldn’t want to lose a permission or come under suspicion from the police for the sake of a few pheasants, for two weeks. 

My main concern is the pictures on social media that can so easily be twisted. 

I shoot mostly vermin now so no issue...farmers always glad to see me

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Absolutely. Clowns. Overpaid clowns. A friend has been emailing Edwin Poots asking about why fishing is allowed and socially distanced shooting isn't. He got a reply simply repeating (more or less) what Conor said above. And he watched (from his house) pigeon decoyers shooting big bags yesterday. 

And because  BASC threatened Shooting NI Facebook page with legal action over something in the past, nothing from BASC is allowed on there.

Sorry Conor,  but the repost I did has been taken down because I mentioned where the info came from. Perhaps BASC NI could put a post up?

Think it's agreed that no shooting organisation posts on the page..think the basc were getting the back ripped outta them on there...I'm safer in a field alone enjoying my sport than paddling round shops after presents....it's been nothing but nonsense from stormont from the beginning....sorry but I'm not a believer it's anywhere as bad as been pictured

2 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

I must have missed that drama?

It's in their announcement section, copied and reposted.

Edit: I've just removed it. Shooting NI is a private group and this is a public forum. No the smartest thing I've done.

If you're a member,  read it on the announcement page.

Edited by Big Al
Oops