favourite Saturday morning breakfast

243deer

I am very fortunate to have one of my permissions just over my back fence so I am able to go stalking as I wish.

I was a little late on parade this morning only getting out the door at about 7. The fog we have been suffering from recently had lifted a good deal and I had more than a field length in visibility which was a bonus.

With a 3/4 bright moon last night I was not expecting anything much but needed to be outside and if I have learned anything about deer they are not predicable.

So I set off for about 600 yards, wind was at my 10 o'clock so not ideal if it swirled as it was also a very light wind which will always be fickle, especially in woodland.

As I stalked in slowly towards the wood, I was clearly not fooling anything that could see me so the songbirds were twittering away, a blackbird would simply not give up and several wood pigeons clattered away.

The only thing to do was to stop. So I set up the quad sticks with the rifle on. Once set up you can lean gently on the stock of the rifle and just let time float by whilst the wood quietens. 

There is a cross over bit of field craft that is equally pertinant to both stalking (ambushing) and decoying and that is to keep still and only move your eyes.

So this morning was one of the lucky ones and after just 5 minutes of being still I just caught sight of some movement at my 9 o'clock. My immediate thought was that I hoped it was not a pheasant as they do tend to shatter the calm and they have such good eyesight for the slightest movement.

Fortunately it was a good looking munty buck. As I turned my head very slowly to get a look at his general health and movement I had my second piece of luck as he disappeared behind a mound for a few seconds. This gave me time to swivel the sticks through 90 degrees and get reasonably well set up.

When he reappeared he was flitting here and there, taking the odd nibble but not stopping for long. This is the most exillerating time of any stalk when you have to calm your mind and be patient waiting for a good opportunity.

After about 2 minutes of following and with the buck now only 30 yards away he took a second nibble at something tasty, his last mouthful.

So having gralloched, cleared up, walked home, collected the carcass in the truck, put it in the chiller, cleaned the gun it was now time for my favourite breakfast.

I cannot lay claim to producing the baby plum tomatoes, but the fresh munty liver, kidney and the free range organic egg from my own chickens I did have a hand in which makes it all the more satisfying.

If you have not been lucky enough to try fresh munty liver and kidney then try and ask any stalker you know if you might have some. Sadly many stalkers no longer eat the offal which is a shame but does give other folk a chance to try some.

breakfast.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Lovely write up and satisfying end result - well done. I am a big fan of offal. (Roe Heart stuffed with Cumberland sausage meat.)

That is a champion idea I had not thought of. I have a few roe I need to cull over the next few weeks so I will give that a go.

mine is ........

2 fat bloaters rip the guts out with your finger ...break open flat ....rub butter on them .....under the grill......

followed by boring old nescafe powdered coffee made with all milk from the milk pan...sugar and a danish pastry......and 2 digestive biscuits (dunkers)...whilst reading the sun..:lol:

us norfolk boys know how to live

Super write up and brings back many memories as most of my deer shooting these days is from static positions.  I agree on the liver/kidneys etc., terrible waste if you do not eat them.  My favorite is roe liver and sliced very thin, less than 1/4 inch then dipped in beaten egg then rolled in porridge oats which have had a good mix of black peper and a pinch of salt added, then fried in butter until the oats are browning.  The idea of the oats which works for all liver, is to keep the liver off the searing hot skillet surface and so does not leather up.  When the oats are just browning the liver will be cooked through and delicious.  I also use some Cajun mix seasoning instead of black pepper & salt.

A couple of rashers of dry smoked bacon and a couple of Lincolnshire sausages, a round of black pudding , fried bread and baked beans finishes the job. Washed down with a couple of large mugs of black strength 6 coffee.