Use of shotgun on own boundary

bunnybasher84

One part of my job on a shoot I worked on years ago was shooting and trapping cock pheasants (also drakes) at the end of the season. Beaters day was also only cock birds. Anyway off point, but i shot quite a few in my time there and as stu said above, no matter what I shot them with, air or rf, in the head always resulted in them flapping. They are dead but moving is all. I wasn't allowed to chest shoot as the meat would be damaged and unsellable. But that's not to say I didn't at times as I knew a lot of the meat went north for animal food processing and a 22rf stops them in their tracks as it would most things. 

Garden use, sub 30 yards, airgun all day long. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Think walkedup as answered the question but I will also add that to many cocks fighting and chasing hens will also push birds away.

During catchup Feb/March if a keeper thought there were to many cock birds any caught in the traps had their necks pulled.

And that leads onto a question, if game birds are classed as live stock whilst penned and wild once released, what is the status of caught-up birds that are penned, wild or live stock?

Would stretching there necks in Feb / March be classed as killing game out of season , not that I am over bothered , just wondered if that was legally allowed .

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Would stretching there necks in Feb / March be classed as killing game out of season , not that I am over bothered , just wondered if that was legally allowed .

Hence my question in the same post.

And that leads onto a question, if game birds are classed as live stock whilst penned and wild once released, what is the status of caught-up birds that are penned, wild or live stock?

To be honest I doubt if they would be bothered.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Hence my question in the same post.

To be honest I doubt if they would be bothered.

Best not to ask those sort of questions :lol:

On the same sort of subject , I was always led to believe that the 1st of Feb was a extra day to trim the cock birds out , whereas the inland duck season finish on the last day of Jan , a couple of years ago we were shooting Pheasants on the first when a good Redleg came sailing over right above me , I left it alone thinking it was out of season , the captain got out his smart phone and assured me they were still in season on the Feb 1st , so did the Partridges get an extra day as well to trim the cocks out ? , strange laws if you ask me .

I shoot a few turkeys every year with 22LR. Aim for base of neck. Bigger target and moves less than the head. Big birds and they fall down. There's a lot of flapping. Same happens with headshots. I've seen decapitated turkeys do the same. I've heard it said that turkeys are too stupid to know they are dead. I'm inclined to agree. 

Pheasant or not, this sounds like an exercise pest control. As long as it's legal, an air rifle would be my tool of choice.  

40 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

And here’s me thinking that in 2005 they made it unlawful to shoot a game bird on the ground 🤔🤔

So in pre 2005 were we well within the law shooting long tails up a tree at night , or was there a , ( not during the hours of darkness law ) to spoil it , mind you that was that long ago , it was in those far off days when you could get more for your Pheasants than the cost of fuel to go out a few miles to carry out our night time activities :lol:

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

That dosent make it lawful I suspect if you looked into it

Just had a mooch and its not mentioned ,as far as I can see, on the uk.gov license pages, basc code of practice or "The Code of Good Shooting Practice"

https://www.gov.uk/hunting

https://basc.org.uk/advice/quarry-species-shooting-seasons/

Hi old’Un when game birds are in a pen ie reared ,they are classed as livestock. When released they are wild birds ,in your garden they are still wild birds . When captured and put in a pen they become livestock again. This is question, should a wild bird be caged. If game keepers are killing game birds l can’t see why they can’t be shot in a garden. My permit for rime fires state for shooting vermin, game birds wouldn’t be vermin. If shotgun pellets are fired over your boundaries it is a civil matter, bullets or air gun pellets is a crime. I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said he would shoot pheasant in his garden.

Dr NO (Avery) was on about this. Encouraging his followers to shoot/dispatch pheasants in there gardens. Even on about getting them put on GLs to do it. One reckoned he got so many he put a large bird table up to feed them to kites and eagles. Yeah right! Strange lot. And sill they get taken seriously and sit at the top table!  Bizarre!    NB

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t know how to do links sorry hopefully a screen shot will help 

DF9C0AF1-64A0-4480-BDD8-2849ADFA37A9.png

It is unlawful I believe, to do so in some states in the USA, but as far as I’m aware it isn’t ( yet ) in the UK. 
I can’t find anything regarding legislation regarding this, and google doesn’t really cut it. 

Just now, Fisheruk said:

Who would believe a Wikipedia? 🤣

Probably someone who asks PW a question 😂😂😊😊

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

It is unlawful I believe, to do so in some states in the USA, but as far as I’m aware it isn’t ( yet ) in the UK. 
I can’t find anything regarding legislation regarding this, and google doesn’t really cut it. 

Fair enough 👍😊

20 hours ago, bunnybasher84 said:

Afternoon all,

Can someone clarify the law on using a shotgun within your own boundary? My garden is quarter of an acre quite overgrown in places with a 6ft thick timber fence around the boundary... In the last few weeks I've been getting a fair few game bird's on my garden and fancied having a pop at them. Now I'm not daft, I'd never shoot while they were in the air I'd only shoot while they're on the ground so the trajectory is at a downward angle. Is this allowed as I've heard mix opinions. Thanks. ☺️

Can you not just enjoy seeing the game birds in your garden, just because you own a gun you don’t have to kill everything you see 🤬