Use of shotgun on own boundary

bunnybasher84

This is the home office ‘good reason to posses a firearm’ read 13.19, I know its dated 2013 but I have looked at most of the updates for this and can find no change in the rules on shooting ‘game’ on the ground, also I think most FAC have the abbreviation AOLQ.

Home Office...http://library.college.police.uk/docs/homeoffice/Guide-on-Firearms-Licensing-Law-2012-13-Good-reason.pdf

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi the law states that all birds are protected, this is over looked by most shooters. Some birds are on the general licence, some have open shooting seasons. Game birds no longer have a kill game licence. If game birds are on you land or you have authority you can kill them. Once a game birds are released they will be classed as wild birds. If you or any game keeper kill them in closed season it’s a crime. Mr Avery friends would be better catching the pheasants , put them in a pen and sell them back to the game keeper as livestock. If they have any sense they would sell them as rescue birds for £100 each ,every garden should have a couple.

51 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Can you not just enjoy seeing the game birds in your garden, just because you own a gun you don’t have to kill everything you see 🤬

Can't you just enjoy seeing gamebirds in the woods instead of having 20 people drive them to a line of guns? 

Just because you own a gun you don't have to kill everything you see. 

16 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Can't you just enjoy seeing gamebirds in the woods instead of having 20 people drive them to a line of guns? 

Just one for the pot, 🤔who said they kill everything they see. 

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

There’s a slight difference going out enjoying a days sporting shooting giving the birds a fair chance than shooting game birds on the ground in your garden, why not encourage this guy to pop off the songbirds as well?

Edited by blackbird

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

There’s a slight difference going out enjoying a days sporting shooting giving the birds a fair chance than shooting game birds on the ground in your garden, why not encourage this guy to pop off the songbirds as well? 

Because that would be illegal. 

There is no reason why he can't shoot gamebirds in his back garden if he wants. 

Personally I'd trap them and ring their necks like Rimfire says. Way more efficient. Annoyed I haven't thought to do that before. 

Edited by ClemFandango

20 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Personally I'd trap them and ring their necks like Rimfire says. Way more efficient. Annoyed I haven't thought to do that before. 

But you don't HAVE to do that either,,,, 🤔 Why not just leave them alone in your gardens, or do the 'dirty deed' and don't tell everybody on t'internet 👋

5 hours ago, blackbird said:

Can you not just enjoy seeing the game birds in your garden, just because you own a gun you don’t have to kill everything you see 🤬

Likewise please explain the reasoning behind released game birds, which are carefully and selectively bred and specifically enticed into certain areas to be shot for the purpose of sport. 

I ain't even anti game. But if your going to make a argument, he wants one for the pot. So be it. Should it be unsporting to shoot a rabbit sat still?! Or only foxes on the run? Next time I see a pigeon land on the deck I'll just sit there and enjoy it... 

Please don't be a spokes man for any shooting orgs in the future, they have enough on their plate

20 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Likewise please explain the reasoning behind released game birds, which are carefully and selectively bred and specifically enticed into certain areas to be shot for the purpose of sport. 

I ain't even anti game. But if your going to make a argument, he wants one for the pot. So be it. Should it be unsporting to shoot a rabbit sat still?! Or only foxes on the run? Next time I see a pigeon land on the deck I'll just sit there and enjoy it... 

Please don't be a spokes man for any shooting orgs in the future, they have enough on their plate

Where in his post does he say he only wants one for the POT ???  In his post he wrote “ I fancy having a pop at them” now read the post pal 🥴

On 28/11/2020 at 13:26, bunnybasher84 said:

Afternoon all,

Can someone clarify the law on using a shotgun within your own boundary? My garden is quarter of an acre quite overgrown in places with a 6ft thick timber fence around the boundary... In the last few weeks I've been getting a fair few game bird's on my garden and fancied having a pop at them. Now I'm not daft, I'd never shoot while they were in the air I'd only shoot while they're on the ground so the trajectory is at a downward angle. Is this allowed as I've heard mix opinions. Thanks. ☺️

I ain’t no anti but I can tell you one thing this guy is giving the antis plenty of ammo.

Edited by blackbird

18 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I ain’t no anti but I can tell you one thing this guy is giving the antis plenty of ammo.

He could have perhaps worded it better, but all I can see is he is asking if its ok to shoot pheasants on his property, unless I have missed something.

1 hour ago, JKD said:

But you don't HAVE to do that either,,,, 🤔 Why not just leave them alone in your gardens, or do the 'dirty deed' and don't tell everybody on t'internet 👋

There is nothing "Dirty" about it. If there is then all of our shooting is dirty. 

I shoot them in my garden and around the farm with my rimfire for two reasons, one. They taste good. 2, they eat my bloody veg. They are worse than Pigeons. 

2 hours ago, JKD said:

I think you could apply the same reasoning to a few things we shoot and post pictures of.

5 hours ago, blackbird said:

Can’t agree, when you see how much money some people pay to shoot game birds for “sport”, and the scandal of birds going to waste from some of the big shoots, I’m not talking little private shoots, I think it is much better to humanely shoot a bird with a 22lr., to eat it when you want it, than shoot at hundreds and maime a few which are not really wanted in any event as sport!. If you only want one or two for the pot all of the others live for another day. Can’t be more humane than that.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

Can’t agree, when you see how much money some people pay to shoot game birds for “sport”, and the scandal of birds going to waste from some of the big shoots, I’m not talking little private shoots, I think it is much better to humanely shoot a bird with a 22lr., to eat it when you want it, than shoot at hundreds and maime a few which are not really wanted in any event as sport!. If you only want one or two for the pot all of the others live for another day. Can’t be more humane than that.

Here we go again!

So we don’t hijack this thread would you mind starting another thread in which you can provide evidence of ‘birds going to waste from some of the big shoots’. 
Cheers. 

3 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

There is nothing "Dirty" about it. If there is then all of our shooting is dirty. 

I shoot them in my garden and around the farm with my rimfire for two reasons, one. They taste good. 2, they eat my bloody veg. They are worse than Pigeons. 

Re the 'dirty deed', I think you are misunderstanding the connotation 🙄 As for your other sentence, got no bother about that at all,,,, fill ya boots [not literally of course 😂].

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I think you could apply the same reasoning to a few things we shoot and post pictures of.

I agree, but don't include me in your "we" 😉

Hi the man asked about the law regarding shooting in his garden, l gave him my opinion, l suggest that he confirms it and goes from there. He said he had mixed opinions, he has a lot more now. If it’s legal it’s for him to decide. The shooting of game birds with firearms l would check the conditions for use before using one. The shooting of game birds at the end of the shooting season by paid employees, for sport/ pest control, maybe this is the answer to the missing game birds. The way forward is to ask your shooting organisations re the law. Please let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi the man asked about the law regarding shooting in his garden, l gave him my opinion, l suggest that he confirms it and goes from there. He said he had mixed opinions, he has a lot more now. If it’s legal it’s for him to decide. The shooting of game birds with firearms l would check the conditions for use before using one. The shooting of game birds at the end of the shooting season by paid employees, for sport/ pest control, maybe this is the answer to the missing game birds. The way forward is to ask your shooting organisations re the law. Please let us know how you get on.

To clarify, to shoot birds with any FAC rifle you either need Avian on your ticket or All Lawful Quarry (ALQ) and if you have a restricted ticket the ground needs to be cleared for the calibre  you choose to use. If you have an open ticket the decision is yours.

Edited by Fisheruk

Hi yes, l was l suggesting people check their  conditions . Reading the replies I can’t understand why a business would pay employees to kill the assets of the business at the end of the season ,when they look after them and protect them. Sorry to go off the original question but it doesn’t make sense to me .

3 hours ago, JKD said:

Re the 'dirty deed', I think you are misunderstanding the connotation 🙄 As for your other sentence, got no bother about that at all,,,, fill ya boots [not literally of course 😂].

I agree, but don't include me in your "we" 😉

So you dont post any pictures of things you have shot?

7 hours ago, old'un said:

So you dont post any pictures of things you have shot?

I have done in the past, and recently an old old picture,,,, all of legal quarry shot in a legal ethical way. But this isn't about posting pictures of things we have shot, it's about shooting the odd pheasant on the ground in a garden, something even I could do, as many [and a few partridge] visit my GF's garden being released from a local shoot. I don't 😉

And I was commenting on ClemFandango's reply, please read it as it was meant, and stop trying to twist things around to suit you 👍