Use of shotgun on own boundary

bunnybasher84

3 hours ago, JKD said:

I have done in the past, and recently an old old picture,,,, all of legal quarry shot in a legal ethical way. But this isn't about posting pictures of things we have shot, it's about shooting the odd pheasant on the ground in a garden, something even I could do, as many [and a few partridge] visit my GF's garden being released from a local shoot. I don't 😉

And I was commenting on ClemFandango's reply, please read it as it was meant, and stop trying to twist things around to suit you 👍

Not trying to twist things around or have a dig at you, just replying to a post on an open forum.

My point was, if you post a write-up and pictures of thing you have shot, you then become “we” but then tell the OP, “do the dirty deed but not to tell everyone on the internet”

could be a case of practise what “we” preach.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but the antis are going to be antis whatever is said/done/photographed. Whether you're killing an animal or bird for "sport", food, herd management or pest control, people are going to get upset. Maybe it's time to come out the shadows? Keep it legal and ethical (to me that means a humane kill and not much else) and stop worrying about it. 

55 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but the antis are going to be antis whatever is said/done/photographed. Whether you're killing an animal or bird for "sport", food, herd management or pest control, people are going to get upset. Maybe it's time to come out the shadows? Keep it legal and ethical (to me that means a humane kill and not much else) and stop worrying about it. 

Here here!

The radicalised ‘animal rights’ brigade will hate us whatever we do. Just get on with it. Head shoot your garden pheasants with a 12 ft/lb air rifle - as has been sensibly suggested above. Don’t get too bent out of shape by some of the rather whacky tangents - which your straight forward question seems to have generated. Enjoy the tasty pheasant!

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Not trying to twist things around or have a dig at you, just replying to a post on an open forum.

My point was, if you post a write-up and pictures of thing you have shot, you then become “we” but then tell the OP, “do the dirty deed but not to tell everyone on the internet”

could be a case of practise what “we” preach.

Once again you are misunderstanding my reply. The "dirty deed" I'm referring to is shooting a pheasant on the ground in a garden,,,, something which doesn't seem to be very popular on here. I never said I disagree with posting pictures of [legally, morally, ethically shot] dead things. 🤔

Do you now understand my conversation ?

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Here here!

The radicalised ‘animal rights’ brigade will hate us whatever we do. Just get on with it. Head shoot your garden pheasants with a 12 ft/lb air rifle - as has been sensibly suggested above. Don’t get too bent out of shape by some of the rather whacky tangents - which your straight forward question seems to have generated. Enjoy the tasty pheasant!

I agree wholeheartedly,,,, the point I've been trying to get across 😏

31 minutes ago, JKD said:

Once again you are misunderstanding my reply. The "dirty deed" I'm referring to is shooting a pheasant on the ground in a garden,,,, something which doesn't seem to be very popular on here. I never said I disagree with posting pictures of [legally, morally, ethically shot] dead things. 🤔

Do you now understand my conversation ?

I agree wholeheartedly,,,, the point I've been trying to get across 😏

Not really, but never mind, this conversation could go on forever.

Just a note on a point nobody has picked up on.  It is illegal to "take" a game bird outside of its defined season which, as well as lethal methods, includes trapping.

Due to the amount of knickers which seem to have found themselves in a rather twisted state as this topic has progressed, I think it's quite futile to add any fresh opinion on the original subject!

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Just a note on a point nobody has picked up on.  It is illegal to "take" a game bird outside of its defined season which, as well as lethal methods, includes trapping.

Due to the amount of knickers which seem to have found themselves in a rather twisted state as this topic has progressed, I think it's quite futile to add any fresh opinion on the original subject!

That was mentioned within the first few replies and Gas seal mentioned it a page ago. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Sorry, I wasn’t aware, I stopped reading all the replies a while ago. 

Really no need for saying sorry 😉

After 4 pages of many differing 'points of view' we've finally reached the correct advice, despite it being already said pages ago 👍 🤣 [that's all to be taken humorously 😆]

Edited by JKD

26 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I thought the rule was not to discharge a firearm within 50 feet, even pointed away?

The rule is from the centre of a highway if memory serves, but in reality you can stand in the road if you want; the important thing is that you don’t impede or interrupt anyone using it. 
Why people ( and in particular shooters for some reason ) insist in making things as difficuilt as possible for themselves, is beyond me. Some even like to create problems where none exist! 

Edited by Scully

Scully is right. Lots of people misunderstand the 50 ft rule. It is merely an arbitrary distance for judgement in court (should a case be brought) and not a legal requirement. 

“It is an offence to discharge a firearm within 50ft of the centre of a public highway, whereupon a person is killed threatened or injured” Highways Act. 

In other words don’t cause any one to feel threatened (that’s the one that’s a little grey and open to interpretation), definitely don’t injure or kill someone....and your legally in the clear. 

However, there are legal pentameters......and, well, decent behavior. Most people would consider discharging a shotgun close to a busy road (or housing) as a little antisocial and not quite the done thing.