Ringneck Parakeets and squirrels

JKD

Just thought I'd post some old pictures to get a bit of a different colour onto the forum 😊

These were from a small area on an exclusive permission I had back in the winter of 2010/11. Could only access the area [fishing lakes] while it was very cold and icy, and the lakes were frozen and unfishable, or when the area was closed for maintenance work.

The parakeets were dropping in from their journey to,,,, who knows 😏 The squirrels were in plentiful supply, and their population replenished itself regularly. I think I shot about 24 in about 4/5 weeks, then the thaw came so the shooting had to stop πŸ˜’ Hey ho, it was great while it lasted 😁

The parakeet in the tree waited until I took a picture of it,,,, approx 30yds heart/lung shot.

The bunch of squirrels were shot at dawn, in quite quick succession,,,, two in about 5 seconds 😳 a third about 2 minutes later,,,, the fourth about 20 minutes after that 😊 Very satisfying 😁 Lots of the squirrels dropped into heavy brambles etc so were un-retrievable.

Gave up my membership soon after, so the permission went with it unfortunately 😞

005.JPG

007.JPG

017.JPG

014.JPG

Edited by JKD
Spelling/predictive text

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Problem is they are bright birds and attractive,Β  but they are going to cause problems..... And have been for many years !!!

In my eyes they are more damaging than the grey squirrel. But they are way more difficult to shoot than the squizzers πŸ˜’

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

In my eyes they are more damaging than the grey squirrel. But they are way more difficult to shoot than the squizzers πŸ˜’

They certainly will be to other bird species,Β  but lots of people will think they are just attractive birds, they won't see the damage they will be doing.Β 

32 minutes ago, Mice! said:

They certainly will be to other bird species,Β  but lots of people will think they are just attractive birds, they won't see the damage they will be doing.Β 

Yup I agree. Also very damaging to certain plants and fruit crops. In great numbers the noise pollution is incredible 😯

My first close up experience of them was watching a pair chucking out very young starlings from an old woodpecker's nest,,,, very brutal and eye opening at the time, in c1975 πŸ˜’

The Greens are definitely spreading in many places. I was sitting in a wood waiting for squirrels 5 years ago when I heard the unmistakable screech as a pair flew past from their roost. Now it’s a regular occurrence. Very skittish too. Shoot one and the flock is off.

I remember a friend talking about going down into Kent to shoot the darn things 20 years ago in the orchards down there. Have not seen any yet but will keep the 410 well oiled.Β  I wonder if a drop cage similar to that we use for corvids would work or would they climb out?

Edited by Walker570

I worked on a site near Slough last year and there was a flock of about 25 bouncing about the area .every time I even walked near (40 yds ) they were off to another tree and that was just me in high viz etc showing them no threat .

I'd imagine stalking them to be as pointless as trying to creep up on a flock of magpies .

Id suspect trapping orΒ baiting to be most effective .