Sunrise and a few pigeons

Mightymariner

I haven't had any time recently to get out, so today I made the effort to rise before the dawn and see what the pigeons were doing. I have about 200 acres of rape about five minutes from home and this week the owner had messaged me to say pigeons had found it. 

These fields rise up towards a stretch of Scots Pines, which bisect four of the plots, making it a great place to show any of the four fields. I parked on the roadside and had an easy walk down to the firs. Gun, few shells, flask of tea and a small seat was all I needed.

It was 7.30am as I reached the pines, and already a few pigeons clattered off. I was surprised they were there so early.

I planned to sit in the middle of the trees, which run for several hundred yards but are only 20ft wide, and see what the birds did when they arrived. It was more of a recce for future visits than anything else.

As I climbed the fence a large fox skulked off from a small pit below.

Settling in, a few pigeons passed high overhead and some swooped low to the side. It was clear they were using the pines as a flightpath, some going to distant trees, a few circling and dropping in too far away.

Soon enough I had a couple of shots, missed as the birds slipped over the tops of the trees. Then I connected with one slipping sideways over the branches, clattering down a few feet away.

I had a few more shots, a couple just to see what birds were sitting up further away, and connected with one long one which dropped out in the field. Three in the bag was more than I expected. Plus I now had some valuable information on the birds' movements which will help on the next trip.

There's not picture of the bag, I think you all know what three dead pigeons look like. So instead the picture is of the sun rising over the east coast over one of the fields.

thumbnail_IMG_1603.jpg

1 hour ago, Mightymariner said:

I haven't had any time recently to get out, so today I made the effort to rise before the dawn and see what the pigeons were doing. I have about 200 acres of rape about five minutes from home and this week the owner had messaged me to say pigeons had found it. 

These fields rise up towards a stretch of Scots Pines, which bisect four of the plots, making it a great place to show any of the four fields. I parked on the roadside and had an easy walk down to the firs. Gun, few shells, flask of tea and a small seat was all I needed.

It was 7.30am as I reached the pines, and already a few pigeons clattered off. I was surprised they were there so early.

I planned to sit in the middle of the trees, which run for several hundred yards but are only 20ft wide, and see what the birds did when they arrived. It was more of a recce for future visits than anything else.

As I climbed the fence a large fox skulked off from a small pit below.

Settling in, a few pigeons passed high overhead and some swooped low to the side. It was clear they were using the pines as a flightpath, some going to distant trees, a few circling and dropping in too far away.

Soon enough I had a couple of shots, missed as the birds slipped over the tops of the trees. Then I connected with one slipping sideways over the branches, clattering down a few feet away.

I had a few more shots, a couple just to see what birds were sitting up further away, and connected with one long one which dropped out in the field. Three in the bag was more than I expected. Plus I now had some valuable information on the birds' movements which will help on the next trip.

There's not picture of the bag, I think you all know what three dead pigeons look like. So instead the picture is of the sun rising over the east coast over one of the fields.

thumbnail_IMG_1603.jpg

We have had some nice sun rises and sunsets lately and a perfect excuse to be out at that time of the day with the added bonus in shooting a few pigeons .

Just seeing the numbers give you hope when conditions turn more favourable and you have got a bit more time on your hands .

Good report along with the photo , Thanks for sharing .